Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 11:51
Registered Member

Plan: montignac
Stats: 140/140/125
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default zone coach

Hi! i have greatly enjoyed reading your informed responses. i was always super thin despite eating nothing but junk food until i left college, then stress led me to binge eating. i cannot handle sugar of anykind. i finally lost the weight cutting carbs before my wedding. it felt great to be free from carb swings. then i gained it back. i could never find that control again to cut carbs, i really love them, plus good carbs seem to keep me in a happier mood. then had great success with somersizing. i easily got to goal. then stress binging led me to gain it back plus some, which is where i am now. at least 20 pounds overweight, with no muscle tone left, and feeling pretty depressive and tired. i think i have really messed my metabolism with all this yoyoing.
i tried to go back to somersizing, but it doesnt seem to work anymore. i have been reading these posts, and it just sounds so much more balanced. but i have it ingrained in my head that i cannot lose weight if i combine protein and fats with carbs.
i just want something simple and healthy that will allow me to slowly get back to losing and gaining muscle. and i have to enjoy it, or i will end up with my head in a cookie bag-this is what happens when i tried atkins twice in november.
i live in europe, and only have access to a pretty old version of the zone, which i will get tomorrow.
thanks for any advice. it is so frustrating, finding what works, with so many plans to choose from.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 23:29

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%
Default Balance

Quote:
Originally posted by daneo52
i have been reading these posts, and it just sounds so much more balanced.

Yes, the Zone is very balanced (IMO). You can (almost)not help getting a healthy balance of nutrients eating this way!

Quote:
Originally posted by daneo52 but i have it ingrained in my head that i cannot lose weight if i combine protein and fats with carbs.

Why? The basis behind insulin control (which is what this is) is to prevent insulin spikes or that dreaded "sugar rush/sugar crash" Note: Pasta turns to sugar in our bodies just about as fas as sucking on a sugar cube! Eating food in combination (protein, fats and carbs) helps to slow the entry into your bloodstream, thus preventing sugar spikes.
Quote:
Originally posted by daneo52 i just want something simple and healthy that will allow me to slowly get back to losing and gaining muscle.

There's going to be a learning curve ~ and exercise is strongly encouraged (of course)

Quote:
Originally posted by daneo52 and i have to enjoy it, or i will end up with my head in a cookie bag-this is what happens when ...

Try this: Follow the Zone for 2 weeks ~ and BE FAITHFUL. If you really have to have that bag of cookies ~~~ GO FOR IT!!!! Honest. Eat all you want. I don't think you're really going to want it in the first place, but if you do, that is fine. Within 2-3 hours of eating it, you'll feel like you've been drugged! We call it a carb hangover. It's just such an icky feeling, you'll not want to repeat.

Quote:
Originally posted by daneo52 i live in europe, and only have access to a pretty old version of the zone, which i will get tomorrow.

If it's the actual Enter the ZONE book from several years ago, it's the most difficult book to follow. It was written with health professionals in mind, not the general lay person. I suggest you follow the menus as they are printed, making substitutions as necessary (from the list in the back of the book). Don't try to understand all of the scientific gobbli-gook for now. If you can purchase A WEEK in the ZONE (a small paperback); it would serve you better.

An important note: The absolute MINIMUM block (you'll learn that) requirement is 11. Some of the real old material had 8 or 9 blocks as the minimum ~ obsolete information!!! If you have an average activity level, chances are your blocks will come out higher than 11 anyway.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by daneo52 thanks for any advice. it is so frustrating, finding what works, with so many plans to choose from.[QUOTE]
This plan truly does work.
For some up to date information, check out the FAQ section at drsears.com Many of your questions may already be answered there.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 00:47
Registered Member

Plan: montignac
Stats: 140/140/125
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default star52

thanks for taking the time to answer me. i do have the book you mentionned. i had read it last year in consideration, but it just seemed to complex, like i would never be able to get it right. plus i remember that the calories seemd so low. i honestly dont believe in low calorie diets, i like to work out.
so true about the carb hangover. sugar to me is really a drug. i found once i quit eating it, i felt like a new person. and if i eat it now, the reaction is severe.
on the montignac/somersize diet, they say if you eat fat with the carbs, the insulin spike from the carbs will store the fat. if you eat carbs with no fat, no fat storage! logically it doesnt make sense to me, but it did work really well for me a year ago.
i think i will do what you say, give it a try for 2 weeks. very good suggestion. but i have to wait until march, as i am leaving soon to travel through europe some, and trying to do a new diet in foreign coutries just sounds too complex for me!
will let you know how it goes!