Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#301   ^
Old Wed, May-27-09, 17:10

Plan: Optimal diet/One free day
Stats: 300/175/165 Male 5ft9in
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by soule72
Wow bananas freaks me out I think I would go for the avacado. lol I eat olives as well and I cook everything in butter eggs, cabbage that is a huge way besides dairy to get my fat in. I practically stopped using olive oil and just use butter. Sorry I forgot to mention those But like i said I track everything. I also dont eat pork for religious reasons but I love bacon so I eat turkey bacon but not as much fat. I cook it in butter too. I dont eat lean meats usually unless I have a chicken breast But I eat chicken thighs, roast with lots of fat egg yokes mainly cooked in butter. Steaks all in proportion to Dr K usually between 50-60 grams. I guess I am not sure if Im not losing does dr K say to raise or lower fat I have read both. I would like to try these before cutting out the dairy.

I bought potatoes but am scared to eat them. I am trying to get some beeef fat to make tallow but have not found any yet.

I absolutely love cabbage fried in butter.1 whole bag Dole cabbage slaw mix is 15gms carbs.That cooked in butter with sliced fatty rib eye is an amazing meal.
Sponsored Links
  #302   ^
Old Wed, May-27-09, 17:36

Plan: semi-low carb
Stats: 277/200/177 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Hi Wolfstrike, looks like we share the same breakfast.

Soule, I would suggest using beef in place of where I use pork. Replace the chicken with more beef. Replace the dairy with beef, except keep butter. Cabbage is goitrogenic (look it up in Wikipedia) so I would eliminate the cabbage. Check out goitrogenic, eliminate those foods. Avocado and coconut oil enhance your thryoid, instead of shutting it down. Try slow cooking chuck roast, you get a lot of good meat, cooked at very low temperature, for a very low price. So I would suggest beef three times a day, a potato at breakfast, an avocado at lunch, and a glass of wine in the evening. You do not have to be afraid of a potato or a banana, they will improve your health.
  #303   ^
Old Wed, May-27-09, 17:43

Plan: General Low Carb/ Optimal
Stats: 235/223/180 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 22%

I dont drink alcohol for religious reasons but thanks. I do make a roast often but I have a family of 5 to feed so it doesnt last long. I really can't eat meat like that 3 times a day. Sorry I just cant. But I can eat eggs yokes usually in the am then I eat liver or chicken or beef for lunch or turkey bacon and for dinner a meat. It sounds as though you are suggesting something other than Dr K even though this is a Dr K thread which is ok with me but a little confusing. You might just want to make it clear if your suggestions are Dr K or something else. I was using coconut oil for 4 months with no change in weight up or down. Sp are you suggesting I increase my protein? I was eating cabbage all the time but got tired of it LOL I love it cooked in butter too. But now I dont have it much like 1 time per month if even that. Wouldnt eggs be just as good as beef?
  #304   ^
Old Wed, May-27-09, 18:35

BF:

Eggs are very good for you, I eat eggs every day. I think beef is overall better for you than chicken. Dr K allows potatoes. I think you can hit 1-1-.5 ratios with what I am suggesting. You do not have to drink alcohol, you can have a simple salad instead. I was suggesting two eggs in the morning, with some beef. But you could for example eat three eggs instead. You have to select foods you enjoy eating. I think what I am suggesting is consistent with Dr K, but is also is very close to being Paleo.
  #305   ^
Old Wed, May-27-09, 19:12

Plan: Optimal diet/One free day
Stats: 300/175/165 Male 5ft9in
BF:
Progress: 93%

After scouring the internet Ive found that Dr.K advises that if weightloss is stagnant to save all the carbs and eat alone in one meal.Has anyone here tried this?

Ive done this in past and found it enhances fatloss and really supresses appetite.Save the carbs for right before bed.
  #306   ^
Old Wed, May-27-09, 19:31

Plan: Atkins 01/11/10
Stats: 355/310/147 Female 5'-9"
BF:goin' down

wolfstrike,
When you say you ate all the carbs alone in the evening, do you mean you did not combine the carbs with fat/protein? Did this enhance your sleep as well?
  #307   ^
Old Wed, May-27-09, 20:12

BF:

I have read this as well about the carbs. I was just thinking it wouldn't make much of a difference for me because I eat less carbs anyway under 20 since more than that were making me feel bad. I guess I could try it. I wonder why this would help or make a difference. Any ideas. Especially before bed I would have thought would be bad.
  #308   ^
Old Wed, May-27-09, 20:13

BF:

About the 1:1 ratio why do you do this? Did you try the way dr K says and it didnt work?
  #309   ^
Old Thu, May-28-09, 02:12

BF:

Soule,

I have not tried a 2:1 ratio yet, but is sounds like you have. I was just throwing out some ideas as you say you have stalled. When I get to maintenance, I will try a higher fat to protein ratio. I used to eat lean meat, and am doing better with more saturated fat in the diet. My dry skin is gone, the bottoms of my feet used to be awful.

The case against combining carbs and cheap vegetable oils continues:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/barry...p_b_208197.html
  #310   ^
Old Thu, May-28-09, 04:45

BF:

Wolkfstrike,

Eating the carbs before bed would be in agreement with Potatoes not Prozac. I will try grouping carbs since this worked for you.
  #311   ^
Old Thu, May-28-09, 09:10

BF:

I am gonna try that as well to see if it makes a difference. The reason I am asking about the fat ratio is for example merpeg is doing a 1:3 ration and losing very well. So I am just trying to figure out if I should go up or down in my fat. I do agree fatty meat is better but that is usually what I eat its once in awhile I eat chicken and when I do it is accompanied by plenty of fat. I will try carbs at night first then chose up or down on fat then the other. If this doesnt work maybe cutting out dairy or most dairy
  #312   ^
Old Thu, May-28-09, 11:03

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Any ideas.

I'm sorry. It sounds like you are doing everything right. I know it can be frustrating. I *have* lost on the JK plan, but not as much as I had hoped to - and every time the plan goes a little bit off (meaning I still keep carbs low, but that protein goes up and fat goes down - which is usually the case if I am eating out) I *gain* back again.

Like this past holiday weekend where I went out to eat several meals - still very strict low carb with carbs about 30g or less each day - but more protein and less fat than I usually eat, and I gained five pounds in two days - and so far have only lost one since getting back on track.

For me having more fat and more calories seems to do best for weight loss. I remember Pangolina saying in one of the threads that JK said it can take *months* for the metabolism to heal when you first start on his plan, so weight loss might not happen right away. I know this is hard to imagine as of course we ALL want it to happen RIGHT AWAY.

Remember that JK puts *all* his patients at his clinic on a 3000-calorie-a-day diet! This plan is not supposed to be calorie restricted. My son follows Matt Stone's '180 degree health' plan which is virtually identical to JK's, so some of the comments from his e-book may apply, as I feel they are the same as JK's attitude. Among some of the comments(which seem to match JK's, based on all the posts from Pangolina):

This program is one built upon the core understanding of the metabolic changes causing proper weight regulation to short circuit. From there, the guidelines you follow are designed to repair the fundamental flaws.. It is taking the human metabolism, understanding it, and working with it to bring harmony back into place. Believe it or not, the longer you follow the plan, the harder it will get to gain weight, and the easier it will be to lose it, because the cause of unnecessary fat accumulation is addressed and improved upon.

This ain’t no dime a dozen celebrity fad diet, so don’t treat it like one. Use it, starting today, to slowly and steadily move in a direction of better health and a better version of you. For those who haven’t already damaged themselves beyond repair, this is the passport to such a place – a place free of unstable emotions, cravings, addictions, fat accumulation, and other such symptoms of a person in peril. Try it first, for an extended period of time, then decide what you think of it. Whatever you do, don’t ever starve yourself again. Food is your friend.

So, like JK, his program is based on *healing* the metabolism, not fighting it. He also stresses:

And don’t get caught up on the inclusion or exclusion of certain foods. All foods that humans have cherished and thrived upon for centuries and millennia, in their unadulterated state, are acceptable, healthy foods...Instead, we’ll look into how certain foods behave in the body, choosing some while excluding or minimizing others.

I know Pangolina kept stressing this also, not to start "tweaking" with eliminating this food and that food until and unless you had given it a good few months - clearly not the case if you avoid certain foods for health issues (like gluten for me) or religious reasons (like pork for you), but applies to all other "optimal" foods.

He warns:
If eating normal amounts of food with a normal amount of physical activity makes you fat, then you have a damaged metabolism and need to heal. Creating a calorie deficit damages the metabolism further. It makes your disorder worse, not better.The key; however, as many low carb enthusiasts fail to note, is that, for optimal function, the body still requires a great deal of energy. Instead they tout the amazing ability to not be hungry on 1,500 calories a day or whatever. Since many people are deluded into thinking that it requires eating a low calorie diet to lose weight, the high protein, low fat variety of the low carb diet becomes the typical version followed. That of course is fueled by the collective fat phobia. Even on a diet in which fat intake is encouraged, many people remain reluctant. Contrary to common belief, going really high in protein while keeping fat at moderate levels pales in comparison to what can be achieved on a high fat, moderate protein version.

Again, I think this is right in line with JK's thinking, also that of Barry Groves. I know it does *not* agree with with Matt proposes, . And based on his stats Matt has certainly had wonderful success with his plan. But we are not all the same, and we all have different levels of metabolism damage. I think my own, sadly, is pretty badly damaged. Yours may be too based on how difficult it is to lose.

And more and more my reading leads me to believe that *healing my metabolism* is far more important that trying to lose weight, and that if my metabolism heals then the weight loss will follow. And also from my reading (Taubes, JK threads and boards, Barry Groves, 180 degree health, and others) I truly feel that *higher fat, higher calorie* is the way to heal.

So far I've lost 8.5 pounds since April 11 when I began the OD, with a few small setbacks - and that after being stalled for a while at a higher weight. So far my losses have all come after days when I've eaten higher cal (typically upwards of 3000 calories ago, as recommended by JK, or even more) and higher fat - and my gains have come when I cut calories, up protein, cut fat.

So does this help YOU? Maybe not, but I just wanted to encourage you with the idea that maybe you are NOT doing anything wrong, just still in healing mode, and need to give it time. In one of the threads I recall Pangolina saying that JK said in some cases it could take *months* on the Optimal plan to achieve a level of healing that allowing for weight loss. In the meantime I'm trying not to do too much tweaking or food eliminating, and want to see what will happen as time goes on.

Last edited by Merpig : Thu, May-28-09 at 12:41.
  #313   ^
Old Thu, May-28-09, 13:00

BF:

That is very helpful I did not know that he put the people in his clinic on a 3000 calories, I honestly don't know if I can eat that much and not feel too full. I know pangolia said to not eat till your stuffed however if I ate more fat I could probably up the calories without eating a lot more food like using more butter. I did not know that it could take months Low carb usually works so quickly at least starts that way I was expecting that from OD as well. I did stop gaining and seem to be just maintaining which is what I was on regular low carb so know harm done as long as I dont gain any more. I will do this for a little longer and see what happens. Thank you. If you think of anything else that would be helpful I would love to hear it. I really want to try this and not give up but I have so little info that I was worried I was doing it all wrong and didnt want to waist time.
  #314   ^
Old Thu, May-28-09, 13:02

BF:

Oh Merpig I also wanted to ask you if you had that nutrition info on that pate recipe from nourishing traditions? If not I will put it into My plate but dint want to reinvent the wheel.LOL
  #315   ^
Old Thu, May-28-09, 13:26

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Oh Merpig I also wanted to ask you if you had that nutrition info on that pate recipe from nourishing traditions? If not I will put it into My plate but dint want to reinvent the wheel.LOL

I put it into Lifeform, which is what I use for tracking data. I do have a digital scale so I said a serving was 35g and that there were 25 servings per recipe. I'm sorry though that I don't know how big, off-hand-35g is, probably a couple TBSP. I also included the wine which the recipe calls for, and I know you said you don't drink wine for religious reasons, so if you subbed broth or something that would change the info slightly. But for the above what Lifeform gave me was:

Serving Size: 35.1g
Calories: 60
Calories from fat: 39
Total Fat: 4.4g
Sat Fat: 2g
Cholesterol: 85mg
Sodium: 85mg
Total Carb: 0g
Dietary Fiber: 0g
Sugars: 0g
Protein: 3g
Alcohol: 0g
Vitamin A: 42%
Vitamin C: 4%
Calcium: 0%
Iron: 6%

If I take the recipe and just ask Lifeform to give me stats for the entire recipe (as opposed to a "serving") it gives me:

Serving Size: 877g
Calories: 1490
Calories from fat: 985
Total Fat: 109.4g
Sat Fat: 62g
Cholesterol: 2132mg
Sodium: 2132mg
Total Carb: 24g
Dietary Fiber: 4g
Sugars: 8g
Protein: 80g
Alcohol: 14g
Vitamin A: 1051%
Vitamin C: 122%
Calcium: 16%
Iron: 166%

That gives you an idea of some of the values that were "hidden" because the original serving size was so small, just like the manufacturers who make their serving sizes small enough to be able to list ZERO for certain macronutrients.