Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-12, 21:32

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default mycoprotein

Are there any here with myco protein experience? The best fake meat I had ever was made from that. It is from fungi! I assume it is complete but even tgat is unclear. With so much back and forth about soy it would be good to have an alternative
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-12, 08:39
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

http://www.mycoprotein.org/faq/index.html
Quote:
12 Are there any groups of people who should not eat Mycoprotein?
Vegans cannot eat Mycoprotein owing to the egg content. People who are known to have an adverse reaction to fungi should avoid Mycoprotein. Mycoprotein is safe for children.

Quorn™ products are perfectly safe for children and babies but because of the high energy requirements demanded by the rapidly growing child we do not recommend that Quorn™ products replace meat totally in the diet of young children and babies (less than 3 yrs old) because of their low energy densities (number of calories per gram) and satiating (satisfaction of appetite) effects. However as part of a well balanced diet Quorn™ products are perfectly safe to introduce to young children in small amounts.

Note; most Quorn™ products are unsuitable for coeliac sufferers and people who are gluten intolerant since they contain either roasted barley malt extract (brown products), wheat ingredients, or are made in factories which handle wheat ingredients.

Lactose is present at low levels in most of the range of Quorn™ products. Therefore whether or not Quorn™ products are suitable for people who are lactose intolerant depends on the product type and the particular sensitivity of an individual to lactose. infosheet
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-12, 02:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/320/165 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monika4
Are there any here with myco protein experience? The best fake meat I had ever was made from that. It is from fungi! I assume it is complete but even tgat is unclear. With so much back and forth about soy it would be good to have an alternative

I agree with you. I love Quorn foods! To me, they taste better than the real thing!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-12, 19:39
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 180/160/155 Male 171cm
BF:
Progress:

Problem for me is that they have egg - any truly veggie versions?