Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 21:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: ???/???/160
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy PCOS...and Cushing's Syndrome?

Hi all!

About 4 years ago I was offically diagnosed with PCOS--via ultrasound-- (although I have suffered symptoms since puberty) and was put on all the standand meds (the pill, Glucophage) with really no improvement. I have since taken myself off them (my dr. knows this).

Recently, I've been reading up on Cushing's Syndrome--a disorder where too much of the hormone Cortisol is in the body on a continual basis-- which has very similar symptoms to PCOS. I really wouldn't have thought much of it if I didn't have one of the more marked symptoms of Cushing's. The symptom is a large hump (referred to as a "buffalo hump") on the upper back, right below the neck. It is very unattractive and is often a source of embarrasment for me. The dr. said it was just fat and should go away when I loose more weight, but I'm pretty worried anyway. Cushing's Syndrome is pretty nasty and can involve tumors on the pituatary or adreanal glands and can actually cause death if not treated .
My question is do any of you other ladies have problems with a hump like this on your back and am I just being paranoid.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 10:38

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 184/149/125 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 59%

I don't think you're being paranoid at all, especially when you have one of the major symptoms. I have PCOS and don't have a hump on my back. I know quite a few people who get tested for PCOS also get tested for Cushing's, so I'd definitely ask your doctor to perform some tests.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 02:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 224/209/130
BF:
Progress:
Arrow Some Specific Actions You Can Take

I have similar health concerns and after getting some bloodwork back showing low adrenal output, I too had some questions about the possibility of Cushing's.

Here are some specific things you can do:

1. general bloodwork will show the overall adrenal output, if it is high or low

2. a specific lab test called an "adrenal stress index" (ASI) can be performed to determine which part of the adrenal glands is putting out too much/too little hormone--the medulla and the cortex produce different hormones, so it's important to know where exactly the balance is off. The ASI is not a standard test, so you may have to have it sent off to a special lab. The out-of-pocket lab fee for the ASI is about $100.

3. If you would like to take some general measures to support adrenal health, without having to shell out money for special tests, there are two important herbs for the adrenals: siberian ginseng (powder form or tincture) and deglycerinized licorice, either capsule form or solid extract (a gooey mess you can mix into hot water or eat from the spoon which, if you like black licorice, tastes fine).

Also, caffeine and sugar are big no-nos for people with adrenal exhaustion or other adrenal concerns. Low carbing is good for folks with pcos, by stimulating ovulation through regulation of insulin release, but it is also good for the adrenals, which would really enjoy relaxing once in a while, rather than constantly being pushed to their limits.

Stress reduction, obviously, is another big component. If you have a tendency to worry a lot or let things upset you easily, chances are, your adrenals are putting in a lot of overtime.

No, I am not a doctor, just a nerdy lady with health concerns...but be that as it may, I hope that these ideas may be of help to you.

Best wishes to you as you search for answers.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 00:04

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 201/186/135
BF:
Progress: 23%

I don't have the hump you mention or Cushionings...however I had a bit of a scare about it last year when I had a kidney stone...before it was determined what was wrong my blood work came back with bizarre cortisol readings and my doctor thought cushings...since then we now know that my body was just under major stress from the kidney stone.

I would seriously look into Schwarzbein II if I were you. It really discusses the major and minor hormone issues in addition to adrenal fatigue. It is also very very helpful for those of us with PCOS. Before you get stressed with reading the second book, try the first which is very basic and an extremely quick read. You might check wcollier's journal as well on information on adrenal fatigue...she is very up on the information and is working through many of the issues associated with it.

The most important thing I have learned in trying to get a diagnosis for my PCOS is persistence...if you have a health concern...investigate, search out any possible answer and make your care givers listen. You have your best interests in mind and you know your body best.

Perhaps a naturopathic or homeopathic doctor might be more sympathetic and more likely to listen to your concerns. They also have different readings for determing abnormalities in readings for some issues...they seem to base information on a broader spectrum and consider the individial sitting in front of them more than western doctors who are "just the facts" and "by the book" for the most part.

Good luck!