Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-08, 20:17

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
If you have any respect for the Weston A. Price Foundation, this will be of major interest, regarding high levels of vitamin A through food sources:

http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnu...taminasaga.html

Thanks for the link.

I have a healthy respect for any research, whether it be by Weston, the ADA, or even the infamous PCRM. I try to be aware of potential conflicts of interest, but will also make every effort to judge assertions based on their own respective merits.

Even if I disagree with an organizations views in one area, it doesn't necessarily mean I will find the research they do in another area without value. Even with the PCRM's infamous hidden agenda, I've found some of their work actually worthwhile to peruse.

I'm sure the same will be the case for Westonprice.

Kind regards,

Frederick
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-08, 08:24

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Thanks for all the links, by the way, Black57. I read a few articles on there about Vitamin A and D.

Unfortunately, my eyes were starting to glaze over when I got to Chris Masterjohn's "Vitamin A on Trial" article - and his writing is a bit over my head anyway.

http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnu....html#lowdosteo

Can anyone tell me more about Vitamin A and D interactions? I've heard people say that Vitamin A inhibits D absorption, but he doesn't seem to address that directly. He does say that it's important to maintain a good ratio of A to D, which might not happen if you're just taking Vitamin A supplements, or if you live in a far northern climate and eat a lot of fish. But as I said, my eyes were glazing over and maybe I missed something.

The site also seems to imply that all the arctic explorers who got sick from eating polar bear liver recovered fully when they stopped eating it. I thought a vegan friend told me they died. Does anyone know?
  #78   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-08, 09:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh
Look, I don't condemn the Weston Price foundation, but it doesn't tell the whole story of health and diet among hunters and gatherers which is as varied as their environments. We will never be able to recreate it either because we don't eat 200 different plants and 100 different animals.

Their dietary model is post-agricultural because it includes grains and dairy. Fallon, I think it was, launched a diatribe against Loren Cordain, the author of The Paleo Diet because he says Paleo man didn't eat grains.

http://www.westonaprice.org/bookreviews/paleodiet.html

There are things in Cordain's book I disagree with too but that review sounds like someone protecting an income stream.
  #79   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-08, 09:41
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

Yeah, I read that review. This is funny:

Quote:
If this sounds absurd, it's because absurd things happen when a professor of exercise tries to write a diet book that captures the current interest in the so-called caveman diet and adheres to political correctness at the same time.

I guess it makes more sense that a dilettante dentist tried to to do the same?
  #80   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-08, 10:14

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:

Capmikee, here is another thread regarding the vitamin D experiement. It has been going on for over a year. You might find some answers to your questions here. Maybe someone there knows.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...08&page=1&pp=10
  #81   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-08, 10:38

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
Capmikee, here is another thread regarding the vitamin D experiement. It has been going on for over a year. You might find some answers to your questions here. Maybe someone there knows.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...08&page=1&pp=10

Yeah, I keep seeing that but there's so much to read that I skipped over it. Maybe sometime...