Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-24-12, 03:43

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Calcium pills 'double heart attack risk'

Quote:
From the Telegraph
24 May, 2012

Calcium pills 'double heart attack risk'

Calcium supplements taken by millions of people every day can double the risk of heart attacks, according to a study, while researchers say they do little to protect bones against fractures.

Recommended by government advisors as a safe way to help fight osteoporosis, they are taken by up to 5m people in Britain.

But researchers say a new study adds to mounting evidence that the supplements are "not safe or particularly effective"

The latest study, which followed 24,000 middle-aged and elderly Germans for 11 years, found taking calcium pills roughly doubled the risk of having a heart attack.

Writing today in the journal Heart, German and Swiss academics find that heart attack risk "might be substantially increased by taking calcium supplements".

They conclude the pills "should be taken with caution" because they raise the annual risk of a heart attack from about one in 700 people to one in 350.

The scientists' findings are at odds with Department of Health advice, published on the NHS Choices website, that "taking 1,500mg or less of calcium supplements is unlikely to cause any harm".

It only warns: "Taking high doses of calcium could lead to stomach pain and diarrhoea."

The National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence (Nice) also recommends them for women who need treatment for osteoporosis, unless they already get enough calcium from their diet.

Calcium is essential for healthy bones and adults need about 700mg a day. Clinicians agree it is best to get it through food but some people find this difficult.

Taking it in pill form has become very popular - either alone, in combination with magnesium or vitamin D, or as part of a multi-vitamin. Pills often contain 500mg calcium or more.

According to Mintel, the market research firm, 11 per cent of British adults - equivalent to 5m people - took calcium supplements in the last year.

However, commenting on the new research by the University of Zurich and the German Cancer Reserch Centre in Heidelberg, published in Heart, two leading researchers warn: "The safety of calcium supplements is now coming under considerable scrutiny."

They say there is strong evidence that taking pill calcium floods the blood with the mineral, leading to hardening of the arteries and raising heart attack risk.

Dr Mark Bolland and Professor Ian Reid of Auckland University in New Zealand say today's study "reinforces the conclusions" of previous research.

A 2010 BMJ review covering 12,000 people found supplements raised the risk by a third, they say, while a 2011 study of 28,000 people found they increased heart attacks by more than a quarter.

A recent Australian study was even more "sobering", according to the pair. That report, published earlier this year, found "elderly and frail" people who took 600mg daily pills were 76 per cent more likely to die from cardiovascular disease over three years than those not on them.

"The evidence is steadily mounting for a real cardiovascular adverse effect from the use of calcium supplements," they write.

Evidence also suggested that "the anti-fracture effects of calcium [supplements] are modest".

They conclude: "The consistent evidence is that calcium supplements do more harm than good and that other interventions are preferable for reducing the risk of osteoporosis fractures...

"It is now becoming clear that taking this micronutrient in one or two daily boluses [pills] is not natural, in that it does not reproduce the same metabolic effcts as calcium in food.

"The evidence is also becoming steadily stronger that it is not safe, nor is it particularly effective."

Dr Claire Bowring of the National Osteoporosis Society said "care" was needed with calcium supplements.

"If you get all of the calcium that you need from your diet then a supplement will not be necessary," she said.

"Supplementation may be warranted if you are unable to get enough calcium in your diet, but it needs to be done with consideration.

"If you have a heart condition or if you feel you may be at risk of a heart attack it is important to talk to your GP."

Dr Carrie Ruxton, of the Health Supplements Information Service, said it was "irresponsible" to advise women with osteoporosis not to take supplements "on the basis of one flawed study".

It lacked information on calcium doses and results could have been skewed by differences between participants' underlying health, she claimed.

She said: "Osteoporosis is a real issue for women and it is irresponsible for scientists to advise that women cut out calcium supplements on the basis of one flawed survey, particularly when the link between calcium, vitamin D and bone health is endorsed by the European Food Safety Authority."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...ttack-risk.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 06:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

My BIL was taking 1200mg of calcium a day. When I told him that Vit D3 was really important, he started taking 10k a day of that. He was getting stomach pains, so he took Tums.

One day he couldn't stand up and he was incoherant, so my sister took him to the emergency room. They thought he had a stroke. She said he babbled all night long, but didn't make any sense with what he was saying. The doctors were baffled. So I asked her if he was still taking the Vit D3 and she said yes and told me also about the calcium. She said he was also a big ice cream eater and drank a lot of milk. I suggested that they tell the doctor that and get a calcium level taken. She did and the doctors found he had toxic levels of calcium. They started treating him for that and within 3 days he was back to normal.

Because of this, I stopped taking my calcium all together. The doctor was always warning me about getting too much. He also told me he thought I should cut back on the 10k of Vit D3, so I did. Recently I am having a real issue with joint pain and leg aches. The other day, I was thinking--gee, I don't eat much dairy and I'll bet that my calcium and D levels have drastically dropped, so I started back on them at the previous levels. It's been about 3 days and already I don't ache as much and my hands haven't hurt like they did.

So, I think you can get way too much calcium, but you can also suffer if you don't get enough. You have to evaluate what you are eating and find out what works best for yourself.