Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 07:48

Plan: loosely follow Atkins
Stats: 162/150/125 Female 5'5''
BF:
Progress:
Default New user from Italy

Ciao!

I'm so pleased to have found this forum - it's the most active I've seen yet! I've been low carbing all by myself here in Italy since June of this year, with my closest support being a board I found in the UK. Even if a lot of the products, measuring/counting methods are different than I use here, it's a real pleasure to read all of your threads and see just how much low carb has taken hold in the states.

I am American, but I live here in Capri where I have a holiday cooking company with my Italian husband. We offer cooking vacations where people come and learn how to cook our local dishes, go on excursions, and enjoy really active, fun holidays. It's been a little sticky for me to be in the kitchen with our clients this season, preparing all kinds of pastas, pizzas, etc. and explaining why I don't eat them afterwards! Allthough we do all kinds of veggies, fish, etc. too of course...

I don't find myself suffering at all with my food choices though - I have such an abundance of wonderful things to eat that I honestly don't miss the pasta (much!). The mediterranean diet is really easily adapted to low carbing - basically just cutting out the bread, pasta and desserts gets you pretty darned close to where you want to be.

I am such a convert now (feeling great, off my meds, losing a modest amount of weight but lots of centimeters) that I have even been inspired to come up with a low carb version of our cooking vacation! We scheduled the first one for October, I really hope we can fill it up so I can let you all know how it goes.

I would say my biggest challenge - well maybe not even really a challenge, more like a sadness - is that I have committed myself to a way of life that clashes with the cultural traditions of my husband, his family, and our social group. No more meeting friends for a pizza or inviting a large informal group over for spaghetti. No more Sunday desserts lovingly baked and sent over warm from my mother in law, and no more of my husband's favorite dishes at our family table. As food is such an important part of Italian culture, and even more so in our family as we run our company together, this is definitely a life changing decision that I've made. I must give a lot of credit to my husband who has not once complained, not once asked me to cook something for him that I can't eat myself, and keeps me on the straight and narrow when I'm tempted by gelato!

I hope to visit this forum often now that I've found it, and look forward to learning more about low carbing from you all. I am happy to serve as a resource to any of you who are interested in Italian low carb cooking (I have come up with a great low carb pasta recipe!) too.

Saluti da Capri,
-Eli
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 09:25
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello from Canada!

Congratulations on your hard work! It sounds like you're adapting wonderfully. Cooking skills are a big asset to any low-carber.

If I didn't already have another trip planned, I'd come to your cooking vacation. I love cooking. Someday...

Best of luck to you!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 13:04
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Welcome! My family is Italian as well...cooking and eating is definately a form of nurturance and family ties. BUT! I'm sure when they see you melt away to your former svelte self they will understand.

Congrats on your loss so far!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 16:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/???/120 Female 5' 3
BF:way/too/much!!
Progress: 0%

Hello and Welcome!

This is a great place for info, advice and support.

Good luck!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 13:43
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (since 7/03
Stats: 255/213/130 Female 62 inches
BF:47%/39%/24%
Progress: 34%

Hellow Eli and Welcome!

I too come from an Italian background on my mother's side. Eating is like breathing in Italian families. Everything centers around food. Congratulations on your success and I hope to see some recipe postings from you. You'll be a real asset!