Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-07, 12:35
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Please do, Nancy, bc I'd love some company!

So far, I seem to be able to include raspberries, cabbage, blackberries and blueberries as native British plant food. I imagine mushrooms also (the European ones) since varieties would spring up throughout forests. I'm not finding much native vegetation in Britain. Hazelnuts seem ok.

Questionable: carrots (wild carrot remains found in ancient Glastonbury), cress, fava beans, brussels sprouts, kohlrabi, rutabaga, chard, apples, currants, cherries.

I suppose I can survive a week on just meat, eggs and berries, with a bit of cabbage and hazelnut here and there!
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-07, 13:05
Slightly foxed

Plan: Take over the world,Pinky
Stats: 284/275/224 Male 5'7"
BF:No, I'm straight
Progress: 15%

Waywardsis, some of my difficulties have let up and I've scheduled next week for this. So I'll be joining you on essentially the same diet.

I think everything on your questionable list is OK, except fava beans. I'm looking forward to my apples (in moderation), berries and nuts. And I'm not going to be overly-fussy about the variety of nuts. Walnuts and hazenuts will probably predominate. And I'm not too concerned about the type of berries either.

If it is any use to you, seaweed is in there.

If you ancestry is primarily British, then anything natively African, Middle Eastern or European would have been in your ancestors' diet during their migrations out of Africa.

I will, however, be eating some starchy roots/tubers. There is absolutely no doubt that uncultivated (less sugary) varieties were a significant part of pre-neolithic diets.

Coffee and alcohol are going to be the real problems for me.

A list of native British trees can be found here http://www.british-trees.com/guide/home.htm

Last edited by LondonIan : Fri, Jun-15-07 at 13:18.
  #108   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-07, 15:47
Dazilous

BF:

Gawd bless LondonIan.

My mum's English, my Dad's side predominantly Irish so yup, I'm Brit. This helps tremendously...thank you! I'm only being this finicky (food origin-wise)for the week. It's pretty interesting though. There really wouldn't have been all that much plant food around back then, at least in UK.

Tea is going to be my biggie!

Haven't eaten yet today, will be grilling up a large steak and some mushrooms.
  #109   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-07, 08:25
Dazilous

BF:

So went to my Dad's for father's Day yesterday...silly me should have realized that and not started until today I was good, but certainly not strict! Not good for an experiment.

So I am restarting as of today...and I am allowing myself one cup of tea in the morning. At least today I am...got a slight wine hangover. Tea necessary.
  #110   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-07, 13:42
Slightly foxed

I'm intending to start tomorrow. Gawd, why did I say I would do this?

I do need to clean up my act. I've been eating wheat the last three weeks and now, of course, I'm in arthritic agony. Knees so hot I could poach an egg on them and feeling like I've got flu.

Last edited by LondonIan : Sun, Jun-17-07 at 13:54.
  #111   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-07, 17:26

Plan: post-Pregnancy LC
Stats: 287/283.6/180 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 3%

I'll be starting pure as soon as I get home, which will probably be Sunday.

M
  #112   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-07, 20:59
Dazilous

BF:

Ian, Moon, I'm with you!

Today I kept to it, but not to the strict euro thing bc I have all this guacamole to eat up! So I may let up on that as well and have avocado...or the guac, anyway. It's homemade and paleo.

So today I ate: baby carrots, celery, guacamole, strawberries, romaine lettice, fennel fronds, dressing made with maple syrup, acv (is vinegar paleo? I mean...if you just left apples to ferment you'd eventually get vinegar, no?), mustard (is mustard paleo?), and a bison T-bone.
  #113   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 01:39
Slightly foxed

Damn, I was half way through my morning coffee when I saw this and remembered I was starting today. Ah, well. Not such a shock to the system then.

I've stocked up on herbal teas.
  #114   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 06:21

Plan: Paleolithic
Stats: 243/179/179 Male 5-11
BF:
Progress: 100%

Black Coffee has to be my most often used non-Paleo foods.
Probabily the only one, but it definitely counts as Non-Paleo.
But, with two little kids at home, I have found that my work likes it when I stay awake also.

I once remember dreaming about having 8 hours sleep or more.
  #115   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 09:57
Dazilous

BF:

I'm on my second cup of blueberry tea this morning - so far, so good. But I will return to my proper cuppa once the week is over...may cut down some though. May not. We'll see...I love my tea.
  #116   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 10:32

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 137/135/130 Female 5' 6"
BF:Don't know
Progress: 29%

Reporting in on my pure Paleo week: tomorrow is the end of my 7 day experiment and I'm doing very well - except yesterday - BBQ at the neighbours. Ate chicken with sticky sweet sauce on it, brocolli salad with some sort of creamy dressing - also had a puff pastry with strawberries and yogurt and a few (too many!!) glasses of red wine - but that's been my only lapse so far.

Mostly I've been eating beef, chicken, pork chops with very little greens like romaine, endive, kale, and collards. For sweets I've had almost every night some mixed berries with coconut milk on top. I have had coffee every morning, mint tea the rest of the day, with water of course. I have been feeling exceptionally well and have lost some water weight. This has worked out so well that I will be continuing on for the forseeable future. My next challenge won't be until August 12 with a big birthday party coming up, then end of August a vacation trip to Scotsdale - that will be a challenge all right as my DD spoils me by taking me to fancy restaurants - I'll have to be on guard...good luck to you who are starting this week!!!
  #117   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 15:06
Slightly foxed

I guess my first day was OK. No different that a clean induction really. Lunch was roast pork, dinner was roast chicken with a bag of mixed seeds for later. Lots of teas and waters.

It was a hot day and a fraught one and I could have murdered a cool pint, but I had a turn around the park instead. Not wholly the same.

I've slow roasted a beef brisket for tomorrow. It claims to be 'traditionally farmed' which probably means they called it Daisy in the factory.
  #118   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 17:58
Dazilous

BF:

Not too different for me either, except no sweeteners or baked nut flour things and such. I didn't die with no "real" tea!

Brekkie (lunch, really): 2 eggs, 1 yolk scrambled with spiced ground beef. Topped with green salsa, guacamole. Strawberries. Cod liver oil.

Dinner: steak w/ homemade spice rub, jerusalem artichokes grated and cooked in ghee with green onion and baby garlic, mixed veg (cauli, baby squashes, crimini mushrooms) done "roasty" in ghee and olive oil, apples and strawberries pan-softened in ghee with cinnamon and maple syrup (OMG).

Pretty much everything but this steak and the spices came from farmers markets which is why, as you can see, I've given up the euro veg thing...too many yummy NA veggies in season!

Ghee is not paleo, but I am out of lard and other fats *blush* Will rectify that tomorrow.
  #119   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 07:30

Plan: I eat all of the eggs. :)
Stats: 600/400/160 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I just got through reading this thread and would love to join you folks.
I've been eating paleo for the past couple of days and last night made Neanderthin Chili (from Neanderthin) for dinner. I had a small bowl of it for breakfast along with half an apple (could not finish the other half).

I'm going to make a large roast chicken tonight with roasted carrots and have a salmon fillet for lunch.
  #120   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 16:23
Slightly foxed

Day two was OK. Rotisserie pork again for lunch and cold beef with broccoli for dinner. No snacks. I did have two coffees, one at lunch and one in the evening in the pub. Damned hard being in a pub and not having a beer.