Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-17-16, 17:03

Plan: LCHF <20g
Stats: 206/182/170 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Elevated Liver Enzymes

I'm so frustrated with elevated liver enzymes. It began in Oct. 2014 when after being on a low carb diet for 4 or so months, I had blood work and 5 of them were elevated, some up to 5 times.

This prompted a slew of tests like many more blood tests, testing for hepatitis, an ultrasound and a CT scan. All were fine. No sign at all of fatty liver etc.

I got referred to a Gastroenterologist in Canada (was in US for the winter) and when I finally got to see him in July 2015, he tested me for any of the normal auto-immune diseases and conditions that affect the liver. All were negative and weirdly enough all my liver enzymes were normal for the first time in 1.5 years, murphy's law. Weirdly, they normalized while eating a crappy diet.

They were still normal in Jan. 2016 but just recently they are now 7x up:
ALT is 285 (s/b 8-41)
AST is 145 (s/b 0-35)
ALP is 177 (s/b 44-135)

The only common denominator is that again I'm on a low carb diet. The docs say this wouldn't cause it but it's getting rather suspicious to me.

I honestly do NOT want a liver biopsy as one of my docs told me how hideously awful they are and another told me they are often inconclusive. My current doc thinks there might be a weird virus that is attacking my liver and it comes and goes but finding it is a shot in the dark. Just got tested for Epstein-Barr but only showed that I had it in the past.

Anyone else had anything like this? Any ideas?

P.S. Edited to add that the low carb diet preceding the first spike in enzymes was more of a low fat diet (Ideal Protein) and this one is of course high fat. In both instances I'd had non to VERY little alcohol (wine) for months prior and have never been a big drinker.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by 1DogDay : Tue, May-17-16 at 17:16.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-18-16, 05:21

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Sure you have gone through all the reasons, other medications, inc. OTC NSAIDs?, all three hepatitis, etc? How about Lyme disease? Bacterial not viral, but some estimate 40% with it will get elevated liver enzymes/hepatitis.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/...on/SYM-20050830

With any unexpected results, I tend to blame a weird virus. (I lost hearing in one ear due to a virus) Some do "come and go", like shingles and herpes...and Epstein-Barr. Have you had periods of fatigue?

Unlikely anything to do with your current diet. Your doctor is probably on the right track
Quote:
My current doc thinks there might be a weird virus that is attacking my liver and it comes and goes but finding it is a shot in the dark. Just got tested for Epstein-Barr but only showed that I had it in the past.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, May-18-16 at 08:01.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-18-16, 08:51

BF:

Thanks Janet, I have been tested for all types of hepatitis and even autoimmune hepatitis.

The only Rx I take is levothyroxine (I took compounded thyroid the last time so it's probably not that), a very low dose of bio-identical hormones, and probiotics. This time I was taking some curcumin, magnesium, potassium etc. but wasn't last time). I take ibuprophen sometimes but not in large amounts and have really tried not too since this liver thing started.

It is SO frustrating. I have every symptom of hemochromatosis, it's like they were writing about me when they wrote the symptoms, but I tested negative (my iron levels were fine).

I was tested for Lyme disease and Epstein-Barr! I am going to be tested for Cytomegalovirus.

Argh!!!

Last edited by 1DogDay : Wed, May-18-16 at 09:01.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-18-16, 09:42

BF:

P.S. I was taking undecenoic acid to try to see if it would help my sinuses under the assumption that the infection there was fungal (as antibiotics didn't do too much for it). That supplement could cause a die off of candida etc. but I was not taking this when my liver enzymes went out the first time.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-18-16, 10:09

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

still think virus, but somewhere I read that a standard blood test for iron can miss something? Might have been the MRI suggested instead? all fuzzy, but there is more than one test.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...is/dxc-20167322
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-18-16, 12:11

BF:

I think virus too but might have the iron test redone due to the symptom list matching mine exactly. I'm paying (Canadian in US) but the panel is only $20 at our local lab.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-18-16, 18:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

I'm baffled, too, 1Dog. But I'm with Janet--so many ways that viruses can attack us without it making sense.

I had a viral infection in my thyroid, 12 years ago, and ended up hypothyroid, as a result. All the symptoms of hyPERthyroid, but the radioactive iodine uptake test showed NONE of the iodine being absorbed.

The biggest challenge that I see is that the liver processes so many things, that it's like searching for a needle in a haystack, if it's NOT one of the usual suspects.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-19-16, 00:39

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290

Do you have a gallbladder?

When I went into the hospital to get my gallbladder removed, they actually kicked me out for a couple of days because they said my liver enzymes were 10x higher than normal. Then they decided it was OK to operate because the infected gallbladder was causing the problems.

Just another possibility.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-19-16, 07:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmeyster
Do you have a gallbladder?

When I went into the hospital to get my gallbladder removed, they actually kicked me out for a couple of days because they said my liver enzymes were 10x higher than normal. Then they decided it was OK to operate because the infected gallbladder was causing the problems.

Just another possibility.

Yes I do but wouldn't that show up as off on a CT scan?
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-19-16, 07:47

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hi 1DD, I'm not sure if this will be helpful but I'm posting it to give some hope, not a diagnosis.

I had very high enzymes 2 years ago, both higher than yours but my ALT was lower than your current reading. Mine was 85 U/L. My troubles were not diet based but due to chronic abuse of a certain chemical. I'll leave it at that. Once that was addressed things started sliding back to almost normal and with the addition of low carb, high fat started Oct. 2015, the normalization has continued.

So, in my case, I don't think LCHF and IF are detrimental to my liver function. If anything I think it might be beneficial. I do hope you can find the cause that is making your liver complain! Be calm, patient and aware. Things change.

#11   ^
Old Thu, May-19-16, 07:53

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DogDay
Yes I do but wouldn't that show up as off on a CT scan?

it may but sometimes people "see" what they are looking for, not what's actually there. They check my gallbladder with UltraSound.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-19-16, 08:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Agree with Thud. FIL had a subdural hematoma, years ago, from a fall on the flats while skiing.

The radiologist missed it on the CAT scan; it wasn't in one spot, but spread out over the top of his head.

The neurosurgeon saw it right away. But, of course, they didn't call in a neurosurgeon till his horrible headaches were causing him to constantly vomit from the pain.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-19-16, 11:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
it may but sometimes people "see" what they are looking for, not what's actually there. They check my gallbladder with UltraSound.

I had that too and mine was normal.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-19-16, 14:27

BF:

Thanks Thud, I am very aware that they can move around and come down. I just finally had 6 months of them being normal (July 2015 through January 2016) after maybe a year of 4 or 5 of the enzymes being as high as 5x up.

I just find it so funny that when I was eating worse and perhaps having more wine (I do love wine) they were normal and when I'm being really careful they're up, ugh! I guess it's just coincidence.

I do think it's a virus and don't want a biopsy :-(. I've heard even they can be inconclusive.

One of the articles I read said that to heal your liver to eat lots of fresh fruit and juices. (can't do that!!!)

Maybe I'm having a pity party over here but I'm feeling like my lifestyle is getting more and more isolating to the point where I live alone, work from home, and now am at the point where I just want to stay home alone - I just don't feel up for going out with friends for meals etc. and watching them have wine .

Last edited by 1DogDay : Thu, May-19-16 at 14:36.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-19-16, 14:31

BF:

That sounds awful! Wonder if I should get someone else to look at my CT scan...don't know how I would do that. It's not over a year old too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Agree with Thud. FIL had a subdural hematoma, years ago, from a fall on the flats while skiing.

The radiologist missed it on the CAT scan; it wasn't in one spot, but spread out over the top of his head.

The neurosurgeon saw it right away. But, of course, they didn't call in a neurosurgeon till his horrible headaches were causing him to constantly vomit from the pain.