Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-01, 14:04

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Atkins over Sugar Busters

Pros/Cons: Anyone tried both? First day so far and I am sorta winging it but will stop by library (thanks Wa'il)

Which do you prefer? Anyone?
Sachi
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-01, 14:39

Plan: CKD
Stats: 245/215/130
BF:
Progress:
Smile

Haven't tried sugar busters. I've done Atkins with go results...I did switch over to CKD this week to see if it would work for my hubby and me. It might be something you just have to try for yourself. Do both for a month and see what happens and keep yourself a journal here so you can track everything really well. Make a list of everything you eat in your journal...including spices. That way everyone here can see what your doing and will be able to help you better if you stall or have a problem. And watch out for hidden carbs...they can REALLY KICK YOUR BUTT!

Everyone's body, metabolism and allergies are is sooo different that sometimes I think you just have to try and see what happens. But I also think you have to give yourself a GOOD MONTH to REALLY know what your body is going to do.
GOOD LUCK!
LRRAINE
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 08:08

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/176.5/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Hi Lorraine!

Sorry to be so dumb................ .but what is the CKD?

Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 08:10

BF:
Default Hi Lorraine!

Sorry to be so dumb................ .but what is the CKD? How does it work?

Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 22:45
Registered Member

Plan: Low carb floundering; deciding which plan
Stats: 241/229.5/133
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Hello, Jo Ann!

Jo Ann,

I'm so happy to see you're from Conroe...I'm local myself. Maybe we can share ideas and support (advice on better and safer places to eat lunch!).

I'm even happier to see some activity in the Sugar Busters section. You're not on SB, though, are you? I also have no idea what CKD is. I've been too embarrassed to ask. Sugar Busters fits me better than Atkins. I'm too old to put my body into ketosis and I would miss greens and salad, but I admire my friends who are on Atkins and doing so well.

I hope you'll post soon. Later,

Hestia from the Piney Woods of West Montgomery County
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 08:09

BF:
Default Howdy Neighbor, Hestia!

Glad to know I have someone near me dieting. Hestia, I have been on the Atkins for about a month, loss about 10 pounds doing it, then decided I couldn't honestly live with it forever, so to be realistic with myself, I switched to the CALP. It allows you one reward meal a day as long as it is eaten within a 60 min. period. I have lost about 4 pounds doing the CALP way. I am actually giving it a try to see how it works for me. I had fears of gaining my 10 pounds back, but so far so good. I don't overdo it on the reward meal, however.
Hestia, have you ever tried the CALP ?
I think if you go to this site........you can read about the CAD/CALP if you have any intetest?

http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-a...te-addicts.html

Hope to hear from you again soon. My e-mail is included in my signature, if you would like to e-mail me sometimes?

Jo Ann in Conroe, TEXAS
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 18:16
Registered Member

BF:
Default Carb addicts?

Hey, Jo Ann!

How's your Saturday night shaping up? Thank you for responding. It is sort of comforting to know someone else nearby is fighting this fight. Is CALP the Carb Addicts program? If so, I have one of their books and I was intrigued by their take on this subject. Like you, I feared the reward meal. You say you're having some success with it, huh? That's wonderful! It's so difficult to take care of ourselves sometimes.

I'd love to discuss the pros and cons of our two programs. I have to admit that the deprivation I feel on the SB way gets to me. And I LOVE to cook for my family and friends. And, of course, I love good food (sometimes I'll even eat bad food...hehehe!).

I'll try to drop you an email so you'll have my address. I've had a very terrible Thursday and Friday this week, so it was a pleasant surprise to find your post. Thank you!

Until later,

Hes
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 19:13

BF:
Wink Howdy Hestia!

I have only been doing the CALP (which includes a reward meal once daily, eaten within 60 minutes) for about a week. I can't tell how it is working for me as for as the scales are concerned, but it is sure nice to be able to know that I can have a cookie or a piece of fruit, if I should desire to.
May I ask, what don't you like about the Sugar Busters? I have the book, but never really read it. I understand it is very healthy for, especially, diebetics! Are you losing weight on it or not?
Have you ever done the Atkins, or the CAD/CALP? If this CALP does not work for me after a while, then I plan to go back to the Low Fat/Low Calorie, with regrets!
Love to hear from you when you get the chance.
A Diet Buddy in TEXAS
Jo Ann
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 00:57
Registered Member

BF:
Default Re: Sugar Busters

Jo Ann,

Yes! Sugar Busters works. The first time I did SB, I started at 241 pounds and was down 30 pounds in three months. What I don't like about it is not being able to eat some of the foods I REALLY love (the quesadillas at Rancho Grande and the fried catfish and green tomato pickles at Vernon's!). Also, as I've said, I love to cook for my family and friends. I don't want to know I can never have homemade cheesecake or mashed potatoes again. And with SB, that's the deal. It's unrealistic for me to even DREAM I could maintain that. But, yes, to answer your question, the weight will come off if you follow the SB plan as written. And your energy levels will increase, too. I had more energy on SB, but was tense and cranky alot of the time. Of course, my friends say it's just my bad temperment and type A personality! I actually managed to stay on SB last summer on vacation. Can't remember how...

I am starting fresh again in the morning with the CALP plan. Here we go again. Wish me luck. Luck to you, too!

Later,
XXX
Hes
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 08:07

BF:
Default Hello Hes!

Howdy Hes!
Thanks for the information about the SB. I think I am going to stick with the CALP. I really don't have the "hang" of it yet......but I am trying.
Basically, what it is in general.....you do the Atkins for Breakfast and lunch with no snacks and then basically, you have have a pretty normal dinner, I suppose? As long as it is done within that 60 mins. Hes, is that the way you kinda understand it?
By the way, we eat at Kountry Katfish all the time! That is part of where all of my pounds have piled on!
Please keep in touch to let me know how you do on the CALP. Maybe we can help each other understand the program?
JoAnnAtkinson~juno.com
Jo Ann in Conroe, TEXAS
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 14:04
Registered Member

BF:
Default Condensed Interpretation of CALP?

Hey, Jo Ann!

This is great...I'm so glad you're near. I feel your energy!

As for your description of CALP, I don't know yet. I'm still re-studying the book and trying to decipher what to and not to. I don't know if the two restricted meals are "Atkins" or not. I confess I've never read any of the Atkins books. I don't believe Atkins allows alot of the veggies that CALP will let you have during your restricted meals. For instance, I just made one of the "restricted" recipes out of the CALP book for dinner today. It's cabbage and yellow bell pepper and lean pork roast baked in a sauce of sour cream, a bit of butter, parsley and pepper. It's great! I really like cabbage anyway. But I bet you can't get away with that with Atkins. But your assessment of two low-carb meals with a "normal" 60-minute meal is pretty much the way I understand it. I've come away from the book with the idea that the pre-reward meal salad/veggie is most important. And the balancing of protein/starchy carbs/veggies on your plate is a big deal. I'll do my best...

I'm thinking I can eat at Luby's on the days I don't bring my lunch. Lunchtime is a toughie for me. Sometimes I work through lunch and need something I can eat at my desk. There must be an "emergency kit" of some sort that we can put together and have handy.

I think CALP would let you have a LuAnn platter with green (legal) veggies and baked chicken/fish. And that would be plenty to get me through the afternoon. You could do the same thing at Ryan's or Golden Corral, but there's alot more temptation in a buffet situation. We'll see!

Soon, Jo Ann!

Hestia
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 16:59

BF:
Smile Howdy Hestia!

I went to Ryans today in Palestine, Texas and I didn't do too well. That large buffett is very tempting and I ate far too much, even for the reward meal! I will be back home in Conroe, the 1st of the week, then I can get "my act" together again! I hope!
I have not read my book completely yet , but I hope I can get most of it done, this week. But, I think I basically have the "jest" of it!
Talk to you soon!
Jo Ann in Conroe, TEXAS
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 20:42
Registered Member

BF:
Default Hi, Jo Ann!

I think you've got the basic tenets of this WOE down but, like myself, you have to put it into practice in REAL LIFE! I haven't tried going into Ryan's yet. I used to love their rotisserie chicken, but I always want to dive head first into the mashed potatoes. I probably will wait just a bit.

I did eat lunch at Luby's today. If you can call it that. I wolfed down a small piece of baked fish and a spoonful of cabbage. Then I was off and running my errands. I know that's terrible for me, but what's a working mom to do? It wasn't very good.

Come on home to Conroe!

Later,

Hestia
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 20:47

BF:
Default Hi Hestia!

I am home now, in Conroe! Glad to be back in my surroundings so I can get back on track!

I have really been trying hard to do this CALP program as it reads, but it appears I have gained a couple of pounds from the reward meals. That is very disappointing!

I plan to keep trying really hard until the end of Februray, but if the scales don't begin to move, I suppose I will have to return to the Low Fat WOE? I hope this way works, but right now, I am having my doubts?

Have you lost any weight on the CALP, yet? Just wondering , how you are doing?

Diet Buddy down the road!
Jo Ann
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 22:24
Registered Member

BF:
Default Lost weight yet on CALP?

Jo Ann,

Welcome home!

I don't know if I have really lost any weight or not. I'm waiting until Saturday to average this weeks numbers. I started Sunday with 227 and was at 223.5 this morning. It could be something or nothing...don't know yet.

I'll check in later.

Hes