Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 19:00
Beach Bum

Plan: da Beach looking for Sun
Stats: 250/229.5/163 Female 5ft 5in
BF:not/ahot/clue
Progress: 24%
Question Pot Luck Lunch

On Tuesday I go into hospital and have one of my knees replaced .
My wonderful co-workers have organized a pot luck lunch for Thursday . Normally I count and weigh everything so I know completly what I have eaten and what the relative counts were. Obviously at a pot luck lunch I can't do that. I have great co-workers and they are planning it around what I can and can't have and asked for my help with the menu and made sure it's allowed (although I have said I can't possibly eat everything so please don't be scared to bring some things I can't have). So my question is how do you "count" something like this? I was planning to eat in moderation from the "allowed" foods and just skip counting for the day. BTW I am not on induction and I am sitting at about 25-30carbs a day.

I am going to have to "let go" a little as I am not convinced the hospital will be able to keep me on the plan. Although prior to the WOL I was borderline diabetic and I let the admitting staff that a conventional diet will more than likely jump start the diabetes and I don't want that. Anyway any thoughts on what would you do?

Thanks,

Stephanie

Last edited by bigted : Tue, May-18-04 at 19:40. Reason: adding an icon
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 19:42
I'm Losin' It

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190.5/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:ha/ha/18%
Progress: 0%

It sounds like your friends really care about you . The potluck thing is great because you can pick and choose. As far as amounts, I just imagine a set of measureing cups and the amount of food it would take to fill the different sizes. You should be able to identify the main ingredients, and unless there are a lot of hidden carbs, don't worry about cals and fat.

The hospital stay could be tricky. Someone posted a few weeks ago that their "diabetic diet" while in the hospital was high in carbs. Is it possible to get a copy of menus b4 you get there to give you a chance to decide if you want "diabetic", or "regular" and choose the best for you from that. My experience with hospitals is that you have some control on food choices. Good luck.