Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 16:31
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb NSAID's and fluid retention, weight gain ..

NSAID's .. non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs ..

These are excellent pain relievers and effectively reduce inflammation just as the name suggests, without the nasty side effects of steroid drugs such as cortisone or prednisone. Unfortunately, they do have side-effects of their own, including stomach upset, possible stomach ulcers and .... fluid retention and edema!! For those of us with chronic pain conditions, these drugs are a mixed blessing .. they allow us to function comfortably, but the edema and weight gain can be so frustrating

Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) is the most commonly available, although naproxen (Aleve) is available over-the-counter in the US (and now also in Canada). Many of the NSAID's which are available by prescription-only also have this tendency .. eg. Celebrex.

Why do NSAID's cause fluid retention?

NSAID's block the formation of certain "bad" prostaglandins which cause inflammation and pain. However, they also block some "good" prostaglandins too .. in particular those that are needed do keep blood vessels in the kidneys dilated. When blood vessels in the kidneys are constricted, then the flow of blood is reduced, which in turn reduces the glomerular filtration rate (GFR), or the rate at which the kidneys filter blood. This slowed filtration rate causes a bit of a backlog in the bloodstream which leads to increased blood pressure, so the body relieves the pressure by causing some of the excess water-fluid to seep through the blood vessel walls and into the tissues. The reduced filtration rate also causes the kidneys to retain sodium and potassium.

For most people, this effect is temporary and transient; it clears up once the NSAID is out of the system. However, persons with kidney disease, the elderly and also liver disease need to use these with caution, or even not at all. Also persons taking ACE-inhibitors for blood pressure, and potassium-sparing diuretics such as spironolactone should not use NSAID's without discussing with their dr. This includes aspirin!

What to do if you need to take NSAID's?

1. Take fish oil supplements. The omega-3 fatty acids have anti-inflammatory effects of their own, by also inhibiting the formation of "bad" prostaglandins. Minimum 3 capsules per day (1000mg per capsule) .. make sure they're fresh! Or .. eat 4 - 5 servings of fatty cold-water fish per week, such as sardines, mackerel, and salmon. Avoid canned fish in soybean, cottonseed or "vegetable" oil .. choose only water-pack or olive oil, or packed in its own juices. Those other oils are high omega-6, and will undo any benefit from omega-3 EFA's in the fish.

2. Don't stop taking prescribed medication without consulting your doctor. The anti-inflammatory benefit usually outweighs the temporary fluid retention.

3. Reduce sodium intake, and avoid using potassium supplements or salt-substitute while taking NSAID's. Use salt-free herbal blends instead, eg. Mrs. Dash.

4. Ensure adequate hydration by drinking at least 8 x 8 fl. oz. glasses of water daily ... Despite the fluid retention, it's important to prevent dehydration which will further compound reduced blood flow to the kidneys. In other words, keep them kidneys flushed!

5. Avoid caffeine and alcohol, as these promote dehydration.

6. Increase fiber - especially fiber from vegetables - and ensure adequate fat intake. Nuts and seeds are excellent as well. Fiber and fat together help to avoid constipation, which can worsen the fluid retention.

hth,

Doreen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 18:09
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thanks for posting this, Doreen!

Definitely food for thought about the potassium. I was certainly unaware that K was retained along with the sodium. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Roz (still bloated...)
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 18:59
Forum Founder

BF:
Lightbulb

Roz, from what I read, the potassium and sodium restriction is meant only for when you're actually taking the NSAID's, since GFR returns to normal once the drug has been excreted. So, if you take NSAID's intermittently, then you're fine to season your foods ad lib on the "off" days.

Personally, I'm not about to stop eating red salmon or avocados, even though they're high in potassium

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 09:45

Stats: 316/273/180 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

My goodness...I suppose I have to expect slower weight loss then. Thank you for posting this, I take a myriad of meds (14) for heart failure and my potassium is a MUST as is nsaids included with my pain meds.
Thanks so much for the info...had no clue nsaids could make me retain fluids.
~Cindy
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 07:47

Stats: 257/234/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Thanks for posting this Doreen. I have been taking 800 mg of Motrin the past couple of days. I should be taking 3 a day for Plantar Fasciitis. I do not like to take these pills because I already have a fatty liver and take lipitor as well. I do not really want to take anything else that passes through the liver. However, the pain has just been so bad recently, especially when I try to exercise I have no other choice. But thanks again that might explain part of my stall.

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-11, 11:18
Forum Founder

BF:
Exclamation

I know this is an old thread, but the information is still relevant.

Just wanted to update:

If you're looking for an alternative to oral NSAID pills for temporary muscle pain relief, you might consider using a topical cream or gel preparation . If you object to the strong odor of some brands, there are odorless types available.

I've found Myoflex Cream and Voltaren Emulgel to be very effective . Both of these are available over the counter in Canada; not sure about anywhere else in the world.

Warning : don't use topical anti-inflammatory creams/gels at the same time as NSAID pills, unless advised by your doctor or pharmacist that it's okay to do so.

Anyway .. it's just an option, if you're concerned about side effects from oral NSAID's. Do not stop taking prescribed NSAID's without discussing with your doctor.

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-11, 13:45

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

Thanks! I was taking extra potassium and I frequently take naproxen for my arthritis in my back.

Actually losing weight has greatly improved everything but when it rains ugh!