Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-06, 09:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%
Default Fark.com debate on Atkins...

Entertaining to see how low-carb is perceived by a sometimes very ignorant group of people. There are some very good posters there trying to explain that low carb isn't about a pound of bacon each meal. Some light reading on this New Year's Day...

http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/com...?IDLink=1833417
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-06, 09:28
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

I nearly spat my coffee out where one poster said "I'm sure there's a risque joke in there somewhere, something about being worried for my girlfriend" and another poster followed that upwith "no need to worry about your girlfriend, I've been giving her plenty of protein."

Thanks for the link, it was very amusing reading!! Some people - honestly!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-06, 09:32
From Flab to Fab!

Quote:
Wow, news flash: different diets work differently for different people. Amazing.

Equally amazing is that those who eat a lot of junk and don't exercise are fatty fat fats.

I'm in fear of peeing my pants here.....soooooo funny!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-06, 09:32
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

ROFLsnort!!

quote:
"I think Dr Atkins died of constipation."
from a poster named duckpoopy ...

#5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-06, 09:36
From Flab to Fab!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
ROFLsnort!!

quote:
"I think Dr Atkins died of constipation."
from a poster named duckpoopy ...

I LOVE that link - it's the funniest thing I have seen in a long long time, thanks so much kyrasdad for posting it, I am reading it now and have tears running down my cheeks!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-06, 12:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
The authors based the diet on several studies, including one of 100 overweight women which they carried out themselves.

Laughed out loud. I wonder, did they carry the overweight women out one at a time or all at once?

/lift with your knees

Ok, that's good.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-06, 14:08
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Tealeaf's post actually makes a good point:

Quote:
I remember when the Atkins diet first became popular years ago. Many were claiming that it gave liscene to eat all you want, as long as you stayed away from carbs. I had people telling me that they could eat a pound of salami and cheese for lunch and dinner, and lose more than I could go by going low fat. I especially remember one magazine article on the diet that featured a large photo closeup of a slab of prime rib, garnished with a large chunk of melting butter, and the words "Diet Food?" emblazoned across. And I remember reading about a quote from the started of the diet himself where he said some to the effect of "Extra slices of chicken at dinner? Nonsense! I eat extra (i>chickens!".

People got hostile to those of us who are fat, but refused to go on the diet. About a third of the office where I worked at the time were doing Atkins, and I was approached and given "advice" several time of how I could get healthy if I would just put down the bread and pick up some bacon! Some really became mean, implying that by not chosing to join Atkins, I was offending them by choosing to stay fat when there was such an easy solution!

It always seemed like a fad diet gone mad to me. And a little cult-like to boot. In later times the main backers of the diet backed off from buttered steaks and extra chicken claims, but I don't doubt that there are people who still believe it is true. And if they don't lose weight doing it, it is because they cheated, ate a cracker or some ketchup at some point, not because Atkins failed in anyway.

Fad diets come, fad diets go. But Calories in < Calories burned = weight loss is here to stay.

He or she does have a good point about "atkins mania". I remember people really did believe that only eating carbs was it possible to raise insulin and gain fat; I was told this several times. In fact, people thought NOT eating was the reason stalls happened!
People really thought it was an eat all you want deal. People really thought if you were failing to lose weight despite not paying attention to how much food you were eating, the first thing you should look at is your carb intake (even if you were on a near ketogenic program already). Fortunately few people believe this now, but like tealeaf says, there probably are still some of us who really believe in the "fad" image of low carbing.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-06, 14:30
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

I also find it interesting that most people seem to think obesity is caused by lack of exercise. I suppose it makes them feel better about being so judgmental (even though most of them don't exercise, either, yet are thin). If you imagine fat people to fit the "unproductive and lazy" stereotype, you are justified in your hatred?

I will pay money to anyone who can show one documented case where people resolved obesity by exercise alone. Even that guy walking across america is barely making progress with his weight problem using that strategy.
It just can't be done, because ultimately, obesity is a diet and lifestyle problem; it is not some "laziness begotten of immorality" problem like these hateful idiots think. Exercise HELPS don't misunderstand: it helps to control sugar and it helps it improve how much "slip up" you can get away with before gaining. Meaning someone who as a habit is a regular exerciser will find it easier to maintain (or lose) with less thought about what they eat. But ultimately it's not a deciding factor, and exercise did not make or break my weight loss because I knew no matter how much I ate if I ate less my body would have to get that energy from my body.

The exercise part is just a small subset of lifestyle, and it is as important as choosing which color interior you want in your brand new car. The car is a diet overhaul, the gizmos inside the other components of lifestyle. It's all diet. That's also the reason we are fat, too, diet. Most people who are obese are so because we have a genetically determined very low tolerance for sugar food - the food we grew up with viewing as "normal". The ones with no weight problem are the lucky ones who can handle high sugar loads; binges at the olive garden, huge concentrated meals, constant spikes of sugar don't do to them what it does to me and you. We eat more and gain more easily as a result.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-06, 15:04

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
The ones with no weight problem are the lucky ones who can handle high sugar loads; binges at the olive garden, huge concentrated meals, constant spikes of sugar don't do to them what it does to me and you.

If by that you mean it doesn't make everyone fat, perhaps. However, I don't honestly believe that there are many that 'get away with' or 'handle' a high carb lifestyle forever and the negative effects of eating that way go far beyond weight control. The only question is how long it will take to catch up to people, not when.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-06, 16:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/190/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

Just gotta pop in and say (feeling like a bit of a spoilsport) that while I did find some of the comments in this thread funny/ridiculous...I found my overall response to be a bit of depression with how so many human beings speak/think about each other. Overall it made me sad at the declining social mentality of the human race. Whether or not these same people act(speak aloud) on their thoughts really doesnt matter....that's where their minds are at...and it's both sad and a bit scary. It's depressing to me that people can be so callous, hurtful, and uncaring...even if it's only expressed online and in their thoughts.

I dont care if someone is overweight because they eat 3 dozen donuts a day sitiing in front of a tv...it doesnt mean I have the right to feel superior or to hate them for that lack in judgement. Those people could just as easily have me beat 3 ways to Sunday in terms of being good and gracious and giving...who knows? And for every biatchy heavy person...I can find a skinny one.

The blackness presented in some of the hateful thoughts/views on that thread just bummed me right the heck out.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-06, 16:57
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I think I've met some of those people.

duckpoopy aside, I do have to say I've met almost as many "Butter that bacon and wrap it around some pepperoni!" people as I have "You'll wreck your kidneys, you fatty fat fat." types.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-06, 18:22

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
duckpoopy aside, I do have to say I've met almost as many "Butter that bacon and wrap it around some pepperoni!" people as I have "You'll wreck your kidneys, you fatty fat fat." types.
Do you have a recipe for that pepperoni dish? How do you get the butter to stick to the bacon?
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-06, 18:35
Fully Caffeinated

You have to let the bacon get a little bit cold. Ruins the whole thing for me, personally.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-06, 19:00

Plan: Atkins/keto
Stats: 246/237.6/118 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 7%

People on the internet I think will say things they would never have the nerve to say to someone in thier real everyday life. They feel protected with thier cute web site names and in situations like that can say anything that comes their mind.
I had a hard time finding some of it funny , it made me a bit sad , I just cannot be that judgemental about other people and the way they want to eat. Maybe just losing my Mom made it hard for me to find jokes about Dr Atkins dying of constipation funny.
I suppose I am just tired of defending my way of eating to others as I struggle to stay on it sometimes. I know it is what I need to do, but when all those foods are out there, it is sometimes so hard.
I am not offended if others find it funny,and appologize if I sound that way, I am all for free speech. Change web sites if it is offending. I just had a hard time seeing most of the humor in it. Stephie
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-06, 20:03
Fully Caffeinated

Sometimes laughing keeps a person from crying, but sometimes there's just no finding the humor in things when they hit too close to home.