Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-16, 20:26
Registered Member

Plan: Primal starting 2014
Stats: 269.7/233.1/175 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Health Professionals?

My father in law has type 2. He manages with diet and metormin and has told me some outragious advice his "diabetic" team has given him. All along I though he was just bs'ing me so he could continue to eat poorly.

He is not suposed to have cream in his coffee or use butter but Tim Hortons and Arby's ( the closest places to his house) are acceptable as long as it is only 3 or 4 times a week.WTH?

I went with him to an appointment and was discusted by the advice he was given. I asked the nurse how continuing to eat the foods that caused his diabetes would some how cure it. She said there was no cure for type 2 and all you could do was manage it. Type 2 is a result of family genes and bad luck.

My inlaws were here over Christmas and eating tons of butter, cream, bacon and fat has lowered his BS levels. I guess that must just be a fluke.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-16, 22:37
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

It's criminal, isn't it?

If he knows his sugars improved with higher fat/lower carb eating, would he be open to learning the reasons why? Lots of info on the web, lots of books, too. But unfortunately, he has to be the one to seek it out. You can lead a horse to water...

Good luck. My mom probably would have benefited from not listening to that same garbage and she died at 65.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-16, 09:18

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

This is an oft-repeated experience. Not sure whether Jason Fung's website and videos would help in this case, but he's had success with so many who have eliminated the burden of type 2: https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/

While his program emphasizes IF, he strongly advocates LCHF eating. He simply found it easier to communicate the concept of IF rather than try to explain a LCHF way of eating to his patients. The IF may turn off some, so it's simply one alternative.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-16, 10:20

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Would he be willing to give 18 minutes to learn why ignoring the guidelines he has been given could REVERSE his diabetes?

Almost half a million people have...only since May!

As much as I like Dr Fung, and his Two Biggest Lies about Diabetes talk, Dr Hallberg's approach and simple explanations are a "short and sweet" introduction to the idea.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=467426

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Jan-04-16 at 12:18.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-04-16, 14:11

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

A friend's father got patted on the back by his doctor for his stellar BS control, and then the nutritionist did too, adding, "But you need to get those carb numbers up."

He happily informed her that keeping the carb numbers low is how he is doing so well. End Of Story.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-16, 13:17

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

[QUOTE=
He happily informed her that keeping the carb numbers low is how he is doing so well. End Of Story.[/QUOTE]

I don't want that to be the end of the story. I want to know if the nutritionist was put off or embarrassed or angry or anything.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-16, 16:08

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeAnn
I don't want that to be the end of the story. I want to know if the nutritionist was put off or embarrassed or angry or anything.

I want the nutritionist to lose their license if RD.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-16, 04:25

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dr Mark Hyman is promoting his new book, Eat Fat, Get Thin with a Fat Seminar. This in his preview of the book:

Quote:
Joslin Diabetes Center at Harvard, one of the top diabetes centers in the world, was named after Dr. Elliott P. Joslin. In the 1920s he recommended a diet of 75 percent fat, 20 percent protein, and 5 percent car- bohydrates to treat diabetes. After fat became demonized in the 1950s and 1960s, a low-fat, high-carb diet (55 percent to 60 percent carbs) was recommended by the scientists and doctors of the day.

For decades, the American Diabetes Association (ADA) promoted this diet as the diabetes epidemic worsened year after year. Now researchers at Joslin Diabetes Center are once again recommending diets of up to 70 percent fat for the treatment of type 2 diabetes.

As one example of how effective a high-fat diet can be, the head of the ADA in the Los Angeles region, Allison Hickey, had type 2 diabe- tes for 11 years. She followed the ADA advice, exercised, and was on injections and pills. Yet her diabetes was poorly controlled. After going on the diet I recommended of over 50 percent fat and slashing her car- bohydrate intake, she got off her injections and most medications, and her blood sugar returned to normal. Her digestive problems and brain fog also disappeared.

Unfortunately, not everyone is getting the message about the importance of fat, and we still have a ways to go. The ADA is still pushing old and dangerous advice. It now recommends avoiding refined carbs but still pushes the low-fat message, even though studies have found that those who eat fatty nuts have a lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes,9 and those who add a liter of olive oil a week and consume nuts on a daily basis have a signi cantly lower risk of heart attacks and death.10

The health professionals are beholden to ADA corporate sponsors so even if they benefit from LC themselves, the official advice will be slow to change.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-16, 08:43

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeAnn

She did huffy and somewhat sarcastic! Fortunately, my friend's dad is so pleased about how good he feels on this regimen he shrugged it off, but those vulnerable to bullies would not do as well.