Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-11, 13:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/195.6/172 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default Magically disappearing hypothyroidism?

Hey everyone, haven't been posting much because I'm studying for a huge prof. exam, but I just got bloodwork back and am totally confused.

I used to see Dr. Lemmerman and was on 105 Armour and 10 mg C-Liothyronine back in the day. I also had whatever the name of that not being able to transform T3 to T4 or vice versa (I swear I used to be up on all this but my brain is broken thx to all the studying!) I was also diagnosed with Hashi's and had some nodules on my thyroid.

I moved from the area around when the natural thyroid disappeared from the market, and after trying an equivalent dose of synthroid to no effect, I wound up off thyroid completely because I haven't found a dr. yet in LA who seems knowledgeable about anything besides diabetes (my A1C is great).

So I went back to a non-local Endo I've seen before and thought was OK - he wasn't super jazzed about the natural thyroid but he continued to prescribe it and didn't give me a hard time. Did the bloodwork he wanted me to do, and now he says I'm not hypothyroid and don't need to be treated at all. I know he didn't run a sufficient panel to really judge my thyroid and I'm still having all the symptoms.

Y'all are the most knowledgeable group I know of on these things - can you guys tell me what other tests I need run so that as I try to find a new local Dr. I can find out if they'll do them? At this point, I'm considering going to visit friends in DC just so I can go back to Dr. Lemmerman...

Here's what he ran and my results:
TSH, 3D Generation 2.95 (ref range .40-4.50)
T4, Free 1.1 (rr .8 - 1.8)
T3, Total 98 (rr 76-181)

Thanks so much!

Last edited by chell02 : Mon, Feb-14-11 at 13:20.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-11, 14:16

Plan: hcg
Stats: 192/142/138 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by chell02
So I went back to a non-local Endo I've seen before and thought was OK - he wasn't super jazzed about the natural thyroid but he continued to prescribe it and didn't give me a hard time. Did the bloodwork he wanted me to do, and now he says I'm not hypothyroid and don't need to be treated at all. I know he didn't run a sufficient panel to really judge my thyroid and I'm still having all the symptoms.

Y'all are the most knowledgeable group I know of on these things - can you guys tell me what other tests I need run so that as I try to find a new local Dr. I can find out if they'll do them? At this point, I'm considering going to visit friends in DC just so I can go back to Dr. Lemmerman...

Here's what he ran and my results:
TSH, 3D Generation 2.95 (ref range .40-4.50)
T4, Free 1.1 (rr .8 - 1.8)
T3, Total 98 (rr 76-181)

Thanks so much!

you definitely need a new doctor...yoru hypothyroidism did not disappear at all. btw, the term you were looking for is Reverse T3 (I totally understand the study brain syndrome! been there done that)

Tests needed:
FT4,
FT3
TSH (if they insist)
RT3 (must be done on same blood draw as FT3)
ferritin
Vit D

btw, if your total T3 is that low I'd bet dollars to donuts your FT3 is below range, it should test out at 3/4 of the range or higher (the FT3 that is) and most people feel best with their TSH around 1

if you go to healthcheck usa they have most of the tests for a reasonable price if you can afford to pay for them yourself.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-11, 16:28
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

That TSH is at the high end of the new range, which means you're probably still hypothyroid even by the yucky standards doctors mean.

Hashi's can go in remission, especially if you eliminate gluten from your diet. But your thyroid can splutter and produce more thyroid, then less, while it dies.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-11, 10:24

Stats: 215/195.6/172 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Thx Maile and Nancy - interesting info about hashi's, had no idea that gluten had an effect. Have been totally gluten free since November, so that may be exactly what happened. Looks like I need to start finding a new dr. Or planning some trips to dc!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-11, 17:21
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Also the antibody tests, the only one I've had as TPO but there is another one. What happened with the nodules? Have you looked on about.com? I've found a couple of good doctors from her top docs. I also participate in yahoo reverse T3 group. The moderators are excellent at deciphering lab results, I've been happily self treating the last few months.

Let me find the link I'll be right back...

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/RT3_T3/
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-12, 15:30

Stats: 199/174/140 Female 5 ft 5 inches
BF:
Progress:

Where in Los Angeles do you live? I might be help you find a doctor that will give you Armour.
Bertha
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-12, 16:48
Registered Member

Plan: my own design
Stats: 258/189/205 Male 6' 3"
BF:?/12%/15%
Progress: 130%

Well, how to you feel while off your Armor? If you feel OK and with your test results there is no reason for you to take Armor. And, it is possible for thyroid test results to be temporarily out of range.

* if you are able to obtain a prescription it is possible to order Armor through the mail.
* endos are not the best choice for mild cases of hypothyroidism. A Naturopathic Doctor will give you a Armor prescription.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-12, 16:57

Plan: HCG Diet
Stats: 215.5/191.1/155 Female 177cm
BF:Human twinkie
Progress: 40%

It's so scary to me that the medical "profession" (I feel like it should be renamed "industry") is so bloody useless, people have to resort to the internet for supplies and information or face ill-health the rest of their days!

Then we end up maligned by society because we've gone low carb and we're self-treating. *sigh*
Hey if I end up healthy, I don't care HOW it happened!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-12, 14:56

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by maile1
if you go to healthcheck usa they have most of the tests for a reasonable price if you can afford to pay for them yourself.
And even if you *have* insurance the healthcheckusa prices can be cheaper. The last time I had the thyroid tests run as ordered by a doctor the cost came to over $1800! Of course my insurance at the time covered most of it, but my out-of-pocket was still a couple hundred bucks. And now that I'm not working the insurance I have has a $5000 deductible and so far this year I haven't used any of it - so any doctor-ordered tests would cost me the couple thousand out of my own pocket - so if I go for tests I'll definitely check out healthcheckusa -now that I live in a state where it's legal to self-order tests (I used to live in NJ where it was illegal to do so, as it is in New York and Rhode Island - but legal in all 47 other states)

Note, I just checked healthcheckusa.com and the complete thyroid panel that includes TSH, rT3, Ft4 and Ft3 is $170.00. That's WAY cheaper than what I paid *with* insurance, and it's only $85 if you test TSH, FT4 and FT3 without the rT3 test. Lots of other good tests at good prices!

Last edited by Merpig : Sun, Sep-23-12 at 15:04.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-12, 20:57
Registered Member

Plan: my own design
Stats: 258/189/205 Male 6' 3"
BF:?/12%/15%
Progress: 130%