Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 09:33
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 150/140/120 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:
Default hello

personally i dont think low carb diets are healthy! especially if you do a lot of physical activity.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 09:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Well, wednesday, if this is what you truly believe, it really begs the question of why you are here. You might want to consider reading a couple of LC books to explain the science behind LC before you make up your mind.

LC is very healthy and perfectly safe with a little research and planning! There are lots of us who LC and exercise and we are doing great.

Just curious....

Julie
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 10:55
Registered Member

Stats: 320/234/150 Female 5'3"
BF:too much!!
Progress: 51%

What do you base your conclusions on? Is there a reason you feel this way? That is a fairly ambiguous statement!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 10:55

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

You want to lose 30 pounds and you joined a low-carb forum to tell us you don't agree with a low carb diet? OK. Then try something else. What is your point?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 10:56
Registered Member

Stats: 320/234/150 Female 5'3"
BF:too much!!

me smells a troll!!!!!!!!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 11:05

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/208.6/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Really/effing/high
Progress: 19%

Thanks for the opinion, don't let the door hit you on the way out.....

Really, if you want to start a fight you're going to have to do better than that wimpy little statement. You must be, what, about 12 years old?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 11:37
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%

Hi Wednesday,

Well at least you checked us out. I am not sure why you would want to go to all the trouble to get a user name and password to log on just to make a statement, but that is your right and priviledge according to the forum rules, so I won't criticize you for it.

There have been "studies" done that both support or criticize low carbing.
But the fact of the matter, is that the so-called "low carb craze" of the past several years has drawn attention to the fact that a) low fat diets have not worked and the obesity epidemic, esp. in American is growing, b) proteins had not been studied enough in the past and c) fats had been given a bad rap by nutritionists and doctors who lumped all fats together and said that all fats were "bad."

If you look at a lot of the newer research and recommendations, you will see that fats are being looked at in a new light and that researchers are distinguishing between "good fats" and "bad fats." They are also looking at protein in a new light. The one thing I really like about scientific research is that it is NOT set in stone. If that were not so, we would still believe the sun rotated around the earth. People were ostracized and even burned at the stake for believing that. True scientists should always be learning and open to new ideas, theories and new research.

The medical "establishment" tried to do the same with Dr. Atkins and other advocates of a low carb earing plan, but all the while they were "crucifying" Dr. Atkins, they were also trying some of his ideas and finding that he was right about many things. What galls me is that although many of his ideas have now been accepted, they won't call it "low carb" and they won't give him the credit he deserves.

As far as exercise--yes it is important but it is not the only thing. Many of us are low carbing because we are overweight--some of us are so overweight that it is very very difficult to exercise until we lose more weight. I have foot fractures and other problems from just walking. I am also older and so cannot particpate in a lot of activities that younger people can. In addition I have known personally or heard of at least 3 people who were very physically active and were runners and were thin who died of heart attacks. So being physically active is not enough by itself to stave off cardio-vascular problems.

Carbs equal sugar. Everything must turn into sugar before it can be used by the body, but carbs almost turn instantly into sugar and therefore cause sugar spikes or uneven glucose levels in the blood which can cause a host of problems for the body. Low carbing done right prevents such stressful sugar spikes.

I don't know if you just got on this website and got right back off after you made your statement, but if you are still on I hope you read this and if not I hope others that wander onto this forum and want answers will read this and all the other good information on the Active Low Carber forums.

Last edited by fluffybear : Tue, Jun-13-06 at 11:49.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 12:07

Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I doubt we see -wednesday again, anytime soon, but I can't help wondering why she believes what she does. Is there some research (not the kind run by PCRM and PETA, but real research) that can be offered up to support this notion? It would have to be compelling to convince users of this forum, many of whom think low carb has saved our lives, or at least significantly improved them.

There is research, and a lot of it, that supports low carb as a healthy and natural way to eat. I don't need very much evidence, though, looking back on nearly 3 years of massive and consistent weightloss, heightened energy, reduction in bad cholesterol, and a wonderful boost in my quality of life.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 12:14

Plan: LC/IF and such
Stats: -/-/- Female 60 inches
BF:2 spare tires
Progress: 33%

That's nice.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 12:51
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?

Thank you for sharing.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 13:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 183/000/130 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 345%

I do not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 16:13

Plan: Atkins' OWL
Stats: 294/237.6/149 Female 5'8"
BF:oodles
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teresa35
me smells a troll!!!!!!!!!!!

Fairly reeks with that living-under-a-bridge odor, don't it?
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 16:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 182/175/135 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 15%

Wow! Do you get people like this that just pop in to make their anti low-carb statements often? I'm new here, and this just made me laugh a little. Oh well..........hopefully she takes in some of the information provided and it peaks her interest enough to seek it out more.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 17:09
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

It's generally best not to feed a troll.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 18:19
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%

The rules say that anyone can post even if they don't agree with the LC WOE.

"This War Zone forum was created to provide a place for opponents of low-carbing to debate the merits of this lifestyle and diet..."
(Quoted from the War Zone rules at the top of the page).

So I guess that is what this person was doing.