Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 14:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/150/130 Female 5ft.4in.
BF:
Progress:
Lightbulb low carb bread

Hi fellow low carbers,

Am new to the computer, but here goes. I am living in the Midwest, and just this week found out about a bread made here by a popular bakery in Manitowac called "Natural Ovens". It is described as low carb and states it has only 3 useable carbs. It is quite good, and wonder if anyone else has found it yet? Mary Gail
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 14:52

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Hi MaryGail!
I live in the South and haven't heard of the bread so I can't help you there but wanted to say welcome! It's good to have you here. Good luck low carbing!
Lori
  #108   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 15:04
Registered Member

Stats: 283/275/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

I found that bread here in Arkansas in our local Wal-Mart. I got a loaf but keep it in the freezer for when I just MUST have bread.

I can then have a cheeseburger, and I take one slice of break and cut it in half for my cheeseb burger.

Dont know about the effective carbs thing cause im still new to this. I just know it has 7 g of carbs per slice. Can anyone enlighten me on the effective carbs?
  #109   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 21:09

Stats: 213/163.5/130 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 60%

Yes, I've heard of it, never bought it though. We have a natural foods store a couple blocks away that's a lo carb super store!! Aisles (not just a part of a shelf) of a lot of lo carb goodies. Also, the owner is a baker, and they sell their own lo carb bread. Yum.
  #110   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 21:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins... kind of
Stats: 182/158/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%

Ohh.. that makes me tempted to go look for it. I wonder if we would have it here in Iowa. Where was it at in Wal-mart? with bread or with health food?
  #111   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 22:33

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

Yes! Natural Ovens of Manitowac Wisconsin! I LOVE that bread. I used to buy it back when I was a naive weight watchers freak. It was something like 2 slices for a point-- it was all the fiber that made it so acceptable on that gosh-awful diet. I have not even considered it for low carb. I should check it out again. As far as the useable carbs go, it's carbs minus fiber (or sugar alcohols but I doubt the bread has those). If the carbs listed is 7 and the fiber is four, 7-4 = 3 useable carbs. They have many varieties of wheat bread and some are better on the fiber than others. I forget what the 2 were called that I used to buy but one had an orange label and the other had a purple label (I liked the orange label best). They also made these dinner rolls that were out of this world. I wonder how those are in the carb department? Hmmmm . . . I'll be browsing the bread isle next time I shop! Thanks for the memory jog!
  #112   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 23:49

Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

Hi Mary Gail--

I live a few miles south of you...in the Madison area. I've never seen Natural Ovens on our shelves here (Sentry, Copps, Cub, Woodman's), but I'm sure gonna be looking for it!

The way they calculate the "usable carbs"/"Net Carbs"/"ECC" is to only count the carbs that are directly used by the body to prompt an insulin response. Essentially, these carbs are the "Total Carbs" minus the "Fiber" listed on the label. Fiber is great for the body, but it (mostly) isn't actually digestable, so these carbs don't count toward your daily carb consumption. (Another thing that may not count is "Sugars from Alcohol", but that's not true for everyone, and it's a whole 'nother topic.)

In any event, I would love to find a packaged bread available in our area that has good taste and low carb numbers similar to the mixes we bake up every couple of weeks. The mixes don't contain preservatives, and they go moldy (even in the fridge) in just a few days. At $4-$5/loaf, it's pretty expensive when we can only eat 6-8 slices before it goes bad. Is this bread popularly priced? Is it carried in any of your chain stores? Which ones?

I'm pretty excited...thanks for your post!
  #113   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 19:28

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

I went to Whole Foods today and they had the bread. Natural Ovens actually makes a LOW CARB BREAD now! It's called Natural ovens bakery original low carb bread. 3g net carbs per slice (11 carbs - 8 fiber). I can't wait to try it! I'm so stoked! I love their other breads so I'm sure this will be good.

Side bonus- it has 300g of Omega-3.

Last edited by sunspine17 : Fri, Aug-01-03 at 19:29.
  #114   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 23:48

Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

I found it! Well, actually I found several stores in my area that carry the Natural Ovens products, and one of them has been very good about adding products that come from suppliers they already do business with. I think this is going to be do-able.

According to the Natural Ovens Bakery web site:

http://www.naturalovens.com/

the formal name of the product is "Golden Crunch Lo Carb Bread" and it is 7 Total carbs - 4 grams Fiber = 3 Net Carbs/Slice. The product comes in 20-slice loaves, and can be safely frozen for up to 2 months. The Bakery list price is $5.40/loaf...not cheap, but similar to the list prices on the lo-carb bread mixes.

Natural Bakery also has an on-site map that gives you a zip-code lookup for the nearest store that carries their products (primariliy in the central and N.E. US, but also in FL and Mississippi. For those living outside those areas, they offer direct sales with UPS shipping.

Thanks again for your post...this is a welcome find.
  #115   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 12:35

Plan: good fat low carb
Stats: 255/170/170 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Ezekiel 4:9 bread

Has anyone tried this? and if so, where can I buy it online at a good price? I would like to use it post-workout (lifting)..

Quote:
A nutty sandwich bread that contains absolutely no flour, Ezekiel 4:9 takes its recipe from a Bible verse that reads: " Take also unto thee wheat and barley and beans and lentils and millet and spelt and put them into one vessel and make bread of it. " In 1945, Leon, a baker at Rainier Natural Bakery in the Pacific Northwest, read that verse and said " Uh, okay, " and Ezekiel 4:9 bread was born. Leon’s recipe calls for the six grains and legumes to be soaked in water and sprouted. He adds yeast and salt, and voilà: a bread that’s high in protein (similar to that in milk and eggs), low in carbohydrates (that means you, Atkins dieters), easy to digest, and full of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. No sugar, no preservatives, no shortening, no cholesterol. And it tastes good, too.

thanks in advance~
  #116   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 14:29

Plan: CALP (switched from Atkins)
Stats: 189/169/145 Female 63 inches
BF:Way/too/high
Progress: 45%

Well, I haven't exactly tried it...I saw it at my local Albertson's (grocery) and it had around 11 ECC per slice. Lower carb than most bread, for sure, but not low enough for me at this stage in my weight loss.

There are also a ton of recipes for homemade Ezekiel bread on the Internet (I just did a google search) but unfortunately most call for honey.
  #117   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 17:26

Plan: good fat low carb
Stats: 255/170/170 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

ok thanks i did a search on my webferret but didnt come up with much..

I know the carbs are higher than what one would normally eat on this WOE, however im looking to use it post-lifting when i want to get 20-30 carbs (as my body will use those carbs right away and they wont really 'count' so to speak).. this doesnt work for post-cardio

thanks for telling me.. ill look it up on google and see if i cant find the recipe!
  #118   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 10:12

Plan: Atkins, The Zone
Stats: 152/140/126 Female 65
BF:24%/22%/18%
Progress:
Cool Ezekiel

Ezekiel is GREAT-although depending on one's specific diet-it's loaded with nutrition (derived from sprouted live grain). You can make your own similar bread by sprouting wheat berries and grinding them and baking it as a loaf. kind of sticky-there's a whole subculture of "sprouters" but you may want to do an online search surrounding "live grain"-it's all about how one should only eat raw foods-a whole other forum/lifestyle i suppose. there are extremists with the group

getting back to ezekiel-I live in Boston and back when i first learned of it (2 or 3 years ago) I could only find it frozen in Whole Foods when it wasn't sold out at just under $4 a loaf. Now you can get it on the shelf at Trader Joes (much cheaper under 3) I recommend that you keep it frozen as it doens't have the same amount of preservatives in it. Many health stores with freezers are carrying it now but they get sold out very quickly

The raisin bread is phenominal esp. with peanut butter-I'm a runner and i would toast a piece and spread 1/2 tbls over it prior to a solid run-great energy. The wheat is a bit dry but great witha fried egg or cream cheese. If you are looking for a somewhat low carb bread that packs a ton of nutrition then stay with Ezekiel as long as you can fit it into your plan.
best of luck
tess
  #119   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 22:20

Stats: 255/222/195 Male 72"
BF:
Progress:
Default Simple Treats Bakery

I have been using Simple Treats bagels since day one, and they have been a life saver. I've used them for breakfast sandwiches, hamburgers, and pizza (a la french bread pizza). They are wonderful. They are labeled as having 2g of carbs, although the "Hidden Carbs Calculator" somehow translates it into 13g. I guess that I don't understand the logic of the calculator. In any case, I used them regularly throughout the Atkins induction phase & lost 30 pounds in a month, so they can't be too bad! For those interested, here are the details from the label:

Water Bagel

Ingredients: Unbleached Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast

Net Wt. (each) 84g
Serving size - 1 bagel

Amount per serving
Calories: 70
Calories from fat: 4

Total Fat: 0g
Sat Fat: 0g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 10mg
Total Carbs: 2g
Fiber: <1g
Sugar: 1g
Protein: 2g

Reg. PA Dept. Agri

Simple Treat Bakery
4734 Liberty Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15224
412-681-0303
  #120   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 19:26
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 192/154.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%
Default Low carb bread?

I bought some nature made whole wheat bread that has 7 carbs per slice and no sugar. Anyone tried this? Anyone have any input about this bread? I was really wanting some bread and went to the health food store, miles and miles from home and bought two loaves of Atkins bread, thinking it was white bread. I realized way down the road that it was rye bread. YUCK. So, in despiration, I stopped at the grocery store and found the nature made. Just wondering if anyone has tried it and did it stall you or cause any problems?
Thanks in advance for your help!