Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-10-02, 19:32
Registered Member

Plan: LC + LowER Cal (~1500)
Stats: 159/155/145?
BF:16%, goal 6-7%
Progress: 5%
Question Is milk bad?

Hey everyone! It has been a while since I've been back. I've been off working at the gym . How is everyone?

I had a question... lately I've been drinking lots and lots of milk. I looked up its GI and it says 35-40. Yet I hear, from many places, that milk is not good for the diet. So is it?

I really like milk because
a) it is easy to get - always there when I need it.
b) its GI is 35-40 (?)
c) it is very filling
d) it has a good balance of fat and protein
e) it is a great snack. it really helps control hypoglycemia.

So... what do you guys think? I've been drinking tons... my mom buys 5 gallons a week she says and I drink most of it. lol

Thx,
Alex

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 01:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

Hi, I don't think any food is 'bad' necessarily. Some things about milk:
It contains lactose - a sugar, but one which doesn't raise the blood sugars too fast (hence lowish glycaemic index)
Not everyone can digest lactose - if you can't you get a bad gut. In fact, adults from western european origin are some of the only adults that can digest the stuff (and not all of them can) - most folk lost milk enzymes around the age of 4.
Some folk (some women especially) can't lose when taking in large quantities of dairy products, even allowing for the carbs and the calories. It seems it might be to do with the cow hormones in the milk being a bit too much like our female hormones (which blokes have too, in small amounts) and causing us to hang onto fat.
On the very plus side, its an excellent source of calcium.

So - if you're ok with milk and you're counting its carbs (and calories if you do that) and losing on it, then go ahead! The above are just some reasons why you may find other folk talking against it.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 06:27
Registered Member

Plan: LC + LowER Cal (~1500)
Stats: 159/155/145?
BF:16%, goal 6-7%
Progress: 5%
Talking Thanks

Thanks Jaykay! I can see where the controversy comes from. It is funny that you say many people, especially from non-western european decent, can't digest milk. I have many friends from all over the world, but what I find most is that there are many Black Americans that have trouble with lactose. I heard a surprising statistic at some point. I think it was something like 1/2 of the Black American population has problems with milk. It interesting how genetics work.

I think I tolerate milk pretty well. Sometimes a little gas, but i think thats more from artificial sweetners (splenda and the other one that is used a lot in Canada - ace*** K). Is there anyway that you can suggest that I can see if it is a problem for me? I dont really measure my weight anymore because I'm working gaining muscle. I guess a bodyfat test works. My parents are saying I look so much slimmer and girls are noticing at school ( ). I guess that says a lot in itself.

I have another question ... hehe. Do you know what the deal is with Whole Wheat eggo waffles? It says something like 20g "other carbs". What does that mean? I usually have one serving (2 waffles) every day. What do you think?

Anyway, I'll stop talking . Thanks a lot for you response!

Alex
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-02, 09:31
Registered Member

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 255/204/140
BF:
Progress: 44%

Alex drink your milk!!

At you age you need the calcium for bones, teeth and stuff. I know there are other ways to get it but if you like drinking it stick with it!
If anything drink 2%. This way the fat is not so bad. If
I remember correctly that's what the SB book recommends.

Good for you that you picked a healthy food plan to stick with. My 15 year old daughter started SB last month after she saw how well I was doing on it. I'm totally happy that she is eating healthy and not some weird plan that will compromise her health or set her up to fail.

I'm not sure about the waffles. Every one I've seen does not appear legal to me.

Cheryl