Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-07, 12:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246.8/241.3/175 Female 5'7
BF:WAY TOO MUCH
Progress: 8%
Question Yogurt question...

What kind of yougurt does everyone eat? The book says a low fat with sweetner & fruit. I have tried the Yoplait with Splenda, and though I use Splenda in my coffee & tea I really don't like the flavor of it in my yogurt. I also don't care for the aspatame in the other yogurts. I was going to buy a low fat plain one and add some of my vanilla protein powder( made with Splenda but tastes great), fruit and bran. What do you do? Thx!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-07, 13:15
Green for Life!

Plan: G.I. Diet
Stats: 193/148/143 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hi...my favourite brand is Silhouette by Danone. I am in Ontario and I have been able to buy it in Quebec too, so you should be able to find it at your local grocer. It is however made with Splenda. It is pretty much the only brand I ever buy...don't really like the others. I will buy the large containers of Astro, or now our No Frills store is selling something called Finesse. I aim for low calories and 0 fat. The individual Silhouettes have only 40 calories and no fat. Good luck finding something you enjoy.

Oh one other thing I occasionally do, I seen on Martha Stewart. Take a serving of either plain or vanilla yogurt (I don't like plain so I use vanilla) and add a tsp of no-sugar added jam...makes a tasty sweet snack!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-13-07, 13:52

Plan: Atkins, Zone
Stats: ---/155/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

I also eat Silhouette by Danone the pink containers has no fat no sugar but ya cant beat Activia...it has that probiotic bacteria stuff inside...so i dont take silhouette anymore...i rather have activia..yes i know its not in the GI...but if im going to eat a yogart its going to be something good for you and not fake...sorry thats my opinion..

http://www.iniardwatch.com/?p=73
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-14-07, 09:36

Plan: IBS Diet/Intuitive Eating
Stats: 321/194.2/199 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%
Default Yogurt question

I add my strawberry flavored protein powder (which is sweetened with stevia) to my plain, lowfat yogurt, and it tastes yummy! :-)
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 13:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 134/134/120 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

I eat this greek yogurt called Fage. My mom first discovered it at the health food store (trader joes) but now they sell it at shoprite n everywhere. Its sooo good its really creamy and comes in 0,2,5% fat its a big cup bigger than most yogurts and theres only 5 carbs for the whole thing...i usally add splenda n a lil cinnamon..soooo gooodd!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 05:02

Plan: Atkins, Zone
Stats: ---/155/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

my son was looking for greek yogurt for this recipe...i told him i had no clue cause never seen it...so i told him to try the health food stores...if im not mistaken thats made with goat's milk? usually greek stuff like that is either goat or sheeps milk...im sure it tastes good too..but not sure if its allowed in GI...
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-07, 08:47
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 305/248.5/150 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 36%

Lanny, the Fage greek yogurt is actually made from cow's milk (according to their website and the container), but they also make a goat/sheep's milk yogurt blend. It's not strained like their cow's milk varieties, so it's probably a little thinner - but that's just my guess.

Like most yogurts, because the added bacteria convert milk sugar (lactose) into lactic acid, the carb count is quite low, despite what the label may read. (The one and only time you'll see me discounting the label!) Usually, plain, unsweetened yogurt runs about 4 carbs per cup. Not bad at all. I can't swear to the glycemic load, but given that Fage loads in 15 g of protein and a reasonable amount of fat at the same time, it shouldn't hit blood sugar too quickly or hard. I love the stuff, especially with a few almonds, a few frozen blueberries, and a couple drops of liquid sucralose stirred in. Heavenly.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-07, 12:03
Green for Life!

Plan: G.I. Diet
Stats: 193/148/143 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Wow...great weightloss...good for you congrats!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-07, 12:15

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
The book says a low fat with sweetner & fruit
I am very surprised since Atkins is high fat.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-07, 12:31

Plan: Atkins (What Else??)
Stats: 245/143/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Dannon Light & Fit Carb Control low carb/low sugar yogurt
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-07, 12:39
One Bite At A Time

Plan: South Beach Phase II
Stats: 232/183/130 Female 62 inches
BF:67/34?/20
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim8461
Dannon Light & Fit Carb Control low carb/low sugar yogurt

That's the only one that I've tried while on Atkins. I'm used to the organic plain ones, so I didn't care for the flavor or the texture of it.
Quote:
Usually, plain, unsweetened yogurt runs about 4 carbs per cup.

Kimberwolf I still don't understand how you only get 4 grams of carbs per cup of that yogurt. That just doesn't seem logical, can you explain that more fully?
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-07, 13:54
Go Big or Go Home

Plan: I plan to lose weight!!
Stats: 000/000/150 Female 5'5
BF:47.65/25.28/28.8
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandra
Kimberwolf I still don't understand how you only get 4 grams of carbs per cup of that yogurt. That just doesn't seem logical, can you explain that more fully?
This might help explain it a bit...

Quote:
2) The Bacteria That Makes Yogurt Dines On Lactose
But wait, there’s good news! It turns out that when you introduce the bacteria that makes yogurt (this is also true of kefir) it eats up much of the lactose, thus reducing the amount of sugar in the final product. This was confirmed by Dr. Jack Goldberg, co-author of the GO-diet and the Four Corners Diet, who has done extensive testing of fermented milk products. He found that up to 8 grams of carbohydrate are consumed by the bacteria in a cup of yogurt, kefir, or buttermilk that contains live cultures. Under ideal circumstances, this would reduce the 12 grams of carb in a cup of milk to 4 or so grams of carb.
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/wh...yogurtcarbs.htm

I eat the Balkan Style Natural Plain Yogurt. It's thicker and creamier than any other yogurt I've tried (a friend told me it's very similar to Fage which I can't find).
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-07, 18:25
Registered Member

Plan: High Fat (Lutz/Groves/JK)
Stats: 151/136/129 Female 63 inches
BF:?/27%/24%
Progress: 68%

Kroger Carb Master

Love it! Low fat, low carb, sweetened w/Sucralose and Ace-K.

According to the label: 80 calories, 1.5 gm fat, 4 gm carbs less 1 gm fiber = 3 gm net carbs.

Best of all, each cup supplies 35 percent RDA of calcium!

Compare with the junk that passes for "yogurt" in most supermarket dairy cases. I think of Carb Master as "Dannon on a Diet" -- gelatinized texture, sweet taste (VERY SWEET), not a "natural" yogurt per se but plenty of nutrients packed into those 80 cals.

Available at "Food for Less," Kroger's discount grocery chain, for less than 50 cents per 6 oz carton.

Too good to be true? Sometimes I wonder about the accuracy of that label info.

Andrea
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-07, 18:40

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 150/155/125 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -20%

Every day I eat plain yogurt with flax seeds or plain yogurt with frozen raspberries. I add the berries in the morning and put it in the office fridge. By my afternoon snack time the berries have thawed adding some sweet raspberry juice, I stir it up and love it.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-07, 22:01
Registered Member

Plan: High Fat (Lutz/Groves/JK)
Stats: 151/136/129 Female 63 inches
BF:?/27%/24%
Progress: 68%
Default P. S.

"Food for Less" ran a sale on its house brand yogurt (Kroger).

25 cents per...

Last time I bought yogurt that cheap, Reagan was president. Al Gore had yet to invent the Internet. And I had not a single gray hair -- no, not one.

(sigh) The Bad Old Days.

Did I stock up? Does Carter have pills? fyi, active live cultures include l. acidophilus and b. bifidum. Also I ran the numbers: actual net carb may be 3.5 or 4 grams -- still a great buy for price and nutrients.

Andrea