Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#241   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-05, 13:16
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Heh, BettyLouWho. That photo was a while back anyway. But yeah, trust a professional nerd like myself (and raised in Silicon Valley, no less) to have an embryo that can type well enough to wreak havoc on the Internet while it still looks like a little hammerhead.

Thanks, Wa'il!
Sponsored Links
  #242   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-05, 13:07

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%

Well, quite a thread. I must say, I am so oblivious. I had no clue.

My current stats might say that I've not really succeeded at this. My journal currently will attest to the fact that I am not even choosing lc choices this week. Yet, I certainly hope someone wouldn't discount what I've got to say based on that. After all, I've read most lc books and am catching up on the newer ones. I've lost 50+ lbs twice and have since lost the baby weight that I gained with my third pregnancy. I have had many great moments of loss and maintaining loss as well as many great moments of struggle, gain and finding out what works and what doesn't work for me personally... only to have it change like the weather. I still learn daily.

IMO I hope my experience alone is beneficial to some. That's why I post. I don't typically go back and re-read threads where I've posted unless I have asked a question or there is an ongoing conversation. Perhaps thats why I was so clueless that this is going on? If I post that flax stalls me, I am sharing so that the poster can look at flax and say "hmmm, it stalls some, well, maybe I should consider that." I don't care who it doesn't stall. I don't know who it doesn't stall. I don't go back. And because I don't go back I don't know if someone disagrees with me.

Cold? Maybe. But honestly, it's kept me from taking anything personal and still being able to enjoy this list and share my journey.
  #243   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-05, 13:31

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%

Okay, I'll admit I skirted the furor of the thread. After some thought I did come back to share my belief...

I think sometimes overweight people (past and present) have been overlooked for so long that they are seeking approval here where they feel safe among other overweight people. That's why they post, then go back and look for approval to what they say or believe in their posts and then get mad or disappointed when they didn't get it. Maybe it's not even an overweight quality but a general self esteem quality?

Just a thought....
  #244   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-05, 16:30
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

That could very well be. There IS one thing that I've realized thanks to this thread. I have to start being more vocal about how much I admire some of the "big losers" on the board. I guess I somehow just think they KNOW. I have a bad habit of silently agreeing and admiring, and only speaking up when something strikes a nerve. Probably some sort of laziness on my part, but I can see it really has an effect on how some people perceive me.

I've also learned that tailoring your style of giving advice to the person and to your own situation (not just theirs) can help. You know, the same advice can sound quite different depending on what end of the journey both the giver and the receiver of the advice dwell on. It's not good or bad, it just IS.
  #245   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-05, 16:46
Still Wicked

Plan: none currently (WFPB now)
Stats: 235/112/120 Female 151 cm (4.11 1/2)
BF:
Progress: 107%

Quote:
I've also learned that tailoring your style of giving advice to the person and to your own situation (not just theirs) can help.

Nod Nod. I tend to talk about my own journey, what works (and doesn't work) for me, WITHOUT making it into a generalization.

So, for example, I have found that I can eat ricotta cheese for lunch, but the same amount of cottage cheese (which has more carbs) makes me feel somewhat cravey. I don't say some people find that yada yada (after all, it might really just be me), or even worse (IMO), that cottage cheese will make you cravey. That sort of thing.

On the other topic PF, if someone posts a thread celebrating what they consider to be a milestone, I will join in, especially if I see it before the thread has many responders. Personally, I don't like it when people comment on my stats when the post I've participated in is about something else entirely. That may just be me though. I really have no idea how other people feel about it.
  #246   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-05, 16:55
Fitday PC's #1 Fan

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 310/151.0/152.5 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming
On the other topic PF, if someone posts a thread celebrating what they consider to be a milestone, I will join in, especially if I see it before the thread has many responders.

I've been quite hit or miss on this lately, but see that there's always a few of the core regulars diving in and EVERY time I see that I appreciate them for doing it. I can't even remember who made my "100" day so special, but I sure remember how folks made me feel. A lot of the ranters have done so much to make a lot of peoples' milestone days special.

I do need to make a better effort to join you all in the cheerleading. It's valuable and there's no reason why I can't pick up a bit of the "work" as well.

Lynda
  #247   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-05, 17:01
Fully Caffeinated

I do see your point, Taming, and I agree. Speaking just from one's own experience is never wrong. If I've seen 20 people posting that they have cravings after a certain food, I'll post the "some people say it gives them cravings" thing, though, but I'll usually follow it by saying whether or not it bothers me.

I'll read a thread, and see that 5 people have already given advice I agree with, so most of the time I'll just move on. If I see something I disagree with or know to be false, I jump in and speak up. Obviously, this is coming off as attacking by some, so instead of copping out by saying I can't help how they take what I've said, I'm really going to make an effort to be more tactful when I disagree and more vocal when I agree.
  #248   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-05, 17:06
Fully Caffeinated

Lynda-- can you hold pom-poms with those hooves?
  #249   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-05, 09:03
Fitday PC's #1 Fan

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 310/151.0/152.5 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 101%

Sure can!
  #250   ^
Old Mon, Sep-05-05, 09:50
Fully Caffeinated

I'm suitably impressed.
  #251   ^
Old Sun, Sep-18-05, 04:08

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Vicki:

Totally off topic, but I just have to say this. Your stats are just amazing!! I'm so impressed with your great progress - way to go!!!!!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist

Seriously, tho....

When it comes to giving a person's opinion weight, I usually do like somebody else said and take a peek at how many posts the person has made (gives an idea on how long they've been around the forum gathering knowledge) as well as my general perception of that person thru their previous posts and if I find what they have to say to be solid based on what I've learned here. IF that makes any sense at all!

Also, somebody mentioned getting flack about their goal weight?? My ultimate goal weight is NOT the one in my stats above. That is for my next "mini goal" and I find it helpful to me (emotionally and psychologically) to not put my ultimate goal anywhere. It's overwhelming to me to think that I have that far to go and I end up either getting panicky or depressed about it and both lead me off plan so I don't have it on here.

That said, for the record my goal is 135 and I'm 5'4" tall and 33 years old, mother of 3 awesome sons. I don't profess to be an expert on LCing or to have done it perfectly or consistently but I've been around here for close to 3 years now (wow -- 3 years!?!??) and I've lost, gained, lost, gained a gazillion times and read a lot of stuff on here so I do think I have something to offer occasionally

Last edited by nikkil : Sun, Sep-18-05 at 05:29.