Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-11, 15:55

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdatzo
Hey HappyLC,

I am driven by a fascination for the relation between food and different health oucomes (mostly major chronic disease). This goes back to my youth and goes much further than an average interest.

By actively discussing the effects of food with others, I learn what drives people, what their points of view are, and how I can change my perspective in order to improve my knowledge about foods. In a few years, I will be a dietitian, and I want to help people with various interests, diets, and diseases as best as I can.
And of course, I like to talk crap from time to time.

To put it succinctly...me too. I would prefer to be vegan, but my body apparently prefers me to be a meat eater, it seems. I am fascinated by the fact that some people are helped by low carb, and others by a lowfat, plant-based diet (McDougall, Fuhrman).

Quote:
This goes back to my youth and goes much further than an average interest.

Could you expand upon this, if it's not too invasive a request?
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-11, 16:11
Registered Member

Plan: not clear
Stats: 140/160/160 Male 189 cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
To put it succinctly...me too. I would prefer to be vegan, but my body apparently prefers me to be a meat eater, it seems. I am fascinated by the fact that some people are helped by low carb, and others by a lowfat, plant-based diet (McDougall, Fuhrman).

Same here! It is interesting to know if individuals are actually helped by their diets, or if they just linked 2 variables occuring after each other to "a causal effect". Or possibly, meat/grains might be (un)healthy under certain conditions and for some populations. Very little is known on this topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
Could you expand upon this, if it's not too invasive a request?

It's not invasive. I read that milk/dairy might decrease colorectal cancer risk, while at the same time increasing prostate cancer risk. This got me triggered to evaluate the effects on a larger scale in order to "know" if foods might influence different populations in different ways, and to "know" if these effects might differ by the amount of milk/dairy consumed.
Years earlier, I extensively studied books linking vitamins positively to various health outcomes. At that time, I was convinced foods/nutrients might impact health to a large extend.
  #123   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-11, 12:05

Plan: Keto
Stats: 194/159/145 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

My condolences. When cancer strikes you always want to know if it could have been prevented. Diet is not the whole picture. There are so many carcinogens in our environment and so many genetic variables that it is impossible to attribute cancer rates to dietary factors alone.
  #124   ^
Old Sun, May-15-11, 13:17

Plan: high protein
Stats: 172/159/154 Male 178 cm
BF:18%/13%/10%
Progress: 72%

Research into meat and cancer typically don't distinguish between 'unprocessed' meat - like a stake - and cured meats like sausages. Cured meats contain sodium nitrite and they can be turned into nitrosamines in the stomach. And those are linked to cancer. But ascorbate in your diet will block this.

Sugar simply blocks your (innate) immune system, making sure cancer promoting agents get a fair chances for doing damage. And fructose is the worst.
  #125   ^
Old Sun, Aug-21-11, 18:39

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 231/212/185 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 41%
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Mocci
realdeal31 How about some links to that bull. I 'd love to read it .. Thank you .. Ron*
PS Wifezilla Right on (-:

Sorry Ron_Mocci i guess i must have forgotten you. Hope you are still alive.
  #126   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-11, 19:05

Plan: Atkins- leaning Paleo
Stats: 182/154/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdatzo
Effects from carbohydrates will probably differ largely by the type of carbohydrates consumed. For example, whole grains may actually help prevent diabetes, and heart disease.

Well, my "N group" is only two... but my whole-grain X since 1970 eating parents have one case of diabetes and one case of heart disease. Dad's had two heart attacks, 40 years apart. This one in October nearly killed him.

The older they got, the more they shied away from meats, and my father has always eschewed fat. Whoopsie.
  #127   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-11, 18:06

Plan: My own
Stats: 284.4/151.8/134.4 Female 5"3
BF:
Progress: 88%

Meat today is generally from grain-fed beef. Grains are grown with chemical fertilisers and pesticides.

Grain fed beef is also virtually non-existant of omega 3.

Grass-fed beef is rich in omega 3 and if not fed on pastures but native growing grasses, are also chemical free.

Maybe this has something to do with meat eating and cancers ????
  #128   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-11, 12:29

Plan: protein power
Stats: 215/209.6/135 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatRealFoo
I'm really confused
My aunt was diagnosed with terminal liver and pancreatic cancer, carcinoma. She started itching and her skin became yellow and they thought she suffered with icterus but eventually found the cancer and the metastasis.

She is the fourth member of my family who develop cancer and like the other one she has always been an heavy meat eater with a special dislike for bread, rice and most veggies. She grew eating grilled meat and lot of steak.

My parents are now feeding her vegetables juices and fresh fruits and her health, in spite of their condition, is improving since eating only plants.

I started searching "cancer survivors" and "diet" or "alternative therapies" on the net and I found only references to eating more plants and less meat.

First off, so sorry. My heart goes out to you and your family.

2 points.
First point, liver cancers are sometimes the result of viruses, such as hepatitis. In fact people who have had even a mild bout, in the past, mild enough not even to cause symptoms, can get liver cancer years later.

Second point: We are all different. Our bodies react differently to the same foods. Some of us are allergic or intolerant to stuff that others eat without a care in the world.

I think it's hard when arguing statistics, because there are always the "outliers" who prove the opposite point. Outliers don't disprove something, they merely illustrate that not everyone will follow the same statistical curve.

So when something is outside of expectations, you need to look at whether there is a significant group of outliers that say can't deal with protein or an significant group of outliers that can't cope with carbs.

I used to believe the business about vegetarians being healthier. Then one day a long time 7th Day Adventist vegetarian friend died of breast cancer. She ate low fat, high in veggies, no extra sugars, no huge amounts of fruit and got her proteins from legumes, and consumed whole grains. She shopped at the health food store for crying out loud. Organic, expeller pressed stuff! But she died! It shocked me.

Then some years later I tried going vegetarian, doing vegan part of the time. I ended up with a severe allergy to soy, my thyroid swelled into a goiter and I got Hashimotos. I've had half of it out. I cut the soy and other legumes out but the damage was done. I have struggled with auto immune issues since.

Unfortunately I was looking at the stats I had available to me at the time, and forgetting about individual differences. Stats are great for large numbers of the population, but not for outliers.

A better way for me would have been to go with what made me feel better (low carb, high fat, moderate protein and NO trans fats or vegetable oils beyond coconut and olive oil)

But I was scared. I was an RN, and I had years of propaganda telling me to ignore my body and eat more veggies, especially soy.

I hope your aunt beats this, and if she goes with whatever makes her feel better, then who cares about the stats.

Stats treat populations in groups of thousands. They don't see individuals. Best of luck
  #129   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-11, 19:37
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 217/210/145 Female 52
BF:
Progress: 10%

I REFUSE to believe that meat causes any disease, but I do believe may of the additives to meat would be the likely culprit. But I think a SAD diet would be more dangerous than Atkins or LC.
  #130   ^
Old Sat, Nov-19-11, 08:42

Plan: Mixture .. mainly Paleo
Stats: 168/163/120 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

My great aunt lived to be 102 and her daughter is 92. They never went on a diet and ate what they wanted. I don't know how much; maybe just to appetite. The French lady who lived to be 122 smoked until she was 100. So, maybe worrying about whether it is meat, veggies or whatever causes more health problems than not worrying about what you eat. Just a suggestion.
  #131   ^
Old Sat, Nov-19-11, 13:01

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayria
...maybe worrying about whether it is meat, veggies or whatever causes more health problems than not worrying about what you eat. Just a suggestion.

This may be one of the best things anyone ever posted here.

May I make this my new sig line?
  #132   ^
Old Sat, Nov-19-11, 17:53
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.

This article is a nice look at research which legitimately did show "cancerous" results from meat/dairy when a comparative diet not of animal products did not.

However, when you read the article, you'll see the problems with that...

It's a review of the show "forks over knives" but if you don't want to wade thruogh that, ctrl+f search the page for this text:

Minute 26:05

And read from there on.

http://rawfoodsos.com/2011/09/22/fo...w-and-critique/

PJ