Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View comments Article tools
Registered Member
Yet another success story...
Posted by freydis
Posted Thu, Feb-06-03
Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%
Cool Yet another success story...

In March of 2002, I was a 2-year surviver of a heart attack and triple bypass. I had been doing a low-fat diet since (at least) the early 1990's. In 1997 I became diabetic (type 2), and my health was progressing downward more quickly than ever. By last year, my blood pressure was out of control. The doctor had done everything he could do for me and the readings were still incredibly instant-death high. My weight was creeping upward - very slowly - but losing weight seemed an impossibility. My blood sugars were being controlled reasonably well with glipizide (burns out the islets).

My doctor essentially told me to get my affairs in order, that I'd be lucky to last two more years. On the way home from that visit, I decided it was time for drastic measures. I decided to try the Atkins diet.

By June, my triglycerides dropped over a hundred points and my total cholesterol went under 200 for the first time EVER. My blood pressure dropped 40 points for each number. My legs weren't swelling as bad, my allergies had gone away, my weight was down 20-some lbs, and my doctor was impressed.

By September, my triglycerides were still down, my bp was down another 30 pts for each number, my weight was down further. But, I had dropped my glipizide because of what it was doing to me. The doctor put me on glucophage and I now treat my diabetes with diet and glucophage. Someday I may be off of all meds, when I've lost enough weight.

My total meds have gone from 12 pills daily to 3. I have more energy. I have more range of motion. I'm happier. The benefits have been stupendous. Furthermore, my husband and son have seen similar benefits. And, my doctor who was against Atkins in March of last year is now on the program, too, and has lost over 30 lbs. How's that for a testimonial?

I was SO SICK when I started that I was afraid the diet would kill me. It hasn't. It has improved EVERYTHING in my life. I can walk again. I can even run a little. And I get stronger and better every single day on low-carbing.
Article tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Success Photos
Before
Not uploaded yet
In-Progress
Not uploaded yet
After
Not uploaded yet

by DWRolfe on Thu, Feb-06-03, 09:24
Smile Keep going

What a powerful story, freydis...thank you so much for sharing it with this group.

As you know, I was also at rock bottom and scared that I was at the point of no return when I began LCing 13 months ago. Within 2 months I was off all meds and I've never felt better than I do now.

Let's hope that many forum members and lurkers will read your story and be inspired by it!

Donald

9 comments [read all comments]

Article tools