Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 10:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/126/~115 Female 63 & 1/4 inches
BF:22%/20%
Progress:
Default Question: Calling all Lacto-Ovo Veggies!!!

Hey everyone.... I am new to this, and have a bit of a problem. I have been a lacto-ovo vegetarian off and on for seven years, but have been strict about it the last four. Yes, I know all the horror stories about dairy and poultry farms... it's just that I have issues with eating something that's had a heart-beat, and I can never bring myself to do it.
There is a problem, though. For the last week or so, I have really been abusing the dairy to the tune of 4-8 oz. of cheese per day. I have trouble meeting my calorie needs... I need at least 1100 to 1200 in order to keep up the ol' energy, and some people are saying I should eat a bit more. Now, here is the issue.
I have not been subtracting the fiber from my carb intake, and my staples are salads w/ lc dressing, eggs, some veggies, and LOTS of cheese. If I start subtacting the fiber from things like Boca burgers and nuts, is that going to make a huge difference in my weight loss? Keep in mind that I am only eating 20-24 TOTAL carbs per day, as I have cut out the Atkins bars, things with 'hidden carbs', and such.
Also, anyone know some high calorie, VERY LOW OVERALL-CARB vegetarian foods besides the eggs, cheese, and salad-stuff? You would be SUCH an avatar on my path!
Thanks so much!

P.S. About 1/2 my cheese-binges come at midnight and because I am so darned HUNGRY at the end of the day... that was why I asked about upping the calories and net carbs, so I can discontinue that evil, evil destructive habit. Thanx again!

-Emily

Last edited by watersidhe : Wed, Oct-15-03 at 10:24.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 12:20

Plan: ??
Stats: 135/???/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

I'm not doing Atkins anymore, so I'm not strict on carbs, but I do avoid processed and super starchy things. I'm also not really vegetarian anymore, though I was for 7 years. I never cook meat though and most days don't eat any meat. I see you have discovered boca burgers...those are a staple in my diet! If you have a whole foods market you should check out their frozen soy food aisle...I found some amazing veggie meatballs that are very high in protein and only 1 net carb per serving (Nate's brand I think). They also have plenty of other soy yummies. If you are willing to up your carbs a bit you can add 1/2 cup of cottage cheese. I also enoy my protein shakes blended up w/a handful of frozen berries (only add a couple carbs). This can be done not eating meat but since you eat eggs you should be fine...it just takes a bit of creativity.

Also, in regards to your question about subtracting the fiber, I would. As I said, I'm eating way more carbs now (around 80 net/day) and I'm losing better than on 20 grams/day...we're all different. BUt I'd imagine extra carbs from fiber won't slow you down a bit.

--Cindy
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 16:39
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I have been a lacto-ovo veggie for about 8 years or so. I eat a lot of Morningstar Farms stuff. Their sausage patties are low in carbs. The tomato basil pizza burger isn't too bad. Also Worthington Foods (who I believe own Morningstar Farms) have some great fake chicken stuff that are low carb. I put cheese on almost everything to get my fat intake up. I also sometimes add olive oil to my fresh spinach. That is pure fat, high calorie and no carbs.

You should subtract fiber-that will allow you to up your total carb intake a bit and give you some variety.

Also, when I need to up my calories I eat some nuts. Pecans and almonds are high in fat and low in carbs.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 21:04

Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

hello!

As the other said, I would also subtract the fiber. I don't see fiber as one of those 'tricky' devils like sugar alcohol, I have never slowed down because of fiber intake.

one thing that I do make that is low in carbs (but it does have dairy) is the tofu mac and cheese in the recipe section of this forum. It is very tasty, even my non vegetarian non low carb hubby likes it!

Another two things I discovered that are japanese are fried bean curd (which as Karen suggested is delicious stuffed with mayo, cucumber, and avacado or mustard and cheese) and sheratake noodles. Both of those items are practically zero carb.

another really low carb item we make is spanakopita (but I eat just the filling and if there are no carb eaters in your house I bet you could make it wihtout the phyllo dough.

last meal is where we take poblano peppers and roast them, peel off the skin and stuff them with scrambled eggs and veggie bacon (cheese optional) pretty tasty got it from a mexican recipe site

best wishes! and I'd love to know if you have any good dishes too!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 14:21
Registered Member

Plan: combo of different plans
Stats: 208/199/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:

I really wouldn't worry too much about dairy.

The most recent research on dairy vindicates it. Dairy products burn fat and help with insulin resistance. In fact I have on order, from amazon.com a book called the Calcium Key by Michael Zemel, the scientist who did all the calcium research, and discovered quite by accident, that those who eat the most dairy lose the most weight. For example, he was doing a study on hypertension and gave a group of overweight men a pint of yogurt to eat a day. Not only was their blood pressure lowered, but they lost 12 pounds in a year, without going on a diet or making any other changes in their eating habits. Zemel was just looking at lowered blood pressure; the weight loss was a nice unexpected extra. Studies like these are in his new book which will be out in November. I have it on pre-order and can't wait to get it.

But if you honestly feel you're eating too much dairy, just consciously cut back a bit and fill up more on vegetarian meat products. I love Morningstar Farms Grillers, they taste exactly like regular hamburgers and you can do a lot with them, getting creative and using them like ground meat in recipes.

Oh, one more interesting thing, for those who still believe the low-fat mantra. Although Zemel doesn't go against the grain much and still recommends low fat dairy products, he says that even full fat dairy products promote fat loss and even those who don't lose weight still experience a change in body composition when eating a lot of dairy - even full fat dairy - like less fat and more muscle.

I say go ahead and enjoy the cheese! I do!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 16:18
Registered Member

Progress:

Thank you Cindy, Paleoanth, and etoiles! I am so helpless in the kitchen.... this is much appreciated.

I have also read the info on how dairy helps you fight fat, but I was losing a bit better on induction... when I didn't binge on it at night, either... I guess I just have to do a little more grocery shopping.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-03, 11:30
Slothy Superhero

We all lose better in induction. Going into OWL will slow your weight loss down. Totally normal.

Personally, if it doesn't go into the microwave or the toaster oven, I ain't fixing it. I am too lazy to cook for one person.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 20:19
Registered Member

Progress:

Hey, Cindy! I just wanted you to know that I took your advice and just started subtracting the fiber that very day... it totally broke my stall, and I am back to losing both pounds and inches. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 20:21

Plan: ??
Stats: 135/???/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hooray!! That's awesome news! I hope you continue the trend.

--Cindy
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 16:43

Plan: None
Stats: 169/157/140 Female 5 ft 8.5 inches
BF:
Progress:

hello all vegetarians I am new here I have been on my own low carb plan, just tring to eat the right things. Have lost 12lbs so far. I am not really sure what all veggies are good to eat and which are not same with fruit. Can anyone help me. I also bought some whole wheat bread when I got home I noticed that the carb count was 40g with 5g fiber is that ok to eat?
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 19:28
Slothy Superhero

Pretty much anything green is good and squash. You want to avoid-potatoes, carrots, onions and corn.

I wouldn't eat that bread if I were you-sounds pretty high carb. Nature's Own has a low carb bread at 5 net grams a slice or their whole wheat has 7 net grams a slice.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 11:07

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the info I gave the bread away I knew about not eating carrots and corn but I thought onions were OK. I have been putting them in my stir frys How about onion seasoning is that out as well? How about garlic I use alot of that too. So many little things I have never even considered like ketchup I was using that too. I'm amazed I have lost anything, but I have so that's all good. I will start paying more attention to the small details.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 11:11
Slothy Superhero

I think most herbs and spices are OK. Onions are kind of high in carbs-but I think in limited amounts they are OK in OWL.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 12:03

BF:
Progress:

Thanks