Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 16:32

Plan: Somersizing
Stats: 180/143/125 Female 5 feet, 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Somersizing

Hi,

I'm a new member here, but I've been Somersizing since 1999. It has worked very well for me. I can probably answer most questions you might have about the plan. I initially lost 20 pounds, stalled, then lost more, gained some back, lost again, etc., but in total, I've lost over 45 pounds. I've taken long breaks from Level 1, but when I do I mostly stay on Level 2. Except for around the holidays. I usually gain about 5-7 pounds then, but I go right back to Level 1 SS and lost that and then some. Most of all, I love the way SSing cuts out my sugar cravings, helps me to feel more energetic, and is a well-balanced plan that includes whole grains, whole foods, fresh produce, homemade foods, etc. Of course, I know Suzanne's been developing food products, but I've never bought any. My DH once gave me her Creme Brulee Kit, but it was bitter tasting to us, so that was that.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and offer what I know about SS to anyone who needs it.

~Ginny
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 18:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/240/175 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

Hi! I miss the SS discussion board too! It has been a really long time...sigh!

I quit SS in July when I learned I was type II diabetic. I was worried about how I would react to the carb meals and SomerSweet. I switched to Atkins and have done well, but I miss my fruit in the morning, and I think I actually felt better. Since I am controlling my diabetes with diet, it is especially important to have a woe that I can live with. I am thinking about returning to SS, but it is hard without the support of the website. I have two of the books and the latest recipe contest cookbook. I guess I will re-read them this week and then come here for support. This is a great bunch. I have learned a lot from everyone!

I'll be checking in every day! I am looking forward to getting to know you all!
Chris
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 21:25
Healthy Glam'ma

Plan: Atkins-Suzanne Somers
Stats: 280/188/160 Female 67"
BF:weigh/too/much
Progress: 77%
Smile Thank goodness I found this site!!

[FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=Blue]
Hello, somersizer's!!
I am glad to have found this thread, because I too have been going through "support withdrawl" since the site went down.
For those who have just started, I found reading her books renews my enthusiasm.
This winter has been long and cold, and most of us are feeling a lot of "cabin fever". So I was delighted to come across this site, happily going through the threads, reading how well others are doing, and that kept me from snacking my way through the evening!
I also sent an e-mail to the webmaster, also received a reply about the crash of the server, but there is still no set date for its return.
However, now we have each other!!!
Look forward to hearing from you, and I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about this WOE.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 14:25

Plan: sommersizing
Stats: 203/190/150 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 25%

HI Nana: I noticed that you do atkins and ss. I have been doing a combination of the two as well. Do you follow one plan for a day or a week and then switch? How do you do it?
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 09:37
Registered Member

Plan: general low-carb lifestyle
Stats: 170/156/140 Female 5'-9"
BF:Like butter!
Progress: 47%

She's baaaaaack. Online, that is.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-04, 03:43
Registered Member

Plan: ONLY "ORIGINAL" 72 Atkins
Stats: // Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

peaceginny.... Hi, i'd love to hear anything you'd have to say about SS. Saw her on HSN so much years ago about it, and sounds interesting and I have all her books but never really got into it because of a real slow metabolism and now diabetic and don't think allowing the carbs would work for me, but really think this is an interesting concept of non-combining and wonder why it hasn't been publically recognized more widely since it's kind of an answer to a more 'tolerable' and modified Atkins, and don't hear much about it.....

Followed Atkins all my life..... decades, since teens. Not always really strictly ''dieting'' but just the basic way of eating, and this sounds like such a great way [better way] to be able to have carbs daily, and not be so restricted.....

I only have basic knowledge of it..... don't mix carbs with fats & proteins, eat fruit only an hour away from meals, etc. and that's basically all I remember, except for having read that she discovered this while visiting friends in Europe, which I read in one of her books about how it all started......

How are you finding it? Would love to hear more. I see you lost 55 lbs. That's fabulous and congratulations! Was that by strictly following THIS? I have about 20 I'd love to get off but not really trying that much, just automatically losing some, because of being careful with my sugar problem and Atkins is really my basic way of eating in general so I always automatically resort to that, and fall back on it, and have been experimenting with the new Dreamfields pasta, but it IS cutting down my keytones, but showing negative sugar on the 'stix' test [don't know if you're familiar with what that is if you're not a follower of Atkins].....

Anyway, anything you could tell me about your experiences with this I'd love to hear. Been fascinated by this concept for a very long time, though never tried it. Thanks.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-04, 03:59
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Oh, also TERESAV..... that sounds very interesting [combining Atkins AND ss!] I guess that would work, although I guess it wouldn't really be Atkins unless still keeping the carb part at a minimum and checking by the ketostix how MUCH carbs you can tolerate even when eating your carb only meals....

But then there would still be the carb RESTRICTIONS and you couldn't eat much for those carb meals, right? How do you do that combination of both..... with atkins severe carb restrictions? Although, maybe it IS very simple [but not on induction.... only at Atkins PROGRESSED levels].

I'm guessing that the amount of carbs that you ARE allowed to eat on a daily basis, which your body will tolerate to keep you still in ketosis, you just eat in one meal all together, not mixing with your protein meals? That would be my logical conclusion. But for those who are very carb sensitive and IN-tolerant, that wouldn't amount to much food in those carb meals. Would love to hear more. Thanks
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-04, 04:10
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

PS.... my above posts are addressed to ANYONE here who can contribute. CHRISF, just noticed you too are a diabetic as I am, and was following SS along with Atkins, Would LOVE to hear all about that! How are you handling the carbs in SS, since you said you're thinking of going back to it from Atkins? Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much response in these forums. I HOPE everyone is still around :-(
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-04, 04:39
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

ROSARUGOSA [or ANYONE]..... what is the actual difference between Atkins and South Beach? Haven't really gotten down to exploring South Beach yet. Anyone have a crash course of a sentence or two... just the MAIN differences in concept of each? [Just how SOUTH BEACH differs from Atkins... I already know Atkins and have been following that for many decades, it's south beach I don't know about, nor how it COMPARES to atkins] thanks
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-04, 12:02
Registered Member

Plan: looking into g.i. diet
Stats: 248/187/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 59%

Hey, I'm a somersizer, and so far i've lost 38 lbs. I feel that this program is great for me b/c there isn't any "counting". Yes, you have to wait, but 3 meals a day are usually 3 meals apart for me anyway!

I don't have any sugar, including dextrose and maltodextrin, but sometimes there's just a small bit in the supplements I take...oh well

I think it's more friendly than Atkins, in the case that you don't go into ketosis, and well first the breath won't scare people away
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-04, 17:13
Registered Member

Plan: atkins new diet revoluti
Stats: 292.6/250/130 Female 170
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default hi

i am new to LC but i have been reading what you guys wrote about ss what is this and what sort of food do you eat on eat i ahve not heard of this before but would be interested to learn more thanks
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-04, 15:18
Registered Member

Plan: looking into g.i. diet
Stats: 248/187/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 59%

well basically it's food combining. carbs separate, proteins+fats separate, and fruits on an empty stomach. You can find alot of information at suzannesomers.com. You don't need to limit portions, or count anything, the main issue is to make sure and leave 3 hours b/w pro/fat meals and carb meals, and fruits eat 20 min before a car meal and 1 hour before a pro/fat meal, and if you want to eat fruit after any meal wait two hours. I know this might sound very confusing, but it's really easy and you'll get the hang of it after a few days.

I have had excellent sucess with it so far.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 22:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (60 carbs)
Stats: 150/150/000 Male ?? (12, above-avg male)
BF:
Progress: 0%

my mom ss's.