Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-02-05, 14:14

Plan: Eclectic
Stats: 205/205/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default GO or Four Corners followers???

Hello. I am finding my way back to the GO diet balance. I'm hoping there are others still following this woe. I can use all the help I can get!

Wynnsigil
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-02-05, 14:30

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 163.4/154.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 66%

What is that? I'd be interested to know more.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-02-05, 14:35

BF:

There's a review in the Plan Comparison section of this website. It has seemed one of the simpler plans to me. Low carb, healthy eating.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-02-05, 14:36

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

Hi Wynn
I read Four Corners but I don't own it - got it from the library. I think it's a great plan and easy to follow. I'm also interested in and looking into Paleo/Neanderthin and GO is kinda similar - in my opinion - meats, vegies, nuts. They don't do yogurt though. Some paleos eat dairy. I definitely feel better without dairy and wheat and sugar. I read a book by Dr. Haas called False Fat Diet. He's all about food allergies and getting wheat, dairy, soy, sugar (some other things too) out of your diet - many people are allergic or sensitive to these foods and they make you retain water, etc. - I agree with him. So anyway, I think GO is a great WOE - looks really healthy to me. It seems that not a lot of people know about Four Corners. Let me know how it's going, okay.
LizzyLC
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-02-05, 15:37

BF:
Default Thanks Lizzy

Yup, kinda my thoughts too. I can't figure out if GO or 4th Corner came first. And just in reading the site here I have interest in the Warrior Diet and also the Slow Burn plan...lots of stuff to read and think about. Keep in touch.

Wynnsigil
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-03-05, 09:12

BF:

Hey Wynn
I think 4 corners is an update. I haven't heard of Slow Burn - I'll have to check it out. Warrior seems hard to follow - for me anyway. I think I kinda overloaded myself on reading about so many diet/woe books lol.
Let's keep in touch - see how the plans - whichever - are working. Unfortunately, I kinda lack a basic part of any plan - discipline. I'm working on it though.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-03-05, 10:40

BF:

Discipline is a difficult one...perserverence is my downfall. I do like the simplicity you have chosen...no grain, no white, no sugar. That's the kind of thing that works well for me, and is part of my mantra for staying here. no sugar...no white...three meals...

A user here called Galladriel sp I think is doing Slow Burn and gave some useful information. She's a marathon runner and the diet is related to running ld. When I am not so fat that I fear running will destroy my knees I am a runner as well. Hopefully in a month or so I will be out there. Though not for a marathon...again, that lack of perserverence.

I'm keeping a journal, and a My P.L.A.N at least for now, so yeah, keep in touch. I like the forums because of the people and interaction...hope we can continue to correspond.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-11-05, 11:08

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I'm looking for info on the GO diet (for yeast-related troubles).

The "slow burn" is an exercise technique. The Drs. Michael and Mary Dan Eades wrote an exercise book using the slow-burn technique. You exercise just once each week, and only do a couple reps. BUT, each rep is something like 10 seconds long, and you use freakishly heavy weights. Try the exercise forum for more info.

Me? I'll plug along looking for people who've had success with the GO diet. I think the 4 Corners diet is similar, but I really have no clue.

Can anyone help?
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-11-05, 11:32

BF:

Hey Bawdy

I'm pretty sure Four Corners is the updated GO of 1996. Same authors. I read a library copy but think it's worth the purchase. I haven't read GO so I don't know if there are changes or what kind of changes they made. I think it would be a good diet for yeast problems - it includes yogurt.

That slow burn sounds kinda strange. Maybe it works. I'll check out the ex. forum.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-11-05, 12:41
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

I haven't followed the diet specifically, but I do have the Four Corners book . Yes .. it is the updated version of the old GO diet.

In a nutshell, the 4 corners are:
  1. low-carb eating - up to 50g net carbs per day, up to 15g net carbs per meal (it's fine to have less, if preferred)
  2. high monounsaturated fat, reduced saturated fat - at least 50% of total fat intake must be monounsaturated, while saturated fat is limited to no more than 40g per day.
  3. high fiber - 25 to 30g fiber per day
  4. pharmafoods - colorful non-starchy vegetables and berries rich in phytonutrients; plus yogurt, kefir, buttermilk and other fermented foods such as raw sauerkraut, which have live probiotic cultures
There's no set portion size .. basically it's "eat until satisfied, but not stuffed", as long as you stay within the guidelines for carbs and fats. Obviously, if you're not losing weight then you might want to consider reducing portion size to see if that gets things moving along.

Fruits are limited to no more than one portion a day, with berries the preferred choice. No juice.

Fiber should come from non-starchy vegetables, low-glycemic fruit, nuts, flax seed, bran (corn, wheat, rice or oat bran), very-high-fiber/low sugar cereals (eg Fiber One) and bran crispbreads. Psyllium is another option, but it doesn't provide any nutrients as the other foods do. Breads, cereals, pastas etc are not allowed even if they're "whole grain", nor are lentils, beans or other legumes ... they're too high in carbs.

It can be a bit tricky to ensure at least 50% of your fats are monos. It's suggested to eat avocados often, have nuts for snacks, cook with olive or canola oil, and limit cheese and other high-fat dairy foods. Meats are fine .. the natural fat in meat and poultry is approx. 40% monos, 45% sats. Add a salad or steamed green vegetable with olive oil dressing, and it's perfect

On the subject of yogurt, the book presents the idea that the live cultures "eat up" all the lactose so that it's greatly reduced in carbs. There are no references or documentation of any kind to support this assertion .. but one of the book's co-authors has stated that the greatly reduced carb count applies specifically to homemade yogurt made from full-fat milk, with no "milk solids" or other additives, and it must be fermented until very sour. Commercial yogurts, including organic type from a health food store, will not have this advantage of being completely fermented, so the carb count is closer to the full amount stated on the label. My 2¢ is that everyone should make their own yogurt .. it really is quite easy, less expensive and tastes so much better. Even when fermented till sour, it still tastes fresher than the stuff that's been sitting for who knows how many weeks on the grocer's shelf. There's an easy recipe in the book for making your own yogurt, no fancy equipment required .

The book is very user friendly, with lots of practical suggestions, shopping lists, quick menus, ideas for a tight budget etc. Most chapters also have a special section with tips for diabetics

hth

Doreen
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Dec-11-05, 13:18

BF:

Thanks for that synopsis Doreen. I'll keep it handy.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-24-06, 13:31

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 200/201/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -2%

I'm reading the book now. I've been on Atkins for while and I think it's time for a change.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-06-06, 10:18

Plan: The Four Corners diet
Stats: 340/330/180 Female 6'
BF:
Progress:

I just re-started the go-diet, now known as the Four Corners Diet. Started Go about 5 years ago after I had been doing Atkins for awhile, and my weight loss slowed down considerably with GO so I went back to Atkins, but I eventually fell off that too. At this point, I don't care anymore about quick weight loss anymore - I have a considerable amount of weight to lose and if it takes a couple years, that's Ok, I just want to be healthy and I really think the Four Corners diet is the healthier way to go for me. BTW, I bought the book used on Amazon for $1.00!! For those of you who are interested in it and don't want to spend alot of money for the book check out the used book section. Anyway here's wishing sucess to all of us following this WOE...
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-16-06, 14:07

Plan: protein power-GO diet
Stats: 224/179/166 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I've been doing a hybrid diet of Protein Power and Four corners/GO Diet for about 5 years...Took off about 50 lbs, but can't/won't lose the final 10-15 and I'm not too worried about it.
Four Corners isn't too hard to follow and is really health focused, I think.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-17-06, 04:22

Plan: The Four Corners diet
Stats: 340/330/180 Female 6'
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up I'm on Go/Four Corners too

Hi! I just started back on GO/Four Corners about a month ago too. I am not sure how much weight I've lost because my scale won't register me yet but I figure around 10 - 15 lbs. This past weekend I was able to get into a pair of jeans I received for a Christmas gift but couldn't wear because they were too small - so I know I am losing. I have tried Protein Power, South Beach, Carbohydrate Addicts and Atkins but I prefer the Four Corners. It just seems the healthiest to me and I feel great when I eat this way. I have accepted that this is not a "diet" but rather a WOE for life and I am getting to the point now where I don't even miss what I can't have. Plus, with the new products out there like low carb bread and pasta, I don't feel so much like I have to deny myself these things if I really really want them. So far I have avoided the bread but I have tried Harvest Home low carb pasta and it is fabulous. I save it for a treat, like once or twice a month, with some Ragu Homestyle low carb sauce - it's great!! Anyway, good luck and keep posting, as I will - we can support each other! Oh - I bought a yogurt maker and have been making my own yougurt, kefir and buttermilk too. It's much cheaper that way and just as good.