Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-18, 17:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
What got us into this shape, literally, is sugar and carbs. So as I told my DH the other day, fruit is sugar. It's a slippery slope and it's sneaky. First a little then a little more and than the carb monster takes over...again!

Everybody has their own "slippery slope" foods. Of course it's not induction, it's phase 2, but a few chunks here and there of honeydew or cantaloupe or a few strawberries is like manna from heaven for me, especially in the summertime. I can have a few pieces once in a while and enjoy it, and it has no ill effect. Peanut butter and other nuts are slippery slope foods for me. I can't have a little without having a lot, and gaining weight. Everybody's different. That's why we go through OWL and figure out which foods work for us and which ones don't.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-18, 22:10

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I was really referring to induction since Barbie is just starting, fruit is sugar and it's a nono.
The effects of stabilizing blood sugar is a big thing for me so I've tried to eliminate sugar for my own good.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Oct-19-18, 06:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I was really referring to induction since Barbie is just starting, fruit is sugar and it's a nono.
The effects of stabilizing blood sugar is a big thing for me so I've tried to eliminate sugar for my own good.

Oh, yes, of course!
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-18, 09:28

Stats: 252.6/252.6/175 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thank you all! I have learned so many things on this board!

Barb
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-18, 19:40
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I gave up on 'cottage Cheese' years ago due to inconsistent quality. I want cheese curd -- not liquid whey.

Used to be able to shake the container to detect liquid, but now with the new-style packaging and top seals that's no longer possible

I just use homemade kefir now -- it's whey better -- LOL
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-18, 21:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
... I just use homemade kefir now -- it's whey better -- LOL

Good one!
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-19, 10:40

Stats: 195/178/150 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Not the best induction food--but I've mixed grated cheddar with heavy cream. Tastes very much like four percent creamed cottage cheese, at least to me.
What a great idea! I actually misread this and just made a salad. I had a spinach salad mix (with arugula), so I mixed it with sour cream and grated cheddar. I figure maybe 3-4 grams of carbs in what I put in. I added some mayo because it was too thick. Then I added cut-up red bell pepper, some cayenne pepper sauce, and fresh-ground black pepper. Yum! (Finished it, and I am very satisfied with that as a meal.)

Next time I will try heavy cream. I buy a case of pints (12) at a time. I used to call it my "fuel." Coffee with heavy cream!

For anyone in induction, I recommend starting with a prejudice against *any* non-fiber carbs on a label. Reserve the 20 grams of carbs a day, induction level, for natural carbs in vegetables, where it will be mixed with fiber. Fiber is not only filling, it has many benefits. Fat and fiber both slow the conversion of carbs into glucose, so help keep glucose levels and thus insulin, down.

And ditch the fat phobia, conditioned in us from over forty years of propaganda. Fat satiates, and part of how low carb or keto work is the effect of fat on appetite. Enjoy it!

Very important in Atkins. Enjoy your food! (And enjoy life in general.) I have learned to keep foods I love on hand, I've learned what will keep (and what will not).

Ideally, when prepping food, I think about how good it will be! By the time I sit down to eat, my mouth is watering, as it should.

Because I went off the food plan for some years, I gained weight, and at my age (74) it is proving resistant, what used to cause weight loss rapidly no longer does. I understand that is a normal shift with age.

But by going back on the plan for about a year, I did lose ten pounds. But that had stalled, so recently, I decided to try VLC, eliminating almost all carbs. It's working. That may or may not be sustainable, but I'll find that out later. I know that it is reasonably safe, from that very old study with an explorer who had lived with the Inuit.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-19, 11:54

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Cottage cheese is a "too delicious to stop spooning" food. Better to just avoid it. Sour cream is a reasonable substitute.

To add to Abd-- it takes time to see all the benefits of LC. Over time I dropped all the LC desserts, crystal lite comes and goes, meals are simple but full of flavor: many different onions, spices, herbs, etc. Made a scallion and hamburger combo microwaved, and topped with smoked paprika, thyme, cumin, ground chili pepper, and lots of black pepper. Topped with cooling sour cream. Funny how speed eating has changed to chewing and chewing and chewing, originally to strengthen the jaw muscles and teeth, to eating is rather prolonged and pleasant .... not just a chore. ( And skipped the salad, no longer hungry.)