Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-12, 11:19
Registered Member

Plan: Low-carb/Low-calorie
Stats: 315/158/160 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 101%
Default Just diagnosed with "high thyroid disease"??

So I had a blood test last week that came back yesterday with the results of "high thyroid disease."

Can anyone enlighten me as to what this means? The world of thyroid language is so muddled up I can't seem to find a straight answer on anything.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-12, 11:31
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

What exactly did the doctor call it? Graves disease? Hashimoto's? What are your symptoms? What is your TSH? What blood tests were done and what were the results?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-12, 13:02
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
What exactly did the doctor call it? Graves disease? Hashimoto's? What are your symptoms? What is your TSH? What blood tests were done and what were the results?

I have no idea yet. My actual appointment isn't until Monday but they called to tell me that my T1 and T3 indicated "high thyroid disease." I'm trying to get a call back for clarification.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-12, 13:22
Experimenter

BF:

T1? That isn't right. T4? Get your test results and post 'em.

With Hashimoto's the thyroid can put out too much thyroid hormone at times, but most people associate it with low thyroid. It can wibble-wobble about.

Grave's disease is one where your body puts out excessive hormone. I had this one. Don't rush into radioactive iodine with Grave's. Take thyroid suppressing drugs instead and see if the Grave's goes into remission. Unless you have eye involvement, then I'm not sure what to advise.

Anyway, that should give you a couple things to Google and read up on.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-12, 15:02
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
T1? That isn't right. T4? Get your test results and post 'em.

With Hashimoto's the thyroid can put out too much thyroid hormone at times, but most people associate it with low thyroid. It can wibble-wobble about.

Grave's disease is one where your body puts out excessive hormone. I had this one. Don't rush into radioactive iodine with Grave's. Take thyroid suppressing drugs instead and see if the Grave's goes into remission. Unless you have eye involvement, then I'm not sure what to advise.

Anyway, that should give you a couple things to Google and read up on.

I went into the school psychiatrist to be diagnosed and treated for depression and anxiety, and she sent me to the school clinic with a script for a test of my T1 and T3. They called me today and said that it was "high." That's really all I know. Probably all I will ever know since my insurance won't cover the cost of going to an endocrinologist and I'm broker than broke.

I mean, is it possible to be hyperthyorid and be constantly fat?? My mom has thyroiditis, if that helps...
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-12, 09:16

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujaya
I went into the school psychiatrist to be diagnosed and treated for depression and anxiety, and she sent me to the school clinic with a script for a test of my T1 and T3. They called me today and said that it was "high." That's really all I know.
You really *have* to find out exactly what was tested, exactly what the results were (the actual numbers) as well as the lab ranges for the testing lab. None of us will really have much of a clue until you get that information. For example, "testing of T1" doesn't even make any sense. That's not something that would be tested. TSH is usually the classic first test. And then possibly T4 and T3. Testing for thyroid antibodies is crucial for Hashimoto's diagnosis but I suspect that was not tested in your case.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-12, 09:37
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujaya
I mean, is it possible to be hyperthyorid and be constantly fat?? My mom has thyroiditis, if that helps...

You need to ask them questions, get the lab results and so on. No one tests T1 that I've ever heard of.

Yes, it is possible to be hyperthyroid and fat. I was when I had Graves disease. It can make you very, very hungry and I ate a lot of crap.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-12, 10:42

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

You shouldn't have to see an endocrinologist to get the details of your test results. You're entitled to that info. If they won't give you a copy without charge, just write down the info.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-12, 12:56
Registered Member

BF:

I went in and got my test results today. I thought they tested T1 but it was T3 (triiodothyronine) and T4 (thyroxine).

My T4 was 14.3 with a reference interval of 4.5-12.0
My T3 was 191 with a reference interval of 71-180

Apparently my school insurance will cover the cost of an endocrinologist, so I have to make an appointment. There is a note on the lab report that says "hyperthyroidism: further evaluation needed."

My concern is that they'll give me a medication that will make me gain weight, which is obviously the opposite reason of why I'm here.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-12, 18:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/215/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

It's definitely possible to gain weight when you are hyperthyroid, but it isn't typical.. usually you lose. Because of that I was misdiagnosed for almost 3 months, and sick as a dog. I was also sent to a psychiatrist because I started to cry in the doctor's office.. I was so sick.. Fortunately the psychiatrist saw from my skin that my liver was getting damaged and he found the Graves disease.
Hyperthyroidism is very dangerous for the liver, so don't neglect treatment because of fear of gaining weight. One thing at a time.

The one thing that I can assure you of, is if you do gain weight from any medication or treatment they give you, Atkins is the way to go. I spent years trying different diets that failed me and made me sicker and fatter.

Thyroid patients need low carb diets. It really is the only diet that works.

I'm so sorry that you have this. But you will start feeling better once your thyroid is regulated. The depression and anxiety will disappear, and your memory will improve too.

good luck
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-12, 19:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/215/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Sujaya.. I just noticed that you are on a low carb/low Calorie diet.
Doesn't that negate Atkins? It's almost like you are doing two diets at the same time, and I don't think that's necessary.

But one of the wonderful things about Atkins that you can relax and eat what you need to eat without counting calories.. as long as you DO count carbs... meaning eating very low carb food.
Just thinking that that may contribute to your anxiety and depression.. stress, over and above the hyperthyroid issue.

Last edited by AnneAlice : Mon, Oct-08-12 at 07:16.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-12, 22:37
Experimenter

BF:

I had Graves disease (hyperthyroid) too. I didn't lose weight even though I was hyper, not hypo. I had my thyroid destroyed with radiation to treat it. Not what I'd recommend. Often Graves disease can go into remission, especially if you stay gluten free. So take the thyroid suppressing drugs and try to wait it out.

Being hyperthyroid is VERY stressful. Your body is highly revved, your nervous system is wound up, probably too much cortisol. You'll be a much happier, more relaxed person if you get it taken care of.

Good luck!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-12, 04:10

Plan: personalized
Stats: 187/163/154 Male 174
BF:
Progress: 73%

There is a natural and not expensive way to try to control hyperthyroidism and the high stress that causes. This way is using fluorine (not suplement of fluorine), but food high in this element. If you want to know the reasons properly and what are those foods, flollow the next link. The link will leads you to a page where is explained the relationship between fluorine and thyroid in hypothyroidism cases. Just do the opposite.

http://eating-paleo.blogspot.com.es/

For example, in hyperthyroidism case, you can look for mineral water whith high concentrations in fluoride, or you can use fluorinated salt, and things like those.