Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 08:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default New Thread for Specific Information

Juicyjacki / Ella

I just wanted to say this is a good title for a thread. I've started a new one (I give you full credit and appreciation as it is your idea originally) which we will keep specifically for information on UK Supermarkets and products. I can see it becoming a mine of information for current and future LCers.

Thank You.

Take care.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 13:26

BF:
Smile LIDL

Quote:
Daschnook: Hi. Can someone tell me what the soya drinks are about...how to make them and what they are, etc...what benefits if any we get from them?
Also - where do you buy Lidl products...?
Daschnook

Sorry but I moved this post out of the other thread as I'd like that to be strictly informative.

Soya drinks are High Protein Low-Carb powders. They contain lots of vitamins and minerals, are very low in carbs, easy and convenient and ever ready. The LC equivalent of SLIMFAST shakes.

LIDL is the name of a shop just like Safeways or Sainsburys. Some areas do not have them. It is a german shop. I was very lucky one opened in my area recently. The other alternative to LIDL is ALDI or NETTA. No frills just good food and household ware at reasonable prices.

Take care.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 13:32
Registered Member

Stats: 128/122/112
BF:
Progress: 38%

HI Fiona

Im glad you moved my post because almost as soon as I had posted it I realized it was inappropriate to put it there but I was curious about the Lidl products.

I live in central London and (have tube will travel) so please tell me where I can find a Lidl store to go and buy some low carb sausages.

As far as the soya stuff goes...waht is better...soya drinks or whey protein drinks?

Daschnook
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 14:01

BF:
Default LIDL

Daschnook,

Soya drinks are soya based whilst Whey Protein, I think are milk based. It's just a matter of personal preference. I prefer soya because I am lactose intolerant.

Directions for one LIDL store I sometimes go to.

Take the tube to Kilburn underground on the jubilee line. Get a bus 16, 32, 316 from right outside the station going towards Cricklewood Garage. You will see the big LIDL sign (bright yellow and blue) from the bus before you get off the bus.

Thursday morning (9am sharp) is a good day for bargains. Every Thursday they put out a few very special household goods at bargain prices. It's as bad as Oxford Street during Christmas time shopping. If you are lucky some of Thursday's bargains may be left over the rest of the week. The food prices are pretty constant most of the time.

Have fun!
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 05:50

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 143/131/121
BF:
Progress: 55%

Daschnook

I know there's a LIDL on the Old Kent Road. You can call 192 ask for their head office and find out where is the nearest one to you.

I've also seen those sausages at my local Safeway near St. Katharine's Docks. But they might be a bit more expensive there.

BTW, did you notice how prices in the same chain supermarkets vary depending on the area? I was shocked when I did my shopping in Camberley, Surrey and compared the prices to the ones I pay in Central London supermarkets. what a rip-off!
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 05:58

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 143/131/121
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default Smithfield market

About prices...

Some time ago Andy Davis suggested to buy meat in bulks from your local butcher, and freeze it. It comes cheaper than buying by portions in supermarkets.

So, I've got a question. Has anybody tried to buy meat at Smithfield market? I've heard that it's relatively cheap and much better quality. But it's open only from 5am till 2pm, not brilliant for me, but hey, if I can reduce my grocery cost, I'll do it, man!
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 16:05

BF:
Smile It does work

I haven't done it myself but a friend of mine only ever buys a whole lamb. She asks the butcher to pack it in bags of 1 lb. It is conveniently handy at all times, saves on shopping trips and economical time/energy/cash wise.

Take care.