Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-04-14, 08:07

Plan: Atkins/Keto-Queen
Stats: 257/151.0/150 Female 5-8
BF:
Progress: 99%
Default Shepherds Pie

Its whats for dinner tonight

http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2013/06/28/shepherds-pie/

NGREDIENTS:

1 lb. ground beef

6 oz. homemade pork breakfast sausage (or ground pork, or use all beef if you prefer)

2 medium carrots, diced or substitute with an extra cup of green beans

1 c. zucchini squash, diced

1 c. frozen green beans

2 oz. onion, chopped

Dash salt and black pepper

1 medium (6-7″ diameter) head cauliflower

4 T. butter or ghee

4 T. cream

Paprika to garnish (optional)

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 375º. Peel and dice the carrots. Chop the zucchini into ½” dice. You can substitute diced turnips for the zucchini if you prefer. Chop the onion. Place all these veggies and the green beans into a saucepan with water to cover. Bring to a boil, lower to a slow boil for about 5-6 minutes. Cook just long enough to slightly soften them, trying not to overcook, lest their bright color be diminished in the final dish. Drain veggies in a strainer/colander while you do the next step.

Clean and chop the cauliflower into smaller pieces, place in/over water and boil/steam until completely tender. Drain well in a colander and put back into the cooking pot and puree, along with the cream and butter. You can either do this with a stick blender if you have one, or in a food processor or regular blender in small batches to avoid overflow. Season with salt to taste.

In a large no-stick pan, brown the beef and sausage, crumbling as it browns. Gently stir the drained veggies into the meat mixture and toss gently. Spoon off and discard as much excess grease/liquid that is in the pan as this can get soupy int eh final dish. Spoon the meat/veggie mixture evenly into the bottom of the casserole dish. Using a spoon or rubber spatula, evenly distribute the mashed cauliflower over the top. Sprinkle with paprika to garnish if desired. Pop into preheated 375º oven for about 35 minutes or until the top is beginning to slightly brown. Serve and enjoy!

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes eight 1-cup servings, each contains:

288 calories

22 g fat

8.18 g carbs, 3.18 g fiber, 5 g NET CARBS

16 g protein
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-04-14, 19:47

BF:

This was really good! I used 1/2 beef 1/2 spicy sausage. I cut the recipe and half and the meat got a little well done...but good and satisfying none the less
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-09-14, 12:47
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

I'm delighted you enjoyed it, Sunny!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-14, 12:53

BF:

OMG its YOU!!!!!! I LOVE YOU!!!! You and your recipes are always on my FB page!!!! I try to make a couple of your recipes a month! So nice to "see" you here!!! Seeing your response to my post totally made my day!!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-14, 07:17
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Awwww Shucks. You're gonna embarrass me, Sunny. I'm sure no celebrity. But I do pop in here from time to time and glad today's visit "made your day". The FB posting on my recipe page there and also on Jennifer Eloff's LOW CARBING AMONG FRIENDS cookbooks Facebook page really keeps me busy. So I'm not able to pop in here as often as I once did. I'm delighted you like my recipes. I want them to help people be successful at losing weight "painlessly" and without having to give up so many of their favorite foods. One really can low-carb just about any recipes but the baked goods. Those are considerably more challenging to low-carb. But I do give it my best stab. Happy continued low-carbing to you, Sunny!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-14, 20:20

Plan: my own
Stats: 326/274/175 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 34%

I am pretty sure I could eat that whole recipe at once except for the total carbs..... I love all the ingredients....well, except for zuchinni.....
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-14, 20:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa deuce
I am pretty sure I could eat that whole recipe at once except for the total carbs.....

"portion control" is a killer on this one LOL

look at the Motzerella Marinade Meatloaf....I CANT make that one again without company.