Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 10:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/140/120 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Sugar free Lifesavers

Anyone try the sugar free Butter Toffee Lifesavers? They claim to have 0g sugar carbs. The package says: Total Carbohydrate 13g, Sugar 0g, Sugar Alcohol 13g. For those counting carbs the 13 grams of carbohydrates in this product come from sugar alcohol which have a minimum impact on blood sugar.

Good, bad? Would once in awhile hurt?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 11:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 234/160.8/150 Female 173
BF:37%/27%/23%
Progress: 87%

I am not sure and would like an answer to this too!
But I have read that SA's are 50% absorbed in your stomach, so wouldnt you have to count half the carbs?
So it you count 1/2 which is 6.5 then there are a dozen in the pack, does that make them .5 carb each?

Or does the SA re-affirm your sugar cravings?

Lot to answer for the old time professionals!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 11:20
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

icky SAs

you may want to read up more on sugar alcohols before eating products loaded with them.

Realistically they will probably add on about 7 or so carbs to my day and a lifesaver isnt worth that many carbs to me lol.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=177645&

Quote:
Maltitol isn't a carbohydrate by the strict chemical definition [A Mono-, Di-, or Polysaccharide consisting of Carbon and Hydrate (Water,)] its an Alcohol [not the drinking kind,] but it still isn't much better than Sugar. Gram for Gram, it has about 53% of the effect on your Blood Sugar that Sucrose has [76% for Maltitol Syrup,] and 68-75% of it is absorbed. So, figure that for every 2g of Maltitol, you'll get the effect of 1g of Sugar, and for every 4g of Maltitol Syrup, you'll get the effect of 3g of Sugar. So, 14g of Maltitol would have the effect of 7g of Sucrose [Table Sugar.] 14g of Maltitol Syrup would have the effect of 10g of Sucrose. Definitely not as bad as say a 3 Musketeer Bar with 41g of Corn Syrup, but definitely not 2g of Net Carbs. I treat Maltitol, Maltitol Syrup, and Polyglycitol Syrup (HSH) as 1/2g to 3/4g of Carbs per 1g, and thus no longer consume products containing large amounts of Maltitol.

Maltitol Syrup = 76% of the GI of Sugar
Polyglycitol Syrup (HSH) = 57% of the GI of Sugar
Maltitol = 53% of the GI of Sugar
Xylitol = 19% of the GI of Sugar
Isomalt = 13% of the GI of Sugar
Sorbitol = 13% of the GI of Sugar
Lactitol = 9% of the GI of Sugar
Mannitol = NON-GLYCEMIC
Erythritol = NON-GLYCEMIC
Glycerine = NON-GLYCEMIC
Polydextrose = FIBER [AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED]
Tagatose = NON-GLYCEMIC [Some studies indicate it may actually reduce the GI of foods its eaten with.]

http://www.mendosa.com/netcarbs.htm

and

Quote:
Most food chemists and scientists agree that their absorption ranges from about 10 to 15 percent to upwards of 50 percent, depending on the sugar alcohol (and the individual) in question, and by that measure they clearly contribute something to both daily carb totals and calorie intake.

It is our feeling that prudent dieters (and all diabetics) should include one-third to one-half of the grams of sugar alcohol in a food in their daily carb totals, meaning they should count a food containing 15 grams of sugar alcohol as contributing at least 5 grams to there daily carb total.

Many food manufacturers, however, have now adopted a policy of deducting sugar alcohols fully from the total carbohydrate count, which creates what appear to be near zero-carb confections.

This somewhat misleading zero-sum policy poses the danger that the low-carb nutritional movement will make the same mistakes that derailed the low-fat trend-- giving people the impression that they can eat all they want of these products and still lose weight. Granted, health will still improve as long as dieters control their intake of carbs; blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol, and triglycerides will fall even if you're consuming too many calories, as long as you're sticking with a low-carb regimen. But losing weight is another matter.

The quote is from Low Carb Living Magazine
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 11:25
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
But I have read that SA's are 50% absorbed in your stomach, so wouldnt you have to count half the carbs?
So it you count 1/2 which is 6.5 then there are a dozen in the pack, does that make them .5 carb each?

Sugar alcohols are partially absorbed. Up to 75% of maltitol can be absorbed, which is why I count half of sugar alochol carbs but in this case Total carbs is carbs per serving. Serving size is 1 or 2 lifesavers probably which would mean almost 7 carbs per life saver if a serving size is one or 3 and change per lifesaver if a serving size is two.

Personally I think its a waste of carbs for all those sugar alcohols, not to mention the laxative effect.