Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 13:33
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default A Bad Case of Sugar Addiction

This has been excerpted from Dana Carpender's Hold the Toast newsletter. Hold the Toast

It's long, but contains sage advice.

A Bad Case Of Sugar Addiction

I get a lot of email. I read all of it, but don't have time to answer all of it (although I do answer quite a lot of it.) I care about all my readers, but every now and then I get a plea that is so desperately miserable that it pierces my heart.

I got one of these this week. It's from a woman I will only identify as Marie. Marie has 100 pounds to lose, and describes herself as a sugar addict. She says, "I just can't seem to make it through one day without it. it's like i am an alcoholic in a liquor store. She describes herself as "a prisoner of a can of Coke. She worries that her son is just as addicted as she is, and that she's setting a bad example. She says she "cringes at the thought of Diet Coke and artificial sweeteners, and doesn't know if it's psychological, or part of her addiction. She refers to her size as "disgusting", and says she's so drained by 7 pm that she has to take a nap. The heartfelt cry comes through the email: "Why can't I just break free from this? Do others go through this also?"

Yes. Oh, yes. Many, many people go through this, and if you count all of the people who are addicted to other substances, the number goes even higher. So this article is for you, Marie, and for all of the Maries out there, reading this.

First of all, I want you to realize that you really are a drug addict. Sugar is a powerful, deadly, highly addictive drug, just as much so as those other white, crystalline plant extracts that the government has seen fit to ban. I do not say this to stigmatize you, by any means -- I would be stigmatizing myself, as well, for I stole to support my sugar habit in my day. No, I say it to make you realize that you're not crazy, you're not just "weak -- you have a genuine biochemical problem, a physiological problem. And physiological problems are amenable to physiological solutions.

Of course, there are psychological issues involved as well, how could there not be? After all, we're emotional beings, and even more than that, our brains are part of our bodies, so the two are intimately intertwined. But I think if we can get your physiological state headed in the right direction, you'll be able to deal with the emotional
stuff.

(This is the opposite of what has been popular for a few decades – the idea that we have to deal with our emotions before we can deal with the physical. I don't agree. I think bodies are far easier to work with than hearts and minds, and that the physical has a huge effect on the emotional, so let's start with the easy stuff, shall we? I call this approach "somatopsychic", the exact opposite of "psychosomatic".)

Marie, clearly simply quitting sugar cold turkey isn't working for you. It can be hard, since the stuff is literally everywhere . At least if a heroin addict or a cocaine addict wants to quit their drug cold turkey, it's easy to find a place where there isn't any supply around, but just try getting away from sugar!

So, let's forget about you quitting cold turkey, and talk about some other strategies.

First of all, I want you to focus on getting healthy before you focus on losing weight. I want you to think in terms of eating the things that your body needs, rather than on not eating the things that are bad for you. I'm not encouraging you to eat sugar, here. Rather, I'm suggesting a change of focus.

Make sure that you're eating your high protein breakfast every morning. If you want to have some fruit with it, that's fine by me -- some strawberries or blueberries, or perhaps a wedge of melon. But be certain to have at least two to three ounces of a protein food every morning -- a couple of eggs, a couple of sausage patties, a scoop of cottage cheese, a hamburger patty, whatever you like. This is utterly essential; it will effect your blood sugar, and therefore your hunger and cravings, for the rest of the day. Eat at least 4-5 ounces of protein and plenty of low carb vegetables with your lunch and dinner, and have a little snack of something low carb, but high in protein and nutritive value no less often than every three hours. Sunflower or pumpkin seeds would be ideal , but a slice
of cheese, some vegetables with dip made with yogurt or cottage cheese, would all be fine. We're not talking a huge amount of food at these snacks, just a bit -- a couple of tablespoons of seeds, an ounce of cheese, that sort of thing. We're working on stabilizing your blood sugar, and reducing cravings.

One other thing: We're not going to take away your Coke yet, but I want you to drink at least as much water as Coke. The easiest way to do this is to simply chug a big glass of water -- 12 ounces or more – before you open each can of Coke. We're not trying to take away your Coke yet, you see, but want to wean you away from the practice of relying on something sugary to quench thirst.

Also, remember that a Coke addiction is not just a sugar addiction, but also a caffeine addiction. Experiment with other caffeine-containing beverages. Coffee and tea are the most obvious; try having some iced tea in place of a Coke now and then. Again, since we're not getting rid of your sugar yet, you may put sugar in it if you like, for the time being -- you're unlikely to add as much sugar as you'll find in a can of Coke! (For the record, a can of Coke has the corn syrup equivalent of 10 teaspoons of sugar per can -- nearly a quarter cup.) We're not even going to consider cutting caffeine out of your life. It's a non-problem compared to the sugar.

I also want you taking supplements. A good, strong, multi-vitamin is essential. This should have big doses of all the B vitamins, including the ones that the cheap supplements often leave out -- choline, inositol, biotin, pantothenic acid (B5). Twenty-five milligrams a day of B1 (thiamin), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin) and B6 (pyrodoxine) are not excessive in the least. You should also be getting a broad spectrum of minerals, preferably in a "chelated form. ("Chelated means that the minerals have been bound to a protein, so that your body absorbs them better.) In particular, you need to be getting at least 1000 mgs (1 gram) per day of calcium, and at least 500 mgs per day of magnesium.

You will not get all of this with a one-pill-per-day supplement; don't think you can just take Centrum or One-a-Day and get what you need. You can't. In particular, these cheap supplements are always short on minerals, since calcium and magnesium are bulky, and take up a lot of space. (If you just take calcium/magnesium tablets, it generally takes between 2 and 6 to get 1000 mgs of calcium and 500 mgs of magnesium, so you can see how a one tablet a day supplement won't have everything you need.) You should also be sure to get at least 50 mgs of chromium a day (more won't hurt, within reason); this helps stabilize blood sugar. If you don't eat fish fairly regularly, you might consider taking a vanadium supplement as well, or looking for a vitamin which contains vanadium.

You'll probably need to go to a health food store for these supplements; drug stores or places like KMart and WalMart will not have anything adequate. Two health food store products I think are quite good are Twin Lab Mega 6 (This is a capsule of moderate size; you ideally you take two with each meal) , and Twin Lab DualTabs. (Keep in mind that the DualTabs are a BIG tablet; if you have trouble swallowing big pills, this wouldn't be for you. It is, however, an excellent product, although you will still need at least one calcium/magnesium tablet a day along with your two DualTabs.) Some network marketing companies also have excellent supplements; I've taken products from Life Plus, FreeLife, and Vaxa, and think that they were all very good; however, these tend to run very high, price wise.

The point of this is that people who have been eating junk for a long time are apt to have multiple low-level deficiencies. These can cause depression and anxiety, which don't make changing your diet any easier. They can also cause "hidden hunger -- your body, despite having far too many calories, doesn't have all the vitamins and minerals it needs, so it craves more and more, trying to get what it's missing. Deficiencies can also make blood sugar instability worse, which will also cause cravings.

Notice I haven't said a word about what not to eat, so far. I'm talking about making sure that your body is getting the food and water it needs -- the protein and fats it needs to build and repair and balance its hormonal systems, the micronutrients it needs to process everything, make energy, and maintain proper brain chemistry, and the water needed to act as a solvent and to remove toxins. There's a terrible tendency in folks who are overweight and sugar addicted to try to cut calories by eating less of the healthy stuff to make "calorie room for the sugar. Don't do it.

At this point, we're not cutting sugar out of your diet altogether, but you must eat the healthy stuff. If you still have room for the sugary stuff after you eat the healthy stuff, okay, but do not omit the meat, the eggs, the vegetables, the nuts and seeds, to make room for Coke and candy and cookies. Remember, right now we're not worrying about your weight; we're trying to create better health. A stronger, healthier body will be in a better position to kick an addiction.

The one thing you might consider cutting out of your diet is all of the processed carb-y stuff that you eat out of habit, rather than because you really, really want it. Don't really care one way or another about. Okay, so we've got you eating the good stuff, and taking your vitamins. What else?

I want you to get some mild exercise. A fifteen-minute walk, once or twice a day would do fine. If your knees or back hurt -- very common in people who are quite overweight -- see if you can find a pool; the water will support you and prevent injury. You don't have to swim if you don't want to; just walking in the water, back and forth, as quickly as you can without getting out of breath, is fine exercise. Either way, do some deep breathing while you exercise.

This is all I want you to do for at least a month. Make sure you are eating all the good stuff, take your vitamins, get a little exercise. You're not giving anything up yet. Got it? And stay off of the scale for the time being. You're not trying to lose weight, you're just trying to improve your nutritional status. Yes, I know you desperately want to lose weight, but a month's investment in laying the groundwork for a lifetime of better habits and lower weight isn't that much to ask of yourself.

Once you've spent a month or so doing all of this, then it's time to start cutting out the sugar. However, I suspect that if you do what I've outlined above, you'll find that your sugar consumption has already started to drop all by itself, simply because you'll be full, and your cravings will be less. This is the perfect place to be to start getting the sugar out of your life.

So how to do it? Me, I cut sugar out overnight. Just dropped it. And that worked fine for me. And perhaps, after this month or so of preparation, you'll be ready for this. On the other hand, maybe you won't.

If that's the case, I'd suggest trying a mini-binge diet. However, I wouldn’t recommend doing it the way it's outlined in my book, because I'd be reluctant to cut out your healthy snacks; we want you full , with rock steady blood sugar. Instead, I'd recommend that you see if you can find _Healthy For Life_, by Richard and Rachael Heller, of Carbohydrate Addict's Diet fame -- it's currently out of print, but your library should be able to get it for you through Interlibrary Loan, if they don't have it on hand. (Most libraries don't charge for this service, bless them!) If not, get their _Carbohydrate Addicts Life Span Program_, the updated version of CAD which allows snacks. Either way, neither of these plans will require you to completely give up anything , which can be a real psychological comfort when you're starting out. You may or may not lose on these programs -- I didn't, but I know many people who did. The good thing about them is that they will give you a framework in which to start controlling your sugar intake, without scaring you to death with "You must never, ever taste these again!

Once you're well into either the Healthy For Life program or Carbohydrate Addict's Diet Lifespan Program, you may decide that you want to cut your carbs/sugar even further, and that's okay. (The one thing in the Heller's books that you should ignore is their repeated statements that carbs are essential, and that it's terribly unhealthy to cut them out entirely, a la Atkins or Protein Power. Millions of us out here can testify that that's just not true.) However, if you're losing weight and feeling good on those programs, you may decide to stay right there, and that's just fine.

Three other thoughts:

1) Marie, you're worried about your son and his sugar addiction. My understanding from folks with kids, and from my own childhood addiction, is that kids will eat huge quantities of sugar when it's provided for free, but are remarkably reluctant to earn their own money to buy it. As you cut the supply at home, his intake will drop -- practice the words, "Where's your money? However, count the money in your wallet. (This is not a slur on your child, nor on your parenting skills. This is real-world advice from a girl who had wonderful parents, and terrific parenting, and who has grown up to be an honest, upstanding, hard-working citizen -- but who stole money from her parents' wallets to get sugar when her addiction was at its worst. Junkies are driven .)

Also, you should do your best to start him on the health-improvement program as well, especially the high-protein breakfast. If you can't get him to eat eggs for breakfast, he might eat a hamburger patty -- hard to find an American kid -- unless they were raised vegetarian -- who doesn't like hamburgers. A couple of string cheese sticks might go over. Or you could give him a sugar-free protein shake; lots of them on the market, or you could use the stevia-sweetened recipe in my book if you don't want to give him artificial sweeteners. How hard could it be to get him to drink a chocolate, vanilla, or peanut butter shake? If he's in a hurry in the mornings, put the ingredients in the blender the night before, and stash it in the fridge. Next morning, blend it up, pour it in a paper or plastic cup, and send it with him to the bus stop.

Be aware that in one clinical study this one change -- a high protein, low carbohydrate breakfast -- cut hunger so much in teenaged boys that they ate 81% fewer calories for the rest of the day! Very, very powerful stuff.

2) Another thought -- Marie, you say you cringe at the thought of Diet Coke and artificial sweeteners; you don't mention whether you are worried about them because they are, indeed, artificial, or whether you're sure you won't like the taste. Either way, let's talk about it:

If you're concerned about artificial sweeteners being unhealthy and unnatural: First of all, keep in mind that the fact that something is "natural means NOTHING in terms of it being healthy , or even harmless. Many of the most toxic substances in the world are 100% natural -- botulism toxin comes to mind. Rattlesnake venom. Death angel mushrooms. All quite natural, and all just as deadly as can be. There's even a natural substance called ricin -- it comes from castor beans -- which can kill you in doses as small as a few hundred molecules! For that matter, cocaine, heroin, and tobacco are all natural substances, and I trust you wouldn't argue that they were not dangerous.

I am not telling you that artificial sweeteners are completely without risk. I know of nothing that is completely without risk! However, I will tell you that it is clear that sugar is a huge risk, that it kills thousands and thousands of people every year, from heart disease, diabetes, cancers, and more, and makes millions more miserable from blood sugar swings and by causing brain-affecting deficiencies. Further, there is nothing natural about being able to drink 10 teaspoons of sugar in a few minutes; one can of Coke has more than twice as much sugar as your post-Civil War ancestors ate in an entire day. Just as Bolivian natives don't seem to take much harm from chewing coca leaves, but extracted cocaine is deadly and addictive, there is a HUGE difference between eating an apple and eating/drinking things with concentrated, processed sugar. In short, if you're thinking that sugar is better for your body than artificial sweeteners, you're fooling yourself.

However, I am aware that aspartame (Nutrasweet, Equal) is tremendously controversial, and that many people feel that it causes nasty symptoms in them. I'm not about to argue; I stopped drinking diet pop when it all started being sweetened with aspartame instead of saccharine, because it seemed to give me anxiety attacks. There is all sorts of shouting on both sides of this issue, with the FDA and Monsanto insisting that the stuff is safe, safe, safe, and consumers and some organizations insisting that aspartame causes everything from headaches to multiple sclerosis. Furthermore, Dr. Atkins states that aspartame can interfere with fat burning on a cellular level; I don't have the expertise needed to evaluate this statement, but I do know that roughly half of low carb dieters have trouble losing weight if they regularly drink diet soda or Crystal Lite, or eat diet Jell-O.

As a result of all of this, I use aspartame only very rarely -- really, I only use it when I make a recipe which includes sugar free instant pudding powder, like my chocolate mousse recipe, or my whipped topping recipe. In these small, infrequent doses, I notice no ill effects from aspartame.

However, there are other artificial sweeteners on the market! Splenda has been tested to a fare-thee-well, and appears to be pretty darned safe; it's also been in use in other countries for a whole lot longer than it's been available here -- I used to get it through a Canadian cyberpal. The chemical name for Splenda is sucralose; you can look for
both terms on labels.
For that matter, good old saccharine, which has long carried a cancer warning, has been cleared by the FDA after all these years; they have officially removed saccharine from the list of cancer-causing substances. (Now if they'd only put sugar on the list...) You do still see the warning labels; I can only guess that manufacturers are selling off the ends of their stores of these products with the old labels.

Then there's acesulfame-K, aka ace-K, acesulfame potassium, or, for some reason which passes understanding, Sunnette. (What the stuff has to do with sun, I do not pretend to know.) I have not been able to find much information about ace-K, but it's not very widely used, either, so I'm not going to sweat it.

There is also stevia, which seems a lot like an artificial sweetener in its intense sweetness and occasional aftertaste, but is completely natural, apparently totally safe, and is even suspected to improve blood sugar stability. Stevia is the sweetener of choice for people who completely reject artificial sweeteners. Sadly, you'll have to make all your own stevia sweetened foods and beverages, since the FDA only allows stevia to be sold as a "supplement", rather than used widely as the sweetener it is. Still, this is a very useful option, and I know a fair number of people who feel that stevia tastes better than sugar in iced tea or coffee. I think the stevia/FOS blends on the market taste better than straight stevia extract, and are easier to use.

So, Marie, if your worry about Diet Coke is that the aspartame makes you nervous, you can get sodas sweetened with other artificial sweeteners. Good old Tab has made a comeback; it's in all the grocery stores around here, and it's still sweetened with saccharine. (You don't even want to know how much Tab I used to drink...) For that matter, Diet Rite is now sweetened with sucralose/Splenda; they also make several other soda flavors; the fruit flavors, like raspberry and white grape are particularly appealing -- guests at my big barbecue bash last summer gave these rave reviews, even folks who never drink diet soda.

On the other hand, you may simply be worried that artificially sweetened products won't taste good. If that's the case, you haven't tried Splenda! Stuff tastes great. Really, really great. If taste is your concern, this is the product I'd go with, and I'd try the sucralose sweetened sodas by Diet Rite first. (Pretty soon most diet soda will be sucralose sweetened.)

But there are desserts made with other artificial sweeteners that taste very good, and not at all "fake". For instance, the two dessert recipes on the recipe page at my website -- Sugar Free Chocolate Mousse To DIE For and Strawberry Cups -- both taste wonderful. ( http://www.holdthetoast.com/recipes.html ) I have served them over and over, to dieters and non-dieters alike, and I have only gotten raves , even from people who were only tasting a tiny bit out of curiosity. "Wow, that really is good! they exclaim in amazement. Well, yeah. It's amazing how far a good shot of heavy cream will go to getting rid of the "diet taste...

So here's a challenge to you, Marie, while you're getting your nutritional house in order for the next month or so -- I want you to try at least one new sugar-free dessert recipe per week, and two would be better. Start with the two recipes I mention above; they're both fast and easy to make. If your concern about artificial sweeteners has to do with health, rather than taste, you might buy _Low Carb Cooking With Stevia_, by Kirkland ( http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...owcarbohysoluti ); you'll get lots of ideas for sugar free, low carb desserts using stevia.

Either way, the point is to explore the world of sugar free yumminess before you start trying to get the sugar out of your diet. That way, once you do start cutting the sugar out of your life, you'll have some sugar free desserts that you know taste really good that you can turn to.

One note about this: I found it really interesting, when I first developed the chocolate mousse recipe, that while I couldn't taste the difference -- the stuff tasted great -- the buzz was gone. The body knew, and while the mouth was definitely enjoying the experience, the body didn't drive me to eat and eat and eat, because it knew it wasn't getting its fix. Interesting.

3) I've given this advice before, and I'll give it again: Make a list -- yes, actually get out a pencil and paper and make a real list -- of all of the foods you really, really love that are low carb and good for you. Fresh strawberries with whipped cream. Lobster with lemon butter. Imported brie. Peanuts in the shell. Deviled eggs. Shrimp
sautéed in butter, with plenty of garlic. Ribeye steaks, broiled just right. Whatever it is that rings your chimes. Then buy it. Cook it. Eat it!

Make another list of things that you love, but don't usually buy, that aren't even food -- a massage, or an hour's long distance call to an old friend, or a pedicure. Fresh cut flowers. Perfume. A great haircut. Tickets to a show. A two hour soak in a hot tub, with a trashy novel and a glass of wine. Start using these as rewards to yourself now and then.

These two lists -- the low carb yummy list, and the non-food reward list -- are very powerful tools for beginning to change the way you think about reward versus deprivation.

So there you go; your own personal program. Well, you and anyone else who's reading this who has tried and failed to make the break from sugar!

Let me know how you do, will you?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 13:39

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Wow! Thank you for posting that. I wish I'd read that when I started! Her plan to ease into low carb would have been much easier than what I tried to do!!!! I just happened to hit a couple of journals of people who took to the WOE like the proverbial duck to duck sauce and I kept beating myself up not only for being fat, but cowardly and weak-willed.

I hope every Newbie whose native diet is composed primarily of sugar -- whether you think you're an addict or not -- will read this one! (And yes, I admit it. If you were to give me a pop quiz and ask me to write down what was the first point I took away from reading that it's "I can have Coke! I can have Coke! I can have Coke!" )
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 16:06
Forum Founder

BF:

It took me years to wean myself off Coke. I went from Coke, to juice and then to water when I started LC. Like any addict, I had to have a constant supply around me or I would start freaking.

It has nothing to do with will-power Alto. It's a physical thing. Once you've dealt with the physical, there is the mental and spiritual element to take care of.

That is one of the great things about working in a restaurant. A free and unlimited supply of Coke along with the buckets of chocolate, great bread, buttermilk mashed potatoes and freshly made desserts everyday. A junkie's dream!

Now it's an unlimited supply of LC foods.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-02, 00:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/153/120 Female 62"
BF:Start38%
Progress: 33%

Wow!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-02, 11:59

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care

karen, this is a great post. Dana's stuff is always dead-on, I think, and this information is especially good. (She also has the terribly sane view that losing down to a size 12 and maintaining easily after a lifetime of carb addiction is not a failure--not everyone can be or needs to be a fashion model!)

I want to add that it took me a year of LCing and one major lapse to start working most usefully on the emotional parts of the carb addiction issue. That year of physical healing was crucial to this process, the lapse was crucial to the learning, and the mental clarity I got from the lack of carbdrug was, I suspect, necessary to feel stable enough to dig into the childhood and self-concept issues that started my lifelong sugar addiction and can still re-trigger those cravings. So I'd second Dana's opinion that the healing starts with the physical...and don't force the emotional part before you have your physiology healed. And then when you're ready, there's a lot of good recovery literature out there (use what seems right and discard what feels wrong for you), there are counselors who special in eating disorders, there is OA, there are wise people like Karen on this board!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-02, 00:18
Forum Founder

BF:

Totally right on Razzle!

After hitting several major walls, I realized that there something more deeply amiss than a physical addiction to carbs. I was a plain 'ole food addict who could go off on a low-carb binge at any time. "But I'm not eating carbs, right?" Yeah, right!
Quote:
And then when you're ready, there's a lot of good recovery literature out there (use what seems right and discard what feels wrong for you), there are counselors who special in eating disorders, there is OA...

Perfect advice. Low-carbing is part of the answer, but there is the emotional and spiritual aspect to.

This is a link to questions that can help you determine if you are a compulsive overeater.

Are You a Compulsive Overeater?

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 11:33

BF:

Suggestion: Karen, could you make this a sticky? I almost lost it and wanted to refer someone else to this thread. (Of course, if that isn't appropriate, that's fine, and you can just delete this post )
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 16:45
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Karen...this is the post!

I salute you!

Standing Ovation!

Elihnig
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 18:05
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Suggestion: Karen, could you make this a sticky? I almost lost it and wanted to refer someone else to this thread. (Of course, if that isn't appropriate, that's fine, and you can just delete this post )

Hey Alto!

It's in the Hot Links! sticky as a link. It's in the Newbies questions area.

Karen
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 19:39

BF:

Thanks! Allison's long list of suggestions on today's Daily Menu thread look like a keeper too
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 02:41

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

Great article.

Maybe the reason I have had no problem adjusting to this WOE this time around is because Id been doing the Potatoes Not Prozac program on and off last year. I didnt find it helpful to lose weight (obviously) in the long run but it was great for balancing me out. The program takes things really slow to avoid the withdrawl syptoms. Its very much the same as the post here but you move on to changing from 'white' to 'brown' carbs before taking the sugar out. Everything is done at your own pace.
There is 7 steps to the program.
I found it a help to get me started but I did find I would slip and sometimes it was like really off the cliff . I got too impatient with it all and really wanted to just jump in so now Im here and doing Atkins.
Im ready to shift these pounds!!!
It must of set me up well though as although I was still eating mostly carbs I did have protein at every meal and ate alot more wholefoods. For me though I am finding having none of the so called 'goodies' better than having a little.
One bite is too many and 100 is never enough

This is the address to the message board at Radiant Recovery if anyone want to check it out.
I hope its alright to post that?
There are links there to all sorts of sugar sensitive info and the steps are listed. It really is a very good site although Kathleen (Dr Spud) would not aprove of what I am doing now
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 02:55
Forum Founder

BF:

I sometimes wonder what would happen if I ate the potato before going to bed. The idea of vivid dreams appeals to me, but the carbs scare me!

I may try it for maintenance, just to satisfy my curiosity...It would be a shame to find out that I was seratonin deprived!

BTW, I'm reading her Recovery Program now and am really enjoying it.

Karen
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 03:02

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

Her latest book (is that the one your reading) is suposedly more aimed at weight loss.
Its not in our shops yet and ordering from the U.S proves to be very expensive! I'll just look forward to getting my copy of the latest Atkins not here yet either