Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-13-10, 14:39

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%
Default Yet another reason to avoid CAFO meats

URL: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/...s_n_574290.html
Quote:

STEVE KARNOWSKI | 05/12/10 05:56 PM | AP
Amazing
Inspiring
Funny
Scary
Hot
Crazy
Important
Weird
Read More: Agribusiness, Beef, Beef Trimmings, Cargill Meat Solutions, E. Coli, Factory Farming, Food Safety, Hamburger, Meat Processors, New York Times, Pulitzer Prize, Stephanie Smith, Food News

MINNEAPOLIS — A Minnesota woman who became severely ill with an E. coli infection from a tainted hamburger has reached a settlement with the meatpacking arm of agribusiness giant Cargill Inc., both sides announced Wednesday.

Stephanie Smith, 23, of Cold Spring, and Cargill said the terms of the settlement were confidential, but that it will provide for Smith's care throughout her life. The former children's dance instructor was left paralyzed, with cognitive problems and kidney damage.

Smith became ill in 2007 after eating a patty produced by Cargill Meat Solutions Corp., a Wichita, Kans.-based unit of Minnetonka-based Cargill Inc. Her E. coli infection led to kidney failure. She went into seizures and was kept in a medically induced coma for three months.

Smith's battle to recover was the centerpiece story last year in a New York Times series that won a Pulitzer Prize. The story spurred several members of Congress to demand better enforcement of food safety laws and a pledge from Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack for stepped up efforts to fight E. coli contamination. The story traced how the beef trimmings that went into her hamburger came from four plants in the U.S. and Uruguay, and that while such scraps are particularly vulnerable to contamination, many companies including Cargill did not normally test them prior to grinding.

Her Seattle-based attorney, Bill Marler, said Smith's case continues to generate public and industry discussion about the importance of better food safety.

"Stephanie's tragedy has taken on a life of it's own, and hopefully it will continue to focus people on why food safety is so important," Marler said.

Cargill acknowledged responsibility when it first learned of her injuries and has been providing financial help to her and her family, the joint statement said. Cargill said it "deeply regrets" her injuries, and that it has invested more than $1 billion in meat science research and new food safety technologies to eliminate E. coli and other sources of food-borne illnesses.

"Cargill continuously invests in food safety technology," said Mark Martin, a spokesman for Cargill Meat Solutions. "There certainly are things that have preceded the situation with Stephanie Smith, things that will continue to evolve into the future. Food safety – as you can imagine being an agriculturally based company for much of our business – is a top priority and always will be."

Neither Marler nor Martin would comment on the terms of the settlement, which still requires court approval. And Marler declined to allow Smith or her mother to comment. He said they wanted to keep her focused on rehabilitation.
Story continues below

"She's still wheelchair bound," Marler said. "She's making progress. She has been able to walk with braces and a walker. She's continuing to work very, very hard at her rehabilitation for both her cognitive issues and her physical issues."

When they filed the lawsuit in federal court in Minnesota in December, Marler said Smith's medical bills totaled more than $2 million and would likely reach the tens of millions of dollars. He also predicted then that she would need multiple kidney transplants. Marler declined Wednesday to say if he still stands by those estimates on her medical bills, but he said multiple transplants remain a risk.

"I think she's very hopeful that it won't happen; unfortunately the physicians say it is likely to happen," he said.

Smith still hopes to dance someday. Marler said it's hard to predict if she will.

"She would never want to say never," he said. "I think that's clearly her goal and you've got to admire her for that. ... She's in many respects like a professional athlete, She works every day on her physical injuries. It's a lot of hard work. We all should get that much physical exercise."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-13-10, 14:50

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

There does not appear to be any evidence cited in this article that suggests the standard meat production methods actually caused this contamination.

The facts are that modern meat production is far safer than it has ever been. It's not perfect, and there are bound to be a few tragic hiccups along the way.

Last edited by bobiam : Thu, May-13-10 at 15:13.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-14-10, 12:37

You don't get a congressional investigation or a Pulitzer Prize for uncovering a situation that's hunky dory.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-17-10, 06:34

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

It's good to have a high-profile case to spur improvements in any industry. Wish we would have had one of 'em before the implosion on Wall Street. (Well, maybe we did, if Enron exposed highjinx in the financial biz).

Anyway, with all compassion for the plight of Ms. Smith, I wonder if she might have been exceptionally susceptible to the e.coli infection. Otherwise, why don't people get sick(er) in the thousands and millions? How many fast-food burgers get eaten every day around the world?

Occasionally, I pick up a pack of ground beef at the grocery store. But not without remembering stories like this. As rarely as I eat it, I should probably commit to spending the extra bucks for more trustworthy meat.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-17-10, 11:35

bkloots,

If you have a Costco in your area, they will provide the safest ground meat. They inspect their meats pre- and post-grinding for e. coli. Beef suppliers hate when retailers do that, and only because of its huge size can Costco flout suppliers' wishes; even chains like Safeway don't apply this level of rigor to their safety inspections. Even so, there are some suppliers that have stopped selling to Costco.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-17-10, 12:38

BF:

Good tip. I'll check out the ground beef at Costco. I'm a regular patron of other meat and fish products there.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-20-10, 14:48

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Anyway, with all compassion for the plight of Ms. Smith, I wonder if she might have been exceptionally susceptible to the e.coli infection. Otherwise, why don't people get sick(er) in the thousands and millions?

I worry a lot about this, because I'm one of those people who gets sick when nobody else does. My husband says I'm the "canary in the coal mine". I have gotten desperately ill when others who ate the same food had either no problem, or felt a little tummy rumble at most.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-20-10, 14:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn
bkloots,

If you have a Costco in your area, they will provide the safest ground meat. They inspect their meats pre- and post-grinding for e. coli. Beef suppliers hate when retailers do that, and only because of its huge size can Costco flout suppliers' wishes; even chains like Safeway don't apply this level of rigor to their safety inspections. Even so, there are some suppliers that have stopped selling to Costco.

I'm very glad to hear this. I worry every time I pick up a pack of ground beef. I think we'll be joining Costco. Tx!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-20-10, 15:01

BF:

Quote:
I think we'll be joining Costco.
You wouldn't think a one-person family (that would be me) would be a Costco customer, but I'm really happy with the place. Considering that it's a humongous store, you wouldn't expect a friendly feeling; but they must treat their employees well, because I've been seeing the same smiling people working there for years, and I enjoy that.

Of course, they don't call it "The Hundred Dollar Store" for nuthin'. So many temptations--it's hard to get out of there with just the list you came in for.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-20-10, 21:52

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
You wouldn't think a one-person family (that would be me) would be a Costco customer, but I'm really happy with the place. Considering that it's a humongous store, you wouldn't expect a friendly feeling; but they must treat their employees well, because I've been seeing the same smiling people working there for years, and I enjoy that.

Of course, they don't call it "The Hundred Dollar Store" for nuthin'. So many temptations--it's hard to get out of there with just the list you came in for.
I do my Costco shopping once every 24 days. That seems to be how long the 5 dozen eggs last me.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-27-10, 08:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin
Stats: 315/304/160 Female 5 ft 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn
bkloots,

I did not know this but this is why Unions are so needed in this country again for saftey reasons alone
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-27-10, 13:26
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

LOL! Hundred dollar store, that's funny.

I've gotten pretty good at not seeing things in Costco, unless it's in the meat department.

I have also heard Costco is very good to their employees and have a very low turnover compared to other warehouse stores.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-27-10, 17:37

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Since there are very few people who eat only meat, it's reasonable to assume that she didn't eat only meat. Consequently, it's impossible to conclude that the cause of her illness was meat. Rather, what else did she eat with that meat patty? I'm putting my money on bread, ketchup, mustard, relish, french fries, Coka Cola, and some antacid tablets to cap it off.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, May-29-10, 16:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Since there are very few people who eat only meat, it's reasonable to assume that she didn't eat only meat. Consequently, it's impossible to conclude that the cause of her illness was meat. Rather, what else did she eat with that meat patty? I'm putting my money on bread, ketchup, mustard, relish, french fries, Coka Cola, and some antacid tablets to cap it off.

Really? Do you really think she got it from mustard? Or Coke?

Quote:
Cargill acknowledged responsibility

http://www.about-ecoli.com/
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-10, 18:21

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
You wouldn't think a one-person family (that would be me) would be a Costco customer, but I'm really happy with the place.
Heck, I'm a one-person Costco customer too!