Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 21:03

Plan: checking out Atkins plan
Stats: 140/128/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default totally confused

Now I am totally confused. I am into reading the* New Diet Revolution* and I thought that with induction you lost 10% of your weight..it you weigh 200lbs you lose 20 lbs. Now I hear you should lose 10% of the total amount that you want to lose. In other words..if I want to lose 20 lbs ..after 2 wks of induction I will only lose 2 lbs? can someone explain this to me..
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 21:13

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 18%

I dont hink thats what induction is for.. induction is to get your body to live off fat instead of sugar/insulin. You should do induction for minimum of 2 weeks. I know of people that do induction for 6 months or more. I am on my 5th week of induction and I have lost ~20lb, and I think I'll stick with it until I am at 50% of my goal...
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 21:18

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

It's really on average 10% of what you need to lose. This is what we generally see most people lose although some will lose more and some will lose less.
How quickly you lose can also be influenced by a whole host of other things such as age, gender, past dieting history, medications and activity level.
For someone who started out at 200 lbs and wanted to get down to say 180, to lose the entire amount in 2 weeks would be very unusual.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 21:21
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Hello

Well I guess the way to explain it is that you will not lose as much weight during induction as someone who is much more overweight...but it will still be 10%.

if someone is 200 pounds and wants to get to 150 they can epect to lose 5 pounds or possibly more

I weighted 193 I set a first goal of 140 I lost 9 pounds during induction...10% would have been like 5.3 so the numbers rules doesn't always work

But if you have less to lose just like as you get closer to your body's ideal weight you just lose slower...but since you have less to lose be happy for that at least
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 21:33

Plan: checking out Atkins plan
Stats: 140/128/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 60%

OK..I think I get it. I didn't really do *induction* but have been low carbing for about 3 wks..I've lost about 5 lbs..it varies ..5/4/6
depending on the time of day ..so maybe I don't need to do induction, just low carb it? I have 15 more lbs to go...don't want it to take forever to lose tho... and, I do understand it's a way of life