Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-11, 14:13

Plan: my own
Stats: 285/247/199 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Matabolism and Heat.......technical understanding

I understand that Metabolism is the rate of calories used to sustain our bodies. I understand that we eat and exercise in ways to maintain a high level of metabolism.

We often speak of burning calories. I believe that when we use calories, heat is produced. When we exercise, heat is produced. Is the heat it self beneficial in fat loss? Thus, if we were to wear tons of extra clothes or turn the heat up in the house, could we effectively increase fat burn? Or would the exact opposite be true, that if we go extremely cool, would our body fight that and burn more calories in an attempt to maintain core temperature.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-11, 15:43
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

These 2 papers should give you an idea of how our body's can burn more calories or not depending on the temperature and need to keep warm.

Does Brown Fat Protect Against Diseases of Aging?

Beige can be slimming

The is a paper I've linked to in another thread showing that EXERCISE (even though moderate during the day) was sufficient to enable an Australian sand rat (wild type not a lab rat acclimatised to living in a lab) to better maintain temperature when challenged with a drop in temperature. The rats that didn't get to run about on a wheel where less able to cope with a drop in temperature by getting brown fat to burn more calories.
It's possible that our lack of exercise (even lack of moderate exercise) may mean we don't respond to a drop in temperature at night. or possibly because some people have heating in their bedrooms and leave the central heating on at night there is no change in temperature so no need to raise thermogenesis?
I live in an old house with draghty windows (not double glazed) and a few weeks ago we had ice INSIDE the windows it was so cold. But no heating in bedroom, Just a duvet. But my brown fat must be OK because I'm as warm as toast even in those bitterly cold nights/days. I think that is where some of my excess calories are going.
You can improve mitochondrial function by exercise, intermittent fasting and a ketogenic diet. I use all three strategies though my exercise is basically going outside for an hour and pottering round the garden or a short walk. (It's not a calorie burning type workout. I couldn't manage that)

I think if you had a long time at a steady state temperature your body would adapt to that temperature. I think its the change in temperature that stimulates the need or for or initiates thermogenesis.

PS I'm also a user of MCT oil (MEDIUM Chain Triglyceride) I have both MCT oil and coconut oil daily. (coconut oil is a good source of MCT) Effects of margarine containing medium-chain triacylglycerols on body fat reduction in humans. this shows how they work at improving calorie burning after meals. Don't go looking for MCT rich margarine. Skip the rapeseed oil and soybean oil margarine as they are not going to help you lose weight. But adding coconut oil and/or MCT may help stimulate thermogenisis.

Last edited by Hutchinson : Wed, Feb-09-11 at 16:00.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-11, 19:07

Plan: My own.
Stats: 206/194.4/155 Female 5'6"
BF:27.17%
Progress: 23%

Is metabolism really about calories? Your body doesn't 'burn' calories. Hormones are all used in the break down and usage of the macros (protein, fat, carbs) in your system.

A calorie is an energy measurement. It's determined by how much of a food is needed to raise the temperature of water one degree when the food is set a fire. Is that how your body uses it? By setting it 'on fire'?

Some say saunas help you lose weight because of the heat.

I don't eat or exercise to have a high metabolism. I eat to keep my blood sugars low and stable, and I exercise for the benefit it is to my body- flexibility, circulation, strength, endurance, etc..
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-11, 05:20
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

But a sauna involves a CHANGE in temperature both when the temperature is raised (causing your body to sweat in an attempt to lose heat) and then change when you have a cold shower and shiver to raise body temperature again.

At night (if you turn the central heating off and leave the window open) you body temperature will drop. If the temperature change is too great you may shiver and that may wake you up but brown (or perhaps even biege) fat tissue can (if you do not have dysfunctional mitochondria) upregulate their heat generation potential and keep your body warm (or sufficiently warm to stop you shivering and waking up) automatically.

But the ability of brown/beige fat to generate heat as required depends on how much of this brown fat you have and that depends on your adiponectin levels Keeping omega 3, vitamin D and magnesium levels optimum will raise adiponectin.

That is probably what is going on with Bitter Melon and thermogenisis and Green Tea and Caffiene