Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-12, 12:18
Dr. Atkins was Right

Plan: Atkins (Breastfeeding)
Stats: 221/188.6/150 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%
Cool Low Carb Fish Cakes (Croquettes) with Dill Sauce

From my blog. This recipe made Chowstalker on Sunday.

Low Carb Fish Cakes (Croquettes) with Dill Sauce

Nutritional information and more background info/serving suggestions are available on the blog post. Enjoy!

Quote:
Fish cakes, aka “croquettes” or “fish patties,” are staple fare in various parts of the American South—any place, in fact, where canned fish is more affordable than fresh or frozen. Fish cakes are usually made with flour and corn meal, but I didn’t want to miss out on the budget benefits of this dish....

Low Carb Fish Cakes

Ingredients

3 eggs
1 Tbsp dried onion flakes
1/2 tsp pepper
optional: 1 tsp dill (omit if making the dill sauce)
optional: 2 tsp parsley
3 6- or 7-ounce cans of tuna, salmon, or mackerel*, well drained
1/4 – 3/8 cup flax meal

*Mackerel may not be available in anything under 12 ounces. In that case, use two 12-ounce cans and 4 eggs, and adjust the seasonings a bit. (The important thing to remember is 1 egg to every 6-7 ounces of fish.)

Directions

Whisk the eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add the seasonings and mix well. (We’re starting with the eggs and seasonings so the dried onion can start absorbing some moisture.)
Stir in the fish until the fish is evenly distributed in the egg mixture.
Mix in 1/4 cup of the flax meal. Start by using a spoon or fork, then move on to kneading with your hands. The mixture will begin to feel a bit more “stiff” under your hands. Knead until the texture of the mixture is even throughout.
You may need a little more flax meal, but not much. You want a fairly loose patty that holds together but still feels moist. A mixture that’s dry and “tight” will become too dense and gummy when cooked. Knead in just enough flax meal, then form the mixture into 8-10 patties.
Put some cooking oil in a large skillet and heat it over medium heat. Place patties in the skillet (you’ll only be able to fit 4-6 at a time). Cook until medium brown on one side, then flip them and brown the other side. Place on a paper-towel lined plate when done.
Add more oil to the skillet as needed between batches. After all the patties have been cooked, move immediately into making the dill sauce (if using). Serve over riced cauliflower if desired.

Dill Sauce
Ingredients

1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 – 1/2 cup cream
1/2 – 1 tsp dill
pinch of salt

Directions

Drain any excess oil from the pan in which you cooked the fish patties. (I never have any extra oil, as the croquettes do soak some up, but you might until you’ve had some practice.) Turn heat to low, and add the sour cream. Stir to loosen an leftover fish bits and make them part of the sauce.
Add cream to taste and stir again. A smaller amount of cream will give you a thicker sauce that may need to be served on the side, but it will allow the flavor of the sour cream to come through in the final product. A larger amount of cream will give a thinner sauce that can be used like gravy, but it will weaken the taste of the sour cream.
Add the dill and salt. Stir again and remove from heat.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-12, 14:40

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 297/295/153 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 1%

Yum! Can't wait to try!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-12, 17:11

Plan: south beach
Stats: 168/168/125 Female 4'11
BF:
Progress: 0%

this sure sounds delish
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-22-12, 07:07

Plan: moderate carb
Stats: 130/105/105 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I tried making the cakes. I added in half a cup of coconut flour, which helped to soak up the moisture. The result came out really good! Both my husband and I really enjoyed this. I'll be making it more regularly now. Thanks so much for the recipe!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-22-12, 07:39

Plan: <50g a day, gluten-free
Stats: 202.8/180.6/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 38%

ooooooh! Being an East Coaster I love fishcakes! I'm going to try this with salt cod (soaked overnight). Thanks!