Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 14:42
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%
Default fat/hunger question

The last few days I've been eating the same thing for breakfast and seeing when I'm hungry and how I'm feeling.

I have 27g carbs, 21g Protein, 2g fat

By 3 hours I feel pretty hungry, but energetic. I was just wondering if being low on the fat would account for that or is it always the carb/protein ratios that affect hunger? I had breakfast at 7, and had a coffee with a little cream at 9 to add more fat in.

Also, I can't have nuts or peanut butter. I have no self-control with those 2 food. I can't eat only 3 macadamian nuts. Are there other fats you can add to a fruit salad for breakfast, or is the coffee/cream thing good enough?

Nancy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 14:52

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%
Default Re: fat/hunger question

Quote:
Originally posted by nawchem
The last few days I've been eating the same thing for breakfast and seeing when I'm hungry and how I'm feeling.

By 3 hours I feel pretty hungryNancy

Fat has no effect on insulin. It slows the absorbsion of carbs and adds to satiety (the feeling of fullness). YES YES YES ! Please have 9g fat with your breakfast!!!!

The mental clarity and energy is great, isn't it!!!??!!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 23:20

Default Re: fat/hunger question

Quote:

By 3 hours I feel pretty hungry, but energetic. I was just wondering if being low on the fat would account for that or is it always the carb/protein ratios that affect hunger? I had breakfast at 7, and had a coffee with a little cream at 9 to add more fat in.

Also, I can't have nuts or peanut butter. I have no self-control with those 2 food. I can't eat only 3 macadamian nuts. Are there other fats you can add to a fruit salad for breakfast, or is the coffee/cream thing good enough?

Nancy

How about some toasted slivered almonds? Or what if you were to crush the mac nuts and sprinkle over your fruit salad? Try to consume your fats with your meals because it slows insulin production. Coffee can also stimulate insulin. I hope you're weaning yourself off caffiene or at least limiting to 1 cup per day. What is the fat count in the amount of creamer you use?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 11:30
Registered Member

Hi ZC,
I can't have nuts at all, at work we have them in small bags and I can eat the bag over the day on Atkins, otherwise whatever amount I buy will be gone shortly.

I haven't had caffeine in years I was just drinking decaf as a way to add fat. The creamer I use has 3.5g fat in 2tb. Its half n half.

Nancy
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 14:51

Quote:
Hi ZC,
I can't have nuts at all, at work we have them in small bags and I can eat the bag over the day on Atkins, otherwise whatever amount I buy will be gone shortly.

I haven't had caffeine in years I was just drinking decaf as a way to add fat. The creamer I use has 3.5g fat in 2tb. Its half n half.

Nancy

My main concern here is the saturated fat. A breakfast with 21g of protein should have 9g of fat. Depending on your protein source, some of that 9g may already be included which would also be saturated.

I understand wanting to stay away from nuts. I'm certain that after following Zone principles for a few weeks, those urges and cravings will go away. Meanwhile, supplement with as much olive oil, canola oil, almond butter, avacado, etc. as possible.

Suggestion? Could you keep slivered almonds (toasted - yum) on hand without devouring them? What if you were to try crushing macadamia nuts immediately upon purchase (a coffee grinder should work), store in the fridge and spoon out only what you need?

I have found thinking of foods I have trouble with as "condiments" makes it a little easier.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 17:28
Registered Member

I think you're right about the crushed nuts, I have some crushed peanuts that have been here a while, I also have almond butter, for some reason I don't crave that either. For breakfast I use lowfat cottage cheese could I switch to regular?
Nancy

thanks for helping us out here.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 22:22

Default Update

Quote:
I think you're right about the crushed nuts, I have some crushed peanuts that have been here a while, I also have almond butter, for some reason I don't crave that either.
How have things been working for you?

Quote:
For breakfast I use lowfat cottage cheese could I switch to regular?
Nancy.

You could, but again, that's a saturated fat. Lo-fat or no-fat would be better options with added monounsaturated fat.

Quote:
thanks for helping us out here.
You're very welcome.