Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-08, 08:03

Plan: CALP & Exercise
Stats: 236/129/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 111%

Welcome!

May I suggest you go to the Library and borrow a CAD/CALP book until you get your own.

There are a few of us on this plan and you can see what we are doing on the Hour Power #2 thread.

Please join us and ask any questions you would like.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-08, 08:06

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Hi Jetinagain,
I agree...best thing you can do is to get ahold of the books. I follow CALP (Using Stella recipes as often as possible...love his stuff!!) ...and agree also with your posting in the Hour Power#2 thread.

If you check journals, you can see food logs and get an idea as to what others are doing on a daily basis.
  #78   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-08, 08:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiegirl
I took the test this morning and scored 100% also. I started on this way of eating right away. I am hopeful that it will work for me but have many doubts simply because I have failed on every diet I have ever tried (apart from one when I almost starved mysel to normal weight and then got pregnant and put all the weight back on again). I gained weight on Atkins, gained weight on Bernstain, managed to regain my lost weight while on Weightwatchers and Slimming World etc. Do you really think that at last I might have found a way of eating that will really work for me? I do SO hope it will.

I think I need a lot more information about the Reward Meal as the only book I have read is the original CAD book and all it says is that you can have whetever you want and try to make it balanced. I am waiting for the arrival of the Lifespan Program (it is currently not available from Amazon as it is out of stock - that is an indicator of its popularity).

I think I have to start my reward meal with salad. Anyway I will trawl my way through all this excellent information and find out.

Just need to say one thing - thank you all for being here

Hi Josiegirl,
Reward meal should begin with a salad (or double serving of a cm veggie) and your meal should be proportionally 1/3 protein, 1/3 cm veggies, 1/3 carbs....the meal finished within 60 minutes.

Some folks use 3 bowls or small plates to make it easy to get that 1/3 balance, or you can use a plate and just try to visually check the balance that way.
  #79   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-08, 09:26

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciakr
Hi Josiegirl,
Reward meal should begin with a salad (or double serving of a cm veggie) and your meal should be proportionally 1/3 protein, 1/3 cm veggies, 1/3 carbs....the meal finished within 60 minutes.

Some folks use 3 bowls or small plates to make it easy to get that 1/3 balance, or you can use a plate and just try to visually check the balance that way.

Yup. And it is so easy that way. All you have to do is eyeball everything.
  #80   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-08, 09:29

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

jet, I think I know what the problem is. First of all, when you say "CAD meal" you mean your RM, right? I wouldn't recommend eating very low-carb most of the time but then putting in an RM every once in a while. I think it would have the same effect of a person "cheating on Atkins"--your body is going to jump on the carbs in surprise and eagerness and you will hold onto your weight. The sudden carbs out of nowhere (v. carbs on a regular basis...once a day) will cause your insulin to go crazy in response to it not knowing how much more glucose may appear in the bloodstream any minute. That's just my theory...but if you read the books (as recommended here), you'll see it could all make sense.

I personally don't believe in "switching plans" during the course of the week like that. I think it messes with the body and with your mind. Definitely pick up the books. Each is a very easy read and will go quickly, and afterward, if you have questions...well, you always have us.
  #81   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-08, 06:56
Registered Member

Plan: Stella/Carb. Addicts Diet
Stats: 238/210/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 29%

thanks for all the input. i will get the books next week. but for now, i enjoy the way it makes me feel. just more comfortable not eating all those carbs i use to eat. i do have alot more to learn. and i learn something new everyday.
  #82   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-08, 08:35

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Stats: 224/224/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress:

Thank you everyone for your advice and support. I really appreciate it very much. The advice about the three bowls to help with the 1/3 portion sizes is excellent - now I am wondering why I didnt think of that myself

My library doesn't have the Lifespan Program available. The copy I bought for 33 p second hand is comig snail mail from the USA (but postage is only around £5). I was so desperate to get this book I jumped at the chance. Dunno how long it will take to arrive but armed with the information here I am sure I can soldier on until it does come.

Bless you all for being here. Wonder how many of us would give up if you were not around to give all this fantastic advice and support
  #83   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-08, 22:46
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/164/145 Female 64 inches
BF:

Until I can get the books, what is CAD/CALP? Just a short explanation will do. I have just found this thread and haven't a clue. (New to Atkins)

Thanks for any info.
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-08, 09:45

Plan: CALP & Exercise
Stats: 236/129/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 111%

seniorgal,

Check out the thread below and it will give you an idea of what CAD/CALP is.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=68691
  #85   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-08, 05:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/197/164 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress:

Hey You guys?
I am re-entering the post from somebody from a lot of posts ago. She says:

One other thing--I am a coffee and cream drinker-specially in the morning--you said that can cause stalls in weight loss. Is it the coffee or the cream??

Anybody know? Thanks,
Diane
  #86   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-08, 09:38
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane47
Hey You guys?

One other thing--I am a coffee and cream drinker-specially in the morning--you said that can cause stalls in weight loss. Is it the coffee or the cream??

Anybody know? Thanks,
Diane
It's probably the cream. Cream has carbs. Also, the body perceives that the coffee with cream is eating food which promotoes insulin to deal with the "meal". Insulin promotes fat storage.
  #87   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-08, 10:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 335/272/180 Male 6 ft 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Instead of just regular cream, try heavy whipping cream. (The kind that comes in the carton, not whipped cream) It gives the coffee the body you're looking for, you use less of it and it has fewer carbs. (The stuff I get from the grocery store says it has 0 carbs per Tablespoon.) I prefer it to the regular powdered or liquid coffee creamers.
  #88   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-08, 12:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane47
Hey You guys?

Anybody know? Thanks,
Diane

I have never had a problem following the rule of only 2 oz. of half and half outside my RM coffee...and start the day with coffee and the 2 oz. every day.

I would not have more than the 1 cup outside of my rm..though I might have a black coffee...but... I have read about caffeine triggering insulin release in some...which would then def. be an issue. (you can google for articles on this).

I think it is a very individual thing...if you feel the rest of your food is spot on for what it should be, then look at how much coffee you are having and try a test of lessening it.
  #89   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 18:00

Plan: CALP since 2.16.09
Stats: 322/309/168 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danieloser
Instead of just regular cream, try heavy whipping cream. (The kind that comes in the carton, not whipped cream) It gives the coffee the body you're looking for, you use less of it and it has fewer carbs. (The stuff I get from the grocery store says it has 0 carbs per Tablespoon.) I prefer it to the regular powdered or liquid coffee creamers.

I agree, according to the Land O' Lakes Heavy Whipping Cream nutritional info on the carton, it has 0 grams of carbs.

Some people do not respond to coffee well in general, and I am one of them. I love the smell and taste of it but have to limit it to half cup per day.
  #90   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-09, 18:15

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
Atkins induction is great for carbohydrate addicts (CAs). However, when you move off induction and start adding back in carbier vegetables and sf products, many CAs find themselves reacting with ever larger appetites, eating more than four times a day, and cravings for carbs. This is a sign that CAs are reacting with higher insulin levels. Insulin is the hunger hormone and stores fat. Therefore, many CAs, though eating a lot fewer carbs can find their weight loss stalling. Some can even gain weight.

Some CAs can continue to do well on Atkins by controlling insulin raisers, triggers, and by making sure not to eat more than four times a day. That can be tricky because CAs react to total carbs and sweet tasting foods even if they have no carbs.

This is fascinating information, particularly the bit about eating four or even more times a day. Sometimes on induction, it felt like ONE daylong meal, and from what you've explained here, that is very counterproductive.