Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-02-02, 05:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 148/122/115
BF:
Progress: 79%
Question Getting severe morning hunger pains

Hi everyone,

I'd like to apologize beforehand cos I know this is gonna be one clumsy post.

About 3 years ago, I started getting these intense hunger pains when I wake up in the morning. Sometimes during the night even. I'd wake up in the middle of the night, with this pain in my stomach, hunger. As soon as I eat something, the pain disappears, and I go back to bed.

Since I started LCing, these hunger pains became less frequent, until recently.

Yet I still get these URGENT NEEDS for food when I wake up every morning. No longer hunger pains but if I don't eat something immediately, I'll get shaky & lightheaded, then start to sweat seriously.

I've always thought that my problems might be psychological cos I'm a stress-eater. Plus I binge from time to time. Maybe I'm just a morning-bingeing person?

Yesterday afternoon, I practically ran to the fridge after I woke up from my nap. I ate 1/2 a spring chicken in less than 3 minutes. Then I felt "normal" again & I slept for another hour.

This morning, I got this "extreme urgent need" for food again. I tried to ignore it at first. Yet I became lightheaded after a couple of minutes. I tried to focus on brushing my teeth but I gave up. As soon as I ate something (eggplant & chicken), I felt better but sleepy again. I went back to bed & slept some more.

9 outta 10 mornings, I go straight to the kitchen the second I wake up. It's like I'm on auto-pilot or posessed!?

Do u guys think that my problem is medical or psychological?

I tend to get sleepy after a meal, too.

A year ago (Sep 01), I had a GTT (I drank this sickening sweet thingy. Then the nurse came & took my blood a few times.). The doctor told me that my readings were a bit high (Is that called a pre-diabetic finding?). He said I have to watch my diet carefully or I'll definitely become a Type II diabetic. I didn't watch my diet. I must have eaten like 200lbs of sugar last year.

My dad and both his parents all have diabetes, Type II.

I eat between 1650kcal to 2500kcal a day BTW. I'm losing about a pound a month.

I thank u all in advance.

Bebe

Last edited by disneybebe : Fri, Aug-02-02 at 05:54.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-02-02, 10:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hello sweet Bebe. It seems to me that what you are describing - the shaky need to eat - is what I used to get when eating carbs: low blood sugar after and insulin spike.

Just what are you eating before you go to bed? (I know, I could go and check your journal.) Are you eating enough in the evening?

The other possibility is that this is a side-effect of the new medication you are taking. I will go and check a few medical sites to see if that's possible.

Here is one site: click here The side effects are almost at the bottom of the page.

Another site here

And another one.

Don't put off eating if you feel that way because that's what you NEED for relief.

No, I don't think it was psychological: psychology doesn't usually wake you up in pain and hungry.

If one glucose test has already shown you to be prediabetic in levels, these are new symptoms that need to be reported to your Dr. and perhaps another GTT is necessary.

I'll be back soon.

Last edited by tofi : Fri, Aug-02-02 at 10:57.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-02-02, 11:22

BF:

Hiya BarB,

Thank u so much for responding. And the links, too, thanks a lot.

I've been getting some side effects from Paxil, diarrhea, increased sweating, muscle soreness, tired and sleepy almost all the time, unexplained nervousness (just a few times) & clumsiness Maybe increased appetite as well? Gosh, I just realized that I am getting a lot of side effects from it. Paxil is making me feel like crap, LOL

I usually have a couple of ounces of meat b4 I go to bed. I'm off carbage

I eat more than enough, averaging about 14.6 times my bodyweight. Some days I eat less but I never go below 11 times my weight.

I think it's time to have another GTT. Yikes, I hated that sugary drink. It's like sweetened glue

Thanks again.

Bebe

Last edited by disneybebe : Fri, Aug-02-02 at 12:16.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-02-02, 12:03
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Yes, Bebe....that's exactly what it sounds like to me too..... low blood sugar. The part that has me baffled is the timing of it!? I would definitely talk to your doc about it. I'm sure there's a solution.

I'd rather have my hair set on fire than have a GTT.... YECH!!!

XOXO
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 01:17

BF:

Hiya Teri,

Thank u so much for responding.

As much as I hated the GTT, I'd still rather have another one then have my hair set on fire, LOL

Will call the doctor & make an appointment asap.

Can't believe that I'm going to have to have sugar against my own free will!! Does that qualify as cheating? LOL

Thanks again BarB & Teri.

Bebe
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 14:07

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Bebe, are you taking chromium? One of it's side effects, if you take to much, is low blood sugar. Especially chromium picolinate. Chromiun sulfate doesn't have so much of an effect.

;-Deb
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 17:04

BF:

Hiya Deb,

Thanks for responding to my thread.

I'm not taking any chromium

Have a great weekend, Deb.

Bebe
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 20:48

Plan: My own
Stats: 300/300/230 Male 194cm
BF:
Progress:

I thought Chromium picolinate helps to balance your blood sugar. Then again, you did say taking too much of it can have a negative effect on your blood sugar. But if you take the right amount, I have an understanding that it helps to balance blood sugar.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-21-06, 08:45

Plan: Raw Foodhist & Daoist
Stats: 170/160/145 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I felt like this the first time I tried low carb. It was horrible. Looking back now, I don't think I was eating enough food. For some reason, I thought I had to be deprived.

Now I try to eat 3 salads a day. I wake up, I eat a salad with some cheese on it within an hour. Then a few hours later, I have meat, few hours later, more salad with cheese and perhaps a tad of meat on it, etc... I alternate salads & meat all day. I eat 2 hours before bed too - meat with cheese or a salad.

Made all the difference for me. No more shaky weird feelings in the A.M. and I am losing.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-08, 08:18

Plan: daily excercise good diet
Stats: 220/180/170 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default caffeine

One issue for me when i was working early morning shifts (4.AM) i was drinking 3-4 cups of coffee in the morning. I had the same problems, waking up with extreme hunger pains and light-headiness until i ran to the fridge and ate. When i got switched onto the afternoon shifts, i decided to kick the caffeine habit and in about 2-3 weeks, my morning hunger died down dramatically. I'm still hungry in the mornings (naturally), however, i don't feel the pains and the light-headed feeling anymore. Don't know if it was just coincidence but if you intake a lot of caffeine, maybe try cutting back?

Mitch