Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-18-07, 00:27

Plan: High fat LC
Stats: 437/349/134 Female 5 ft. 5 in.
BF:Next/Goal/350
Progress: 29%
Default Coconut oil users?

I love this stuff. It evens out my energy level and helps curb my appetite, espcially for carbs. Anybody have any experience? I would love to know. Sometimes I can sell myself before the real experience and personal data is in, and I think other experiences could be a reality check here. Thanks, CJ
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-07, 17:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/150/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress:

I don't use it because its really bad for your heart. A tablespoon contains 12 grams of saturated fat. I don't recall ever even trying coconut oil to be honest. My favorite type of oil to cook with is toasted sesame oil, and its considerably healthier.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-07, 19:07

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo
I don't use it because its really bad for your heart. A tablespoon contains 12 grams of saturated fat. I don't recall ever even trying coconut oil to be honest. My favorite type of oil to cook with is toasted sesame oil, and its considerably healthier.

This is a misconception. Coconut oil is a saturated fat but saturated does not always equate to "bad for your heart". Coconut oil especially, helps to raise HDL ( good ) cholesterol without affecting LDL. It actually protects the heart.Coconut oil is an antibiotic, antifungal and antiviral. It promotes thyroid function, improves diabetes, and protects the skin against sun damage. It also repairs the skin that has already suffered sun damage. This isn't new information. If you would like to read more check out The Coconut Miracle by Bruce Fife or go to http://coconutresearchcenter.org > i have read this in other publications as well.

As far as my experience; I put coconut oil in coffee. I fry eggs in it and I put some in my turnip greens for lunch today. I have recipes for foods such as coconut milk mayo and coconut/berry smoothies. The milk is just as vital as the oil . I have been using it reularly since Thanksgiving and I lost an aditional 8 lbs since using this miracle elixir. I also have fungal toenails that are finally clearing up...something that I did not expect. My hair dresser noticed improved condition of my hair and i don't even put it in my hair. All of these notable improvements have been achieved through injesting the oil and milk. I want to continue injesting it, primarily just to see what it will do for me in this manner.

Last edited by black57 : Fri, Mar-09-07 at 19:14.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-07, 19:13
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 140/140/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

Black 57
When you say that coconut oil protects your skin against sun damage, do you mean when applied topically or when taken internally. Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question!
Thank you
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-07, 19:18

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamblets
Black 57
When you say that coconut oil protects your skin against sun damage, do you mean when applied topically or when taken internally. Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question!
Thank you

No it doesn't sound dumb at all. I am really new at this and I am still reading the book. DH made dinner for me so I am going to have to click off. But I would guess that coconut oil will protect the skin from injesting it. I say this because my skin is so much softer. I had dry skin patches on my arms which have vanished. My once dry feet are even considerably softer. They look so much better. I want to see what injesting coconut oil will do first before I apply it topically.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-07, 19:31
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 140/140/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for that.
I have used it topically on my hair (mine is all dyed due to greyness) and although it is pretty foul whilst it's on, when washed out my hair looks amazing. I have a very bad dry patch in the centre of the palm of my right hand which only went away when I was eating approx. 1 - 2 tblspn a day. However I started to panic a bit about the amount of added calories. I have been on atkins for over ten years and have successfully maintained at low 140lbs all this time, I felt the coconut oil was adding a lot of extra calories and began to see a change on the scale so I stopped. Unfortunately dry patch on right palm came right back, so wondering if I should just apply it topically.
Let me know how you get on.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-07, 07:40

Default I have used topically, too

I love coconut oil for using just as a hand and body lotion, and I love it. I have not tried the hair, but I think I need to. I have made some half coconut oil/half olive oil mayo with a hand-held immersible blender and it was wonderful. Love to mix it half and half with cashew or almond butter for stuffing celery, and am starting to use coconut milk, too, a "substitute" for cow's milk or cream in smoothies.

So far my experience with the oil is better energy and body warmth which are good things, but wanted some idea of what other people were experiencing in terms of energy and weight loss, so thanks for the input. I think I will keep using it to see how it does long-term.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-07, 11:18

BF:

According to my book, The Coconut Oil Miracle, the body does not store the oil as fat. As a matter of fact it is used immediately for energy. Populations where coconut oil is a common staple are quite thin. I have been using 3 1/2 tablespoons daily and I lost 8 lbs since thanksgivung.

Last edited by black57 : Sat, Mar-10-07 at 22:01.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-07, 23:06

BF:

I am looking over chapter 7 in my Coconut Miracle book. This you may all find interesting.

Coconut oil can help:

1. Prevent heart disease, high blood pressure, artheriosclerosis and stroke.
2. Prevent diabetes and relieve symptoms and health risks associated with it.
3. Support the development of strong bones and teeth.
4. Promote excess weightloss.
5. Kills viruses that cause mononucleosis, influenza, hepatitis C, measles, herpes, AIDS and other illnesses.
6. Reduce symptoms associated with panreatitis.
7. Reduce the severity of problems pertaining to malabsorption syndrome and cystic fibrosis.
8. Relieve symptoms of gall bladder disease.
9. Relieve gastric problems in association with Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, and stomah ulcers.
10. Relieve pain and irritation experienced by hemorroids.
11. Reduce chronic inflammation.
11. Relieve symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome.
12. Relieve symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia ( enlarged prostate ).
13. Reduce the frequency of epeileptic seizures.
14. Prevent kidney disease, liver disease,bladder and urinary tract infections.
15. Kills bacteria that causes pneumonia, earaches and throat infections, food poisoning, meningitis and many other such diseases.
16. Kills fungi and yeast that causes candida, jock itch, ringworm, athletes foot,thrush, diaper rash etc. ( explains why my toenails are clearing nicely ).
17. Expel or kill tapeworms, lice, giardia, and other parasites.
18. Reduce symptoms of psoriasis, eczema and dermatitis.
19. Relieves drying and flaking ( explains why the flaky patches that were on my arms have disappeared [B])
17. Prevent damaging affects of UV radiation from the sun such as wrinkles, sagging skin and age spots.
18. Control dandruff.

Medium chain fatty acids ( MCFAs ) are found in breast milk. This is the active ingredient in coconut oil.Coconut oil is used as both food and medicine in various parts of the world where coconuts. A well known example would be the Ayurvedic and Indian folkloric medicines used to treat various conditions such as burns, wounds, ulcers, skin fungus, lice, kidney stones and choleraic dysentery.

I cannot guarantee how truthful everything is, but I do believe that it is worth investigating. I know Drs. Michael and Mary Dan Eades ( Protein Power ) use it regularly for these reasons.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-07, 09:22

Default Thanks Black57

That's an amazing list. I really do notice a difference and am looking forward to experiencing some of the benefits and learning to cook some different LC dishes because coconut oil is not what I am used to. Love it though.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-12-07, 09:28

Plan: 30 or less daily
Stats: 232.2/214.4/169 Female 68
BF:[url=http://www.Ti
Progress: 28%

black57,

THANK YOU for clarifying on how coconut oil effects our hearts! I have gotten hooked on the stuff and when I read that it's bad that really scared me. There is a lot of heart problems in my family so this concerns me big time!

Thanks again,

Cissie
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-13-07, 15:08

Plan: Raw Foodhist & Daoist
Stats: 170/160/145 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Ive been using coconut oil for a few years now. I stopped using 'heart healthy' vegetable oils..after reading extensively on it. I started using only butter, olive, and coconut oil. Coconut oil should be used to replace other oils, not just as a suppliment.

Coconut oil is a laxative, so be careful.

I would never use expeller pressed coconut oil. The type of oil, how its made and all that jazz really makes a big difference. If you are looking for antiviral properties, its best to get an oil that has not been heated during its processing and eat it raw. Expeller pressed oil is heated. Most coconut oils on the market use expeller/solvents to produce the oil. Finding a good coconut oil requires some study and lots of label reading and some bucks. Good coconut oil will cost over 10 bucks for a small jar and use a centerfuge for processing the copra.

Good oils will say right on the label how they are processed. If it doesnt say, beware.

The latest studies claim heart disease is cause by viruses, not saturated fat. Mostly the herpes virus (cold sores). Anyone who reads a great deal about health should be aware of this.

I have not had any weight loss from it, but I do use it when I have a cold because it opens the lungs and makes me breathe better. I rarely get sick since I started using it. I used to get sick a few times a year.

The benefits Ive read about coconut oil were all from native people who ate it regulary as a part of their natural diet. Sure, they have less diabetes, thinner bodies, etc... does that mean I will? maybe if I moved to the tropics and solely ate their diet I would. Their native diet, foods grown on their native soil, with coconut oil as a small part of it.

I do believe it has antiviral properties, antifungal, and all that, because I have experienced that.

Good luck everyone!