Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-12, 15:37

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkclouds
Even the mayonnaise made with Olive Oil by Best Foods lists soybean oil first before olive oil.
Yeah, it's made *with* olive oil, meaning probably 99% soybean oil and 1% olive oil. That's why I only eat mayo I make myself!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-12, 15:56
Absurdtive

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkclouds
I try to avoid soy as much as possible but it is in soooo many things! Even the mayonnaise made with Olive Oil by Best Foods lists soybean oil first before olive oil. I could give up mayo, but I love my whey protein shakes and I can't find any that don't have soy listed as an ingredient. Does anyone have a good recommendation?

Make your own mayo

How to Make Mayonnaise in 20 seconds

--Melissa
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Apr-10-12, 12:35
Registered Member

Plan: SBD
Stats: 314/230.4/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hey - I completely agree with you. My doc wrote the book on BC (literally). And he errs on the side of caution because of all the conflicts. He still advises to avoid it in any form.

All the contamination in our food supply from soy makes it almost impossible to eat out with any degree of security. It makes most premade foods a forbidden thing as well.

I end up making my own everything at home from mayo to sauces! I use coconut aminos to replace soy sauce in Chinese foods. And I'm looking into making my own hoisin and oyster sauces using coconut aminos.

It soooo sux. I don't believe that soy is safe for anyone, hormonally driven cancer or not. Especially since most of it in America is a GMO created crop.

Not sitting in judgement of anyone eating soy. It is just that so many people don't actually "know" the insidious truth behind soy.

On my blog I try to bring some truths to light about many of our food products without hitting people over the head with it. You can't change what you don't know, right? But in soy's case I don't think ignorance is bliss. I sure didn't feel that way when I discovered I had hormone positive breast cancer in a late stage. :-/
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-12, 11:46

Plan: Suzanne Somers; LC
Stats: 182.5/158/105 Female 5'
BF:Melting!
Progress: 32%

0Angel0 - I am a bit late reading this thread but am finding it fascinating. I am curious as to how you wanted to incorporate it into your plan. For myself, I am toying with the idea of using more Vegan food in my plan which relies heavily on soy and my plan allows it for vegetarians. I am not a V now but was and still like to cook that way. I am weird in the way that I actually like raw tofu and will dip it in Nutritional yeast to eat. My body seems to feel good on it and it doesn't affect my loss.
I know before LC I used to drink the entire box in one day of soy milk - and it would make me hungry after - so to me that was a red flag and I didn't continue to use it. I find it very interesting that many people here do not use it and would like to look into that information.
Thanks, everyone.
Kat
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-12, 11:49

"Make your own mayo"
I finally decided to start making my own mayo too - having fun trying the zillion recipes out there. It is delicious. Actually the store bought with sugar in it is starting to gross me out now...and I loved it before.
Kat
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 05:48

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

I was thinking about this whole soy sauce thing having read this thread.. It doesn't actually have a very strong flavour.. You could probably add a touch of marmite and some salt and get much the same effect.

I really appreciate the advice from people here on the forum. I never ate much soya, but it is in Hellman's mayo, and now I'm low-carbing, I am eating more mayo.. I've always made mayo occasionally, but reading this board led to my decision to make all my own mayo in future, from a decent omega-3 rich oil.

Quote:
I use coconut aminos to replace soy sauce in Chinese foods. And I'm looking into making my own hoisin and oyster sauces using coconut aminos.

I'm wondering how you would replace soy sauce with coconut aminos?
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 17:09

Plan: Atkins, Paleo, High Fat
Stats: 180/133.2/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 117%

Genetically modified. Never meant for human consumption. Follow the money. Big Agra. Nope. Never.
  #53   ^
Old Wed, May-02-12, 22:58

"I'm wondering how you would replace soy sauce with coconut aminos?"
Yes, I am wondering that myself.
Kat
  #54   ^
Old Thu, May-03-12, 02:42

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

I did a search on coconut aminos and there is a product called Coconut Aminos. It is made from the aged sap of the coconut palm, with added sea salt.. However, the sap is sweet, and 1tsp is 1g carb, which is a bit high for me, as I tend to throw stuff like that around too generously. It does, however, state that it is "enzymatically alive", which is interesting, as the more enzymes we can get into us, hopefully the better for our general health.

http://www.amazon.com/Coconut-Secre...ef=pd_sim_hpc_2
  #55   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 16:11

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by melibsmile
Yeah, those immersion blenders make mayo-making an absolute snap. It's so easy there's no good reason on earth to eat the cr*p that passes for commercial mayos with their nasty oils!
  #56   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 16:43

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 255/250/175 Female 65.5"
BF:Size 22/16-18/10
Progress: 6%

Quote:
Make your own mayo

--Melissa

Awesome!!! Thanks
  #57   ^
Old Fri, May-18-12, 17:34

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Make your own mayo

--Melissa

You've done it, Melissa! I've just ordered my first immersion blender!
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-12, 18:54

Plan: atkins/paleo
Stats: 223/185/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%

No. I'm allergic to soy. I break out in hives, my tongue swells and I can't breathe.
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 16:53
Absurdtive

Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
You've done it, Melissa! I've just ordered my first immersion blender!

There's no going back now WereBear! They are awesome. I use them to make mashed cauliflower, blend up soups in the pot, make hollandaise sauce, mayo, all sorts of stuff. They are super handy and a snap to clean, much easier than a traditional blender. I find that the regular blender has become a relic for us. We either need the immersion blender or the food processor for big jobs, nothing in between.

--Melissa
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-12, 19:29

Plan: HCG Diet
Stats: 215.5/191.1/155 Female 177cm
BF:Human twinkie
Progress: 40%

Soy.... yick. I've eaten tofu once, noted that it was a lot of stuffing around for something that ended up tasting like eggs, resolved to never eat it again.

I use soy sauce once every 6 months maybe. I tend to prefer plain old meat, veg, herbs & spices, butter & coconut oil.

and Kirsteen! Bravo on the marmite suggestion, I'll check if I have it in the cupboard, I need never touch soy again!

I'm continually amazed and uplifted by the wisdom you guys all provide! Thank you ; )