Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 12:03
Fat and Middle Aged!

Plan: LC
Stats: 000/000/160 Female 6'0''
BF:LOTS AND LOTS
Progress: 0%
Default Time Frame

Hello there everyone... I have a question, that I am sure is addressed in the Atkins book that I am reading, but I would like some feed back from real people doing the low carb thing. What is the time frame for losing weight... I am not asking this because i want all 38 lbs gone in a a month... but in setting up an account on Fitday (thank you Carolyn) it asked for my goal date... and I wanted to know what is a reasonable time frame...six months... 4 months..... Thanks for you input...
Carrie Ann
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 12:10

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Carrie Ann, this is a YMMV issue (your milage may vary). Everyone loses differently. A safe rate of fat loss for women is 2 lbs a week; 3 lbs for men. At first you'll lose more, it will be mainly water with a few fat lbs mixed in; it will then settle down to something closer to 1 or 2 lbs a week.

There was a past discussion on this Here if you're interested.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 12:13
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

No one can predict this, but I would give myself - speaking from experience - at least 18 months. The last remaining pounds can be slow going and because LC is a learining process, there are many "oh nos!" along the way. In other words, your old way of eating has a habit of interfering every now and again.

If it happens sooner, then you'll be thrilled!

You also - pound wise - don't have a lot of weight to lose although it may personally feel like a mountain. The most dramatic initial results are seen in people with lots of fat to vanquish. Percentage wise, it can work out to be the same.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 12:24
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%

my 2¢

hi Carrrie Ann,

I set the goal for short term losses instead of the whole shebang at once. This can be helpful for you over the long term, since you may be like many of us and go through periods of slower loss. Break up your goal into 5 lb increments ... set a tentative time frame of 3 or 4 weeks. If you meet that goal, great ... set a time frame for the next 5 lbs. If your loss is a bit slower, that's fine .. everyone is different. Set the next goal for a 5 lbs loss in 5 or 6 weeks instead. Note that it's NORMAL to lose the first 5 or 10 lbs relatively quickly, then you will slow down for the remainder.

This will be helpful too, because it averages out your loss over a period of weeks, including the normal day to day fluctuations up and down.

And don't forget to take your measurements with the tape as well. There will be times where the scales show no loss of lbs, but you'll be losing inches for sure. Don't just measure bust/waist/hip ... measure your upper arms, thighs, calf, abdomen, ribcage under the bust, etc, etc.

Good luck!

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 12:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/230/150
BF:
Progress:
Default Wow!

Wow, you want to lose 38 lbs in a month? I did a bit more than that once right before I was diagnosed with "runaway" diabetes. I ate huge meals constantly and the weight came flying off. I wouldn't recommend that, the physical side effects were truly terrifying.

I have been using Atkins since December 27, so it's been a week. I have lost nothing! But I haven't gained anything either. I am guessing that the claims of huge weight loss in short periods of time should have those disclaimers "results not typical." I would guess that a few pounds a week is what you should honestly expect But that's not bad as it's not hard to follow a diet with which you never have to be hungry!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 13:00
Fat and Middle Aged!

Plan: LC
Stats: 000/000/160 Female 6'0''
BF:LOTS AND LOTS
Progress: 0%
Default Thank You

Thank you all for such helpful hints!!!! especially the tape measure one... although the thought of doing that makes me want to cringe!!!! I am in no real big hurry... I know the slower it comes off (reasonably speaking) the longer it will stay off.... I had originally set my goal for Easter, which is March 31st this year... that would mean an average of 3.6 something pounds a week... which is not likely... I think I will go back and re-vamp that goal!

I LOVE the idea of working in 5 LBS increments.... Actually I have noticed that when I have lost weight before, I can tell in my body composition and the way clothes fit more than I can by numbers on the scale... ESPECIALLY if I add the exercise factor!!!! once again... Thank you all for you WONDERFUL feedback!!!!!!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 14:17
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
What is the time frame for losing weight... I am not asking this because i want all 38 lbs gone in a a month...

Carrie Ann seems very sensible, Tom. She does not want to lose 38 pounds in a month!

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 18:46

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Quote:
Originally posted by Natrushka
. A safe rate of fat loss for women is 2 lbs a week
Nat

Nat, I must be the safest broad on the board. My AVERAGE worked out to be .5 pounds a week.

Carrie Ann - my weight loss happened like grapes, --- in bunches. I would lose 6 pounds then plateau, then another 4 and plateau - drove me nuts. Hope yours is steady and regular.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 20:05

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Yep, the key word being 'safe' - anything more is usually muscle or water - 2 lbs is the upper limit for women.

Nat