Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-06, 08:24

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default Eye-popping study about pressure

http://www.newsday.com/news/health/...ny-health-print

Improper weight lifting can create intense eye strain, lead to blindness

BY DELTHIA RICKS
Newsday Staff Writer

September 12, 2006

Lifting weights improperly can cause an increase in potentially damaging eye pressure, especially when lifters hold their breath during repetitions, a team of Manhattan researchers report today.

The role of intense pressure during exercise joins a growing body of studies that have looked at everything from tight clothing to blowing into wind instruments as causes of strain on the inner eye, which is seen as a risk factor for glaucoma, a leading cause of blindness.

"I had been thinking about conducting this study for 20 years," said Dr. Robert Ritch, a professor of clinical ophthalmology and chief of the glaucoma service at Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital. "At that time we had a number of patients who had experienced an unusual phenomenon related to glaucoma."

One patient developed severe intra-eye pressure while performing yoga exercises, requiring handstands; another had been held hostage in Iran and was forced to hang upside down. In each instance, the unusual position forced blood pressure to increase in the jugular veins, and hence inside the eyes. The yoga exerciser became blind as a result.

Intrigued by his early observations, Ritch wondered whether weight lifters experienced a similar phenomenon, especially when they held their breath during intense repetitions.

Working with collaborators in Brazil, Ritch measured how pressure increased in the eyes of 30 men between the ages of 18 and 40. None of the test subjects were affected by glaucoma. All had normal eye pressure and were required as part of the analysis to perform four repetitions of a bench press exercise in two ways.

In the first, pressure was measured in the right eye as lifters held their breath during a 150-pound bench press. In the second, pressure was measured in the left eye as participants breathed normally throughout the exercise. During the first round, intraocular pressure increased in 27 participants. In the second round, pressure increased in 18 weight lifters. The study demonstrated that pressure was greatest when lifters held their breath. Because all the weight lifters in the study were healthy, increased eye pressure was temporary. Exhaling while lifting weights is important, Ritch said, to prevent unnecessary pressure in the eyes.

Ritch said the increased pressure might be because of greater pressure in the chest, which occurs as air is retained in the lungs. Complete results appear in today's Archives of Ophthalmology. The team concluded that weight lifting can increase intraocular pressure so significantly as to pose a risk for someone who might be predisposed to glaucoma. The condition is an insidious blinding disorder marked by increased intraocular pressure.

Three years ago, Dr. Theodore Krupin of Northwestern University in Illinois found that men who wore tight neckties also experienced a potentially damaging increase in intraocular pressure.

"It is a well-known fact that high intraocular pressure is one of the key risk factors for glaucoma," said Scott Christensen, president of The Glaucoma Foundation in New York City. "Any activity that elevates intraocular pressure places the patient at the greatest risk."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-06, 09:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

A few years ago a really disgusting photo was floating around the exercise forums. It showed a cometitive power lifter who prolapsed his rectum. About a foot of colon was sticking out of his rectum as he lay beneath the squat rack. One more thing to worry about if you feel the need to pump iron. I'm not sure which would be worse: blindness or having your colon splatter on the floor during a competition. :-)
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-07, 19:59

Plan: 4wks on 1 wk off, forever
Stats: 234/212/189 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 49%

This is why I stopped doing squats and deadlifts. When I started doing heavier deadlifts, my pressure increased so high inside my eyes that with each heartbeat it seemed as if lightning was streaking across my vision. Never completely went away - 95-99% recovery depending on the day.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-21-07, 18:15

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

Jeeeesus. OMG. that's a real good reason to remember to breathe!!!!