Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-08, 09:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default UK people! cream cheese????

hey guys! i have decided to get on the oopsie rolls bandwagon as i can not take it any longer without bread! I cant find it anywhere! went to tescos and they had a benecol style cream cheese but not the actual cream cheese?can anyone tell me where i can find some please?or is the cream cheese the actual spreadable cheese?i have no idea im sorry!

Last edited by SkinnyMinx : Sun, Apr-27-08 at 10:11.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-08, 11:28
Registered Member

BF:

no one wants to help me : (
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-08, 11:31

Plan: dirty carnivore..yeah
Stats: 203/170/160 Female 70inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Don't panic luvvy....it's Philadelphia.
Get the full fat variety. they had 50% extra free in Tesco the other day
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-08, 11:33
Registered Member

BF:

thanks i love u! i knew it was philadelphia but didnt wana get it wrong and make my self look stupid! tescos is shut now so oopsies will have to wait til first thing in the morning!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-08, 11:34

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

I use the Tesco cream cheese (full fat version) which is very cheap. It comes in a dark blue container. You could also use the Philidelphia blocks of cream cheese but they are more expensive.

I often make flaxbread which I find a lot easier and tastier.

75g flaxmeal (ground up flaxseeds, any colour)
2 eggs,
1 tbs olive oil
2 tsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
A little sweetener.

Mix everything to a wet dough, pour into a small silicon bread pan (or well-greased metal one) and bake in a pre-heated oven for 16-18 minutes at gas 6. It's done when a toothpick comes out clean.

This has the texture of a moist flatbread or a muffin. My children bake it all the time and call it chocolate cake. It keeps well in a container in the fridge for several days. It is low carb, but not low cal, so cut it thinly, but it's great for spreading your cream cheese on.

You can make a savory version by leaving out the cocoa and sweetener and adding a little salt or spice instead.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-08, 11:42
Registered Member

BF:

thank you so much i definitely will be trying your recipe out.Im getting sick of eating my eggs with a fork so now i have a variety of bread and muffins to make tomorow!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-08, 12:04

Plan: LC w/o "counting" carbs.
Stats: 320/259/185 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I'm going to try the flax bread too! I've been eating the flax porridge...but variety would be nice!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-08, 12:34

Stats: 207/164/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyMinx
hey guys! i have decided to get on the oopsie rolls bandwagon as i can not take it any longer without bread! I cant find it anywhere! went to tescos and they had a benecol style cream cheese but not the actual cream cheese?can anyone tell me where i can find some please?or is the cream cheese the actual spreadable cheese?i have no idea im sorry!

Haha, I had the EXACT same problem! There I was in the Tesco cheese aisle not having the foggiest! I had to call my mum in the end who told me it was cheese spread so i got the tesco brand someone mentioned above.

They came out great btw!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-08, 12:42

Plan: M&E, Atkins!
Stats: 240/219.2/180 Female 5ft8in
BF:
Progress: 35%

Yup there is philly and WW and Every grocery store has their own brand!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-08, 16:05
Registered Member

BF:

hey lausie! im glad its not just me! i'm a regular in tesco's so i'l play it safe and find the cream cheese there because i don't know what the sainsburys version looks like! u guys are saying the tub is dark blue in colour? that's all i am going to look for - a tesco tub dark blue in colour!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-08, 17:06

Plan: M&E, Atkins!
Stats: 240/219.2/180 Female 5ft8in
BF:
Progress: 35%

YUp I believe when i bought it..it was roughly 78-90p
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-08, 12:57

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

Just look in the chill cabinat, near the cheese strings and stuff. There is a dark blue full fat cream cheese and a very pale blue low fat one (not recommended, it tastes gritty and nasty). If you have any Polish shops or food sections handy, check them as well. Poles really seem to like their cream cheese, and usually have a wide selection.

M&S does a cream cheese as well. And if you are very keen to bump up your fats as much as possible, check out mascapone cheese. High fat or what???
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-08, 13:24

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Don't forget that you can also use mayonaise (store bought or homemade) in place of the cream cheese in these rolls. In fact I think mayo may be the "original" version.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-08, 15:45
Registered Member

BF:

thanks so much for your help guys! I did find it and I have actually been eating the cream cheese with a spoon ever since.Right let me tell you about my oopsie experiment today.Instead of making a batter for 6 oopsies I made it for just about 2 oopsies because it was my first time and I didnt want to muck it up and waste everything.I dont have a hand mixer and damn the egg white mixing killed me!! when I placed everything in the oven it did rise but more it was more like a pancake and quite gooey inside. I gathered that my eggs whites were not stiff at all probably. BUTTT could some one tell me if 3 ounces of cream cheese is actually 18 teaspoons?I converted it through google and does that sound right because I want to follow cleochatra's exact recipe for 6 oopsies.Much appreciated!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-08, 18:18

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

3 ozs is a little under 100gms - the box of cream cheese is 200 gms, so just eyeball a half. I use the full 200 gms to make 12 oopsies at a time and it works great. I also add 35 gms whey protein to the yolk mix - makes it much more bready.
I also find them to be at their best on day 2 + - store in the fridge with a half open lid as they get a bit sticky if closed in.
Babs