Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 08:28

Plan: Vegetarian - tried many
Stats: 130/130/115 Female 5' 3"
BF:24.72
Progress: 0%
Unhappy measurements: lost [I]and[/I] gained?!

i know that the scales aren't always the best way to go when dieting, so this time I decided to take measurements. I have been really happy overall with how things are turning out. I've lost an inch from my waist (measureing at the smallest pt), and inch from my hips (measuring at the largest pt) and half an inch from my legs (and half an inch from my bust, but I don't really mind that). The thing I don't like is that I've gained an inch around my belly (measuring from my belly button). Any ideas, suggestions, reasons anything?! This is not an area I was hoping to develope...

(to see in more detail you can go to my fitday website http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...?Owner=iekeikei
)

AHHHHH, I just went to healthstatus.com to measure my body fat, and now i'm even more confused. It displays two different estimations, one as developed using the navy's method the other by YMCA. I scored 25.59% on the U.S. navy body fat algorithm then a whopping 34.91% according to the YMCA. I have never experienced such discrepincies with this website... They are normally withing like 2-3 % of each other, this is more like 10%!!!

Last edited by iekeikei : Mon, May-31-04 at 08:35.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 16:11
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I remember an article a long time ago about how we lose weight. It said something like when we gain fat, we gain in our abdomen first. After a set time the fat recirculates and moves to more permanint places such as hips. When we lose weight it is in the opposite direction, moving to the belly first then being flushed.

Another possibility is that something in your diet is causing some bloating. If you suffer from candidia or a food sensativity, you could just be bloated.

Are you also sure you measured in the exact same way each time? I had the heardest problem with measuring my waist because if the tape was just slightly higher or lower in the back, I would get a different measurement.

For body fat checking I love www.mybodycomp.com it tells you also how your fat is distributed, takes in more measurements and I think is more accurate.