Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-05, 13:40

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 130/130/120
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Newest labs

I just KNOW that my endo will want to up my Tapazole dosage.

TSH:
.01(.3-3.3)
FT4 1.7(.7-2.0)
TT3 155(80-220)

I really could just cry.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-05, 13:48

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Your labs look fine to me. Do you think he'd want to up them because your TSH is suppressed? I wish he'd tested your FT3. Your total isn't very high; I bet your FT3 isn't either. Frankly those numbers don't need to be made more hypot... I'd fight for it, Christine. I'd get a new doctor too

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-05, 15:21

BF:

Nat, I quit smoking in October and quit taking my meds too. Thought I'd use my "disease" to my advantage. I restarted in Dec, or early January. I forget. My dose was/is 5 mgs per week.
That TSH was the level that my hyperT was first caught at, while my FT4 was higher(2.0).
That TT3 was ordered by my new primary. My endo's NP and I spoke on the phone and she agreed to order some hormone testing and FT4 and a TSI. Well the slip lacked the TSI and the FT4. ROLLEYES
I called her today, but missed the return call. She left a message saying that I can check off whatever I wanted on the lab slip. I don't even know where to write these things. unbelieveable.

SOOOOOO, do I tell the endo that i stoped the meds? That may explain some of the lag.
My real question is with a TSH THAT low, WHY have I not been able to lose a pound? What could possibly prevent weightloss? I don't get it??????????????????

I will report back when I get the full panel of tests. Including a TSI!!! Dammit!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-05, 15:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Christine, I have forgotten now, you have Graves?

TSH means diddly sometimes. Its really the amount of FT3 you have that controls your metabolism. Sometimes yuo can have lots of T3 and T4 but for whatever reason it isn't getting converted into FT3. But mosts doctors are only going by TSH and they're not solving thyroid issues for people very well.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-05, 17:08

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Look at your lab slip. There will be boxes to check, right? Sometimes they will say 'Free T4" and Free T3 - nice and easy. Other names are thyroxine, free and tri-iodothyronine, free. Sometimes the Free T3 test is not listed and then you have to write it in and make sure the lab tech records it. Just write 'T3, Free" on the slip.

Can't help you on tsi, tho, but I bet someone else can.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-05, 07:28

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineO
Nat, I quit smoking in October and quit taking my meds too.

Ouch, Christine - stopping smoking can bring on hypot, you know. There's a connection between them. Smoking often masks the symptoms of hypot, quitting brings them to the forefront. You quit smoking and you quit your meds... Well at least you quit the antithyroids, that would have make things even worse!

Quote:
She left a message saying that I can check off whatever I wanted on the lab slip. I don't even know where to write these things. unbelieveable.

OK, good - write in FT3 as "T3, Free", FT4, "T4, Free" and "TSI Antibodies"

Quote:
SOOOOOO, do I tell the endo that i stoped the meds? That may explain some of the lag.

Stopping the meds is probably what stopped you from being even more hypo at this point. I would definitely tell her you stopped - is it possible you've gone hypo? You need those FTs to know for sure.

Quote:
My real question is with a TSH THAT low, WHY have I not been able to lose a pound? What could possibly prevent weightloss? I don't get it??????????????????

TSH is meaningless. TSH is meaningless. TSH is meaningless. TSH is meaningless.

Get the idea? TSH matters NOT. You need to know your FT levels. Free T levels are the levels of thyroid hormones in your body that are available for you cells to use. TSH is meaningless!

Good luck with those test!
Nat
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-05, 12:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrushka
Ouch, Christine - stopping smoking can bring on hypot, you know. There's a connection between them. Smoking often masks the symptoms of hypot, quitting brings them to the forefront. You quit smoking and you quit your meds... Well at least you quit the antithyroids, that would have make things even worse!

OK, good - write in FT3 as "T3, Free", FT4, "T4, Free" and "TSI Antibodies"

Stopping the meds is probably what stopped you from being even more hypo at this point. I would definitely tell her you stopped - is it possible you've gone hypo? You need those FTs to know for sure.

Get the idea? TSH matters NOT. You need to know your FT levels. Free T levels are the levels of thyroid hormones in your body that are available for you cells to use. TSH is meaningless!

Good luck with those test!
Nat

OK, you said that stopping the meds may have prevented me from being more hypO. What test is showing HYPO? The lower TT3?
I will get that FT3 as soon as possible. PROMISE! And, yes, I get that TSH means nothing!
I am holding ground about not taking my meds. I seemed to gain weight???
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-05, 12:45
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Its hard to tell from your labs. Your TSH would indicate hyperT, but your other numbers don't. The FT3 would clear the mystery up quickly though.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-05, 13:01

BF:

Thanks so much for your help. You guys are so informative and kind.