Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-31-08, 15:44
Registered Member

Plan: atkinsy
Stats: 230/219/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default smoking and exercise

this is going to sound fairly ridiculous, but here goes... i really want to quit smoking at some point, but the process of losing weight is a little stressful for me, and cigarettes provide me with instant stress relief (i know, i know...). but because of what smoking does for circulation and breathing, i'm worried that i'll instantly keel over from a heart attack while on my stationary bike or while lifting weights. does continuing to smoke while starting an exercise program pose an immediate health hazard?

i just can't imagine tackling these two things at the same time (giving up smoking + eating better and working out), but maybe i'm making excuses... i figure once i get deep into taking care of myself in one sense, i'll go all the way and kick the habit. but is this going to totally kill me (or is it impossible to tell)?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-08, 07:32

Plan: who knows???
Stats: 208/173/175 Male 66"
BF:
Progress: 106%

I used to smoke, and for years I smoked and exercised until I got to the point where I couldnt advance my exercise any more without cutting back or quitting. Even today I watch people walk out the door at the gym and light up.

Short of it is, adding exercise to smoking is not gonna make you drop over dead, its just gonna hold you back. I say go ahead and start the exercise program and once you have established that, let things take their course.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-08, 18:57

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

sandwiches, it's hard to answer your question without knowing first what your general state of health is.
My advice would be to see your doctor and have a good overall checkup and then ask them about it, especially if it's been a while since you've been involved in any form of steady, strenuous excercise.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-08, 09:28
Registered Member

Plan: General LC
Stats: 226/163/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Short of it is, adding exercise to smoking is not gonna make you drop over dead, its just gonna hold you back. I say go ahead and start the exercise program and once you have established that, let things take their course.

i agree with leaddog. i still smoke and exercise. although i would like to quit sometime soon, but one step at a time. i can't do everything at once otherwise i give up. that's why i started exercising again, now i'm working on my diet, then i figure i'll eventually quit smoking. smoking DOES hold you back. that's why i've been walking instead of jogging or running. =\