Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-14, 13:57

Plan: CAD
Stats: 148/144/120 Female 5ft
BF:
Progress: 14%

Meant to say I DONT post much lol...must've started the new year bottle early
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-14, 10:16

Plan: One meal a day CAD style!
Stats: 235/212/140 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi all. I am still here, mainly doing one meal a day still. Sorry I don't post much. I have been on some more active threads on lowcarbfriends recently but I do try to check back on the other ones from time to time. Hope all are doing well in the new year!

My current weight is bouncing from 212-214 range but TOM is coming up so hoping to see a bit lower once it passes.

MIW
  #93   ^
Old Mon, May-05-14, 07:28

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%

MIW, Are your still eating the big breakfast? Are you still looseing. I was thinking of getting afew of the Rib Eyes and cooking them up for breakfasts. I cant bang around in the kitchen that early in the morning.
  #94   ^
Old Wed, May-07-14, 09:01

BF:

No, I actually went in a different direction from once a day eating about a month ago. For the last year even though I enjoyed eating like that I stopped losing weight and was in a plateau. I guess I can't complain since I was eating a ton of food but I wasn't losing so I switched it up. I am not even following low carb or CAD anymore.

It can work however as there are many people who do it but I have realized that the people who have success with CAD and IF is because of calorie restriction- not that it changes the way your body stores fat. Maybe in the beginning but I have seen many others over the last year and a half with various forms of CAD/CALP or IF and analyzing their eating habits it is because of cutting out calories. I am interested in high calorie weight loss and not slowing the metabolism but speeding it up!

Good luck! I will say that I wasn't hungry eating that way and there are many positives. Just keep track of your eating to see what works and what doesn't!

MIW
  #95   ^
Old Wed, May-07-14, 09:10

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitwork
No, I actually went in a different direction from once a day eating about a month ago. For the last year even though I enjoyed eating like that I stopped losing weight and was in a plateau. I guess I can't complain since I was eating a ton of food but I wasn't losing so I switched it up. I am not even following low carb or CAD anymore.

It can work however as there are many people who do it but I have realized that the people who have success with CAD and IF is because of calorie restriction- not that it changes the way your body stores fat. Maybe in the beginning but I have seen many others over the last year and a half with various forms of CAD/CALP or IF and analyzing their eating habits it is because of cutting out calories. I am interested in high calorie weight loss and not slowing the metabolism but speeding it up!

Good luck! I will say that I wasn't hungry eating that way and there are many positives. Just keep track of your eating to see what works and what doesn't!

MIW

I don't agree that my weight loss this past year, and ending the plateau I was on is simply due to lower calories. A calorie is not a calorie! It very much matters what I'm eating each meal. I find calp principles to be the way to eat, and will happily do so the rest of my life.
I expect maintenance on calp to go fairly smoothly.

Best wishes with what you've chosen to move on to.
  #96   ^
Old Thu, May-08-14, 09:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciakr
I don't agree that my weight loss this past year, and ending the plateau I was on is simply due to lower calories. A calorie is not a calorie! It very much matters what I'm eating each meal. I find calp principles to be the way to eat, and will happily do so the rest of my life.
I expect maintenance on calp to go fairly smoothly.

Best wishes with what you've chosen to move on to.

Patricia nice to see you are still following me and my experiences. You are one of many who have been doing this long term who do keep close track and cut calories! I have been on every CAD and CALP board (except facebook) that I could find on the internet for 18 months straight and followed many people doing it longer than me. Many I don't even know their names but you'd remember Teri. Even Teri got very detailed in her caloric intake logs and I know another gal who is now at 108 pounds (starting from 130) and she is doing CALP by calorie restriction.

If you don't believe me then do higher calorie version of what you are doing as see if you notice the same progress. I am not saying this other than to be truly scientific about it and if you don't think it has to do with your calories then prove me wrong and up your calories and see what happens.

That is all I am pointing out. I do think the balance and linking of protein with carbs works- but only to a degree. It does work great for hunger control and cutting out empty calories. I found that out myself here as for a time I was able to up my calories to the 3000-4000 range and even with IF it worked but only for short term like 6 weeks. It is not sustainable in terms of being able to lose weight UNLESS calories are cut.

MIW
  #97   ^
Old Wed, May-21-14, 07:07

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%

So, I have decided two meals a day within an eight hour period is working for me. My hunger pangs have quieted down. Interesting that the same day I decided this there was an article on Medscape that shows that eating a large breakfast and lunch only is better for diabetics then the six meal snacks a day. I'm not diabetic but this WOE seems to be my "nitch". I am trying to stay at 700 cal in am and 500 to 700 in pm. I don't get hungry in the evenings and feel now if I ate it would be out of habit. The first couple of days were tough, I have to admit. Not having a family to feed helps, too.
  #98   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-14, 15:53
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

I only eat once a day in the late afternoon since 5 July 2013. It's worked like a charm for me since I have portion control issues and I love to feel "full" when I finish a meal.

I am doing A '72 with a twist since I also do lower kcals (calories). I am in maintenance at 800-1200 kcals and 6-12 carbs a day.
  #99   ^
Old Fri, Dec-18-20, 10:12

Plan: SEC
Stats: 198/183/150 Female 168 (5.512 ft)
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Insulin Resistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitwork
The Carbohydrate Addict’s Diet: Gimmick, Fad, or Metabolic Adjuster?

How the Carbohydrate Addict’s Diet was discovered, formed, refined, studied, and demonstrated to work with those who are Insulin Resistant

Many of us are overweight and are looking for ways to improve our health and lose weight. We have dieted in the past, only to find it a struggle the entire time: hungry, cranky, elated with the weight loss but eventually giving up only to gain all the weight back and usually even more than when we started. For some of us it has been a life long cycle of exactly this. Diet, become miserable, give up, end up worse off then having not even dieted at all.

It was due to their own similar weight loss struggles that eventually led Dr. Rachael Heller and Dr. Richard Heller to further their research. They wanted to find out how the weight Rachael lost that she accidentally stumbled upon worked. They later went on to study and refine that way of eating for consistent results with others who have similar metabolisms.

Dr. Rachael Heller had been overweight her entire life. She discovered one day when she had to fast for an X-ray that she lost 2 pounds, even though she ended up eating a rather large dinner that night. She was surprised by that and decided to continue eating the same way for the next week to see what happened. She basically fasted all day, then ate what she wanted during dinner. She realized she felt fine all day with limited hunger, good energy levels, and could still eat the foods she really liked for dinner and not suffer for it like she had following traditional low fat and low calorie diets. She continued this way of eating and ultimately lost 150 pounds!

Her husband had also struggled with his weight over the years and started keeping track of foods that seemed to satisfy him and others that seemed to trigger hunger. When they finally met later in life they decided to research their combined experiences to see how and why they had finally been able to find a way of eating that did everything we all dream about when dieting: satisfies hunger, gives you energy, allows you to still eat and lose weight, allows you to eat everyday regular comfort foods and still lose weight, is simple (no weighing, no counting calories, etc).

They went on to study why eating, and especially eating certain foods seemed to trigger more hunger and weight gain in certain people. The main culprit is how the body reacts to the hormone insulin. They found that with people who were Insulin Resistant (IR), they seemed to be hungry all the time, and all had especially strong reactions to carb rich foods. Hence dubbing this way of eating The Carbohydrate Addict’s Diet. They studied certain common symptoms found in people with insulin resistance and came up with a test that reader’s of their books can take to see if they have it without having to take blood tests with their doctor.

They used already known research and knowledge about insulin resistance and metabolic factors and studied how eating certain ways seemed to limit the release of insulin and this is the key to their diet. It was found that it is not necessary to fast all day like Rachael had done. You also do not have to cut out carbohydrates altogether either. You could eat foods that did not stimulate large amounts of insulin release and still lose weight. Not having large amounts of insulin floating around the blood stream has other added benefits besides weight loss: less hunger, less cravings, less drowsiness.

These are the keys to the success of this diet. You feel good. You have energy. You are not mindlessly hungry and craving certain foods and constantly wanting to eat. You can still eat wholesome foods, and once a day you can have an actual real meal for dinner (or your favorite time of day to consume carbohydrate rich foods) complete with any of your favorite foods and still lose weight. You don’t have to count calories, count fat grams, weigh things, buy special diet food or products, etc. It is an actual way of eating that is simple, easy to follow, healthy, nutritious, satisfying, and most of all actually works for up to 80% of people who have Carbohydrate Addiction. It is an actual way of life.

80% success you ask? Yes. They studied 1000 people and followed them for 2 years and found they had an 80% success rate. They fine tuned the diet and continued to study it more over the years and have found over time things that seemed to contribute to failure in certain people and have gone on to publish more books and diets specific to this. Some people eat too much during their Reward Meal time- hence the CALP book’s recommendations of an actual spelled out balanced meal: Start with a 2 Cup salad, look at your dinner plate and divide it into thirds: 1/3 protein, 1/3 more of vegetables, and 1/3 of a carb of your choice. They also found in certain people MSG, sugar free products, and caffeine can be triggers to release insulin. Watch for these symptoms of cravings, increased hunger, weight gain or stalled loss to be your guide that something you ingested during the low carb meals or snack is the culprit. Some people snack throughout the day, others do not mind to the one hour limit when eating. These are things that contribute to additional insulin in the blood stream. More insulin equals more hunger and weight gain.

A similar diet was set up and studied in Israel and was found to have similar results to the Heller’s Carbohydrate Addict’s diet. You can read more details about that study here:

Saving Carbs for Dinnertime Might Help Control Weight
Saving Carbs for Dinnertime Might Help Control Weight - healthfinder.gov

The Carbohydrate Addict’s Diet (CAD), and the Carbohydrate Addict’s Life Span Program (CALP) work differently than other low carb diets. You only have to follow a few simple guidelines. You do not have to keep track of carbohydrate intake for the most part. There is no induction phase, nor do you go into ketosis. On those types of diets you are given a daily allotment of carbs you can ingest. You get to choose when you want to eat them. You can eat all sorts of low carb products, and you can graze and eat all day as long as you stay within your carb allotments.

The CAD/CALP diets differ in that the food you eat, how frequently you eat, and the length of time you eat has everything to do with the Insulin Resistant metabolism. The more carbohydrate rich the foods, as well as the frequency in which one eats causes more release of insulin. In those with IR, you want to use your metabolism to your benefit. You want to manipulate it to suit you. Hence, you eat as low carb as possible, and no more than 2-3 times a day for these low carb meals. You can still eat plenty of vegetables during the low carb meals for the added nutrients of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. It has been found that you can still eat carb-rich foods in a balanced amount with the rest of a meal one time a day and still lose weight. However, you need to eat within an hour.

There are several reasons, the main being how your body releases insulin. Any time you eat, your body releases insulin in different phases. At the start of eating your body will begin to release insulin based of off previous meal intake. If previous meals were low carb, then it will release less insulin since it was primed to do so. The next phase is off of currently ingested food. If you are eating longer than an hour your body will continue to release more insulin into the blood stream. Limiting your carb-rich meal to one hour will not only cut back on the amount of food you might eat, but also uses these insulin mechanisms to your benefit.

With other low carb diets, you may be consuming less carbs in total over the day, but still having insulin in the blood stream far more regularly than if you limited meals to a total of 3-4 times a day and ideally spaced 3-6 hours apart. Not to mention with other low carb diets you can actually eat quite a lot of carbs at meals and still be considered “low carb.” Think of the CAD/CALP way of eating as “extreme low-carb” all day and then “regular carb” at your carb rich meal.

This may be why depending on a particular person’s metabolism one way of eating may work and another may not. One should find a way of eating that can be a lifestyle and not a short term solution. If you find that your particular way of eating is not satisfying, that you are always hungry, and that you think you have avoid certain foods or food groups in order to lose weight and that is not something you can conceive of doing the rest of your life, then you may want to consider trying CAD/CALP yourself to see if it works for your particular metabolism.

The diet in a nutshell with meal planning examples:

A low carb breakfast such as eggs and bacon, an omelet with spinach and cheese, cream cheese and lunch meat lettuce wraps.

For lunch, a large salad with your favorite salad dressing (should be 2gm of carbs per serving or less), and your choice of diced chicken, a hamburger pattie, deli meats, etc.

For an optional snack if needed: pepperoni and cheese sticks, a cabbage roll, a boiled egg, etc.

For dinner: Start with a large salad. Divide your plate into thirds and have 1/3 protein of your choice, 1/3 of another vegetable of your choice, and 1/3 of a carb of your choice (alcoholic beverage, fruit, rice, beans, ice cream, cake, bread, etc). You do not have to weigh or count calories. Just eyeball it and keep to the thirds balance. If you want seconds go back for a second serving of each in the same 1/3 portions and not for just more carbs to keep it all balanced. Consume it all within an hour. The original CAD diet was more vague about keeping the meal balanced and a lot of people interpreted that diet as a one hour carb binge. However some people can still eat a lot more carbs during this meal and lose weight. If you are not losing weight you may want to follow the balanced plan as outlined in the CALP book for better results.

You may also drink water and unsweetened coffee or tea as often as you wish. If you want cream in your coffee, you can do so once a day and should drink it within 15 minutes. Do not drink sugar free sodas or diet drinks outside of your carb meal. Even sugar free sweeteners have been found to cause the body to release insulin.

Read the books for the exact details of their diet plans and for more information on the list of acceptable foods such as proteins, vegetables, and condiments that have been studied and considered acceptable during the low carb meals for the best success.

Make It Work

Thank you! I know this is an old post but I had to quote it so it got reposted, hopefully read by many more.