Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Aug-27-16, 05:33

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

The continued drumbeat of spreading this information about the power of diet and health is one of the most important dynamics for the generations alive today. For too long the Baby Boomers, Gen Xers, and Millennials have been brainwashed by the mantra of quick, convenient consumption of processed foods, the misinterpretation of the value of healthy fats, and the corresponding consumption of pharmaceuticals to address the inevitable health issues resulting from an atrocious diet. As people like Malhotra, Fettke, Fung, Hallburg, Westman, Noakes, and many others get this publicity, even from the negative backlash by practitioners still invested in traditional nutritional mythology, this is very helpful in redirecting many toward a healthy lifestyle. Reading one article can permanently change the life of one person frustrated that despite years of conscientiously following the recommended SAD approach the result is a downward spiral of health. That person simply needs the impetus to make a change at the precise time she realizes the need to do something completely different, because the old nutritional guidelines and markers of good health don't work.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-16, 06:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Dr. Malhotra featured in a NYT's Well blog story by Anahad O'Connor, Aug 23rd.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/...-fat-diet/?_r=0

Just received the following email from the Cereal Killers team (cerealkillersthemovie):

Quote:
Seen our New York Times feature yet?

Wow!! It's been an epic week for us folks.

The New York Times has just confirmed that "The Big Fat Fix" feature they ran Tuesday is already outperforming their health features x2.

Every time you purchase one of our movies or tell a friend you help us make progress. That all adds up to make a week like this possible.

Much appreciated!

Donal & The Cereal Killers

Looks like the NYT article has attracted a large readership!
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-16, 13:16

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Looks like the NYT article has attracted a large readership!
And a large number of people commenting agree with Malhotra. A year or two ago the majority of comments would have been against him.
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Aug-30-16, 04:46

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Great to read those comments.

An article from The Evening Standard with little summary of his recommendations.
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/die...-eat/ar-BBuOpbQ

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Aug-30-16 at 05:09.
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-16, 06:47

Ah...it was only a matter of time...that Dr David Katz would come out blasting away at not only Dr Malhotra but also all the health reporters at the New York Times. OMG..they are not towing the nutritional line anymore...those dietary guidelines that have improved the health of US these past forty years. While he, a "Nutrition and LIfestyle Expert" is being ignored..and relegated to lashing out in Forbes.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidka...y/#6652459523db

Diet Coverage In The New York Times? Chew Carefully, Swallow Selectively

"If this lamentation seems overdone to you..." Yes, David, your screed really is overdone and your delusions of grandeur a bit much to read.

Actually, this article should be titled "Diet Guru David Katz goes Ballistic... Again and Again"
Previous hissy fit http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=469995

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Sep-02-16 at 07:09.
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-16, 09:51

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
1) Agree that a diet in which minimally processed vegetables, fruits, whole grains, beans, lentils, nuts, seeds and water for thirst predominate; and with or without additions of dairy, eggs, fish seafood, poultry and lean meat–is robustly supported by evidence linking variations on this theme to benefits for the health of people and planet alike.

I would agree with this, conditionally--the condition being, in comparison to what? Which is to say, I agree that it's probably an improvement over Morgan Spurlock's diet in Supersize Me.

I don't give a rat's patootie about consensus. The whole article gives nothing but "we're the experts, trust us." If you're the expert, tell us why you hold a certain position, not that we should hold it because you do. Also, don't be an expert in something that hasn't been resolved yet.
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-16, 06:54

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
1) Agree that a diet in which minimally processed vegetables, fruits, whole grains, beans, lentils, nuts, seeds and water for thirst predominate; and with or without additions of dairy, eggs, fish seafood, poultry and lean meat–is robustly supported by evidence linking variations on this theme to benefits for the health of people and planet alike.

From experience, I cannot agree at all. Such a diet quickly produced dramatic downturns in my own health. And what do they mean "with or without" animal sources of protein?

Diets without animal sources are known to be deficient in B12, to name only one food element. And it's nothing to fool around with: a lack leads to mental illness and pernicious anemia.
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-16, 12:33

BF:

So, I'll continue with #s 2 & 3 of Katz's signed consensus statement, as it is instructive that he likens the NYT's new attitude to their reporting of climate change:
Quote:
2) Call upon the New York Times to cover diet and health as they cover climate change, with ample allowance for dissenting voices, but a clear commitment to conveying an understanding aligned with the weight of evidence and the preponderance of expert opinion around the globe.

3) Offer to serve, collectively, as a media resource reflecting the shared views of over 300 colleagues from 30 countries: media~truehealthinitiative.org.

Sara Baer-Sinnott, MA; President, Oldways

Nancy Collins, PhD, RD; Las Vegas, Nevada

Margaret I. Cuomo, MD; New York

Ronald Desantis, MBA, CMC, CHE; Director, Culinary Excellence, Yale University

Gary Egger, MPH, PhD; Southern Cross University, Sydney, Australia

Gail C. Frank, DrPH, RD, CHES; California State University, Long Beach

David J. Jenkins, MD, PhD, ScD; University of Toronto

Joel Kahn, MD, FACC; Wayne State University

Simon Poole, MBBS, DRCOG; Cambridge, England

Tom Rifai, MD, FACP; Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, Michigan

Michael F. Roizen, MD; The Cleveland Clinic

Elaine Rush, PhD; Auckland University of Technology, Auckland, New Zealand

Walter C. Willett, MD, DrPH; Harvard University

Kathleen Zelman, MPH, RD; Atlanta, Georgia

Interesting he mentions Climate Change, but in the midst of his circuitous with no logic ranting using impressive vocabulary, he admits that the only proof is the "weight of evidence and expert consensus is among the more actionable and impactful any of us might make to forestall climate change . . . " The emphasis can't be on consensus when we lack so much factual evidence about what constitutes a healthy diet. So, is he saying it's like climate change where the consensus and "preponderance of expert opinion" wins in terms of identifying the correct dietary approach for humans????? In other words, "We have more on our side, so we win." There was a time when the expert and overwhelming consensus was that the earth was flat . . .

Quote:
Whatever the cause, the effect is clear. The Times is often not a reliable source of what we know reliably about diet and health.

This contrasts rather starkly with the Times’ coverage of climate change. In this area, they acknowledge the dissenting voices, but use their bully pulpit to advance emphatically and clearly the consensus predicated on the weight of evidence. Ironically, shifting dietary patterns in a manner aligned with the weight of evidence and expert consensus is among the more actionable and impactful responses any of us might make to forestall climate change and mitigate its consequences, yet the Times’ own coverage discourages it.

I'll give the NYTs props for printing both sides. The issue here is with the noisy and aggressive faction arguing their point with no factual basis. If pressed, I would imagine Katz's claims of evidence would be the epidemiological but flawed studies familiar to many.
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-16, 03:35

Medscape has a long, feature article and interview with Dr Malhotra about his film. Featured at top right of the Heart Page. Medscape is a subscription information service for doctors and health care, but anyone can join.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/869636#vp_2

Quote:

'Big Fat Fix' Film Challenges Mediterranean Diet

Editor's Note: Cardiologist Aseem Malhotra, MBChB, MRCP, talks about his new documentary The Big Fat Fix, which sent him to Pioppi, Italy, the village where Ancel Keys researched diet and cardiovascular health. A regular contributor to the BMJ and major UK newspapers on the topic of dietary health, Dr Malhotra believes that the demonization of fat let sugar off the hook as the real culprit in the diabetes, obesity, and cardiovascular disease epidemic, and that we need to rethink our approach to exercise.

Medscape: How did you become interested in diet?

Dr Malhotra: Originally I trained as an interventional cardiologist. My journey to becoming a campaigner against the epidemic of obesity and its related diseases plaguing the western world began in the hospital.

I was working as a trainee (a registrar, as we say in the UK) and I treated a middle-aged man with emergency stenting for ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction. The next day, when I was talking to him about following a healthy lifestyle, quitting smoking, taking all of his medications, and following a good diet, he was actually served a burger and fries. He asked me, "How do you expect me to change my lifestyle when you're serving me the same crap that brought me in here in the first place?"

If our food environment was allowing our patients to be served junk food, then something had to change.

theheart.org | Medscape: What did you do to initiate change?

Dr Malhotra: I got involved with a group called the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges, which is essentially a prestigious academic body that represents every doctor in the UK. I joined their Obesity Steering Group as the junior doctor representative because I'd written a few pieces in the Guardian and the Observer newspapers. Through that, I met various professors involved in nutrition and public health policy, and after a year of reviewing evidence to tackle obesity, we came up with a 10-point plan.[1]

Around that time, I started writing for the BMJ and began looking more closely at the research on nutrition and cardiovascular disease. My first realization (and it's something we don't learn about in medical school) was that most cardiovascular disease can be prevented by addressing lifestyle factors. According to the Lancet global burden of disease reports, poor diet contributes to more disease and death than physical inactivity, smoking, and alcohol combined.[2] That's extraordinary.

There is good evidence that dietary changes can rapidly reduce cardiovascular risk. We have the Lyon Heart Study,[3] conducted in patients post–myocardial infarction (MI), and the number needed to treat to prevent early mortality is 30. Following a Mediterranean diet after having an MI is more effective than statins.[4] We have a huge imbalance. Overtreatment is a big problem, and at the same time, we have neglected lifestyle medicine.

Medscape: You have been critical of the emphasis on saturated fat in dietary recommendations. Can you speak to that?

Dr Malhotra: I wrote an editorial in the BMJ in 2013[5] called "Saturated Fat Is Not the Major Issue," which was peer-reviewed and got a lot of coverage worldwide. It basically said that we have been wrong in declaring saturated fat the most important dietary factor driving cardiovascular disease. We have neglected sugar, and sugar is the major problem.

I assessed the quality of the research on saturated fat that led to the dietary guidance in the US and the UK, and I came to the conclusion that the unfair demonization of fats and saturated fat is actually driving the epidemics of type 2 diabetes and obesity (both very much related to cardiovascular disease).

When you look at the data in terms of what's going to be most effective in reducing cardiovascular disease, those foods tend to be higher in fats, specifically oily fish, extra virgin olive oil, and nuts (and, of course, people have to eat lots of vegetables). Everything's upside down and it's a problem.

Seven pages of interview questions continues,

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Oct-06-16 at 04:04.