Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 01:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 225/178/155 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Need tips from BC'ers on going to US for LC foods

I'm planning a trip from Vancouver to Bellingham (and surrounding area) to pick up all these Low-carb foods everyone keeps talking about. I know some of you have mentioned some places to stop at, but the info is all scattered and hard to find. I'm wondering if anyone here has a list of the good places to hit while we're down there? I'm mainly looking for... Diet Rite, Tortillas, Davinci Syrops, and any other "only in US" type products.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 09:31
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Brian,

You should pop into Jean's journal if she doesn't come by this thread. She and a group of local LC'ers just went on a trip to Bellingham and know where to go to get the goodies.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 10:51
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%

Last weekend I was in White Rock and decided to cross the border and see if I could find some Diet Rite pop. I took the truck crossing and at the first set of lights turn left, go about a block and you will see a Cost Cutters store on your right. They sell Diet Rite. I bought 5 dozen cola, one dozen White Grape, and a six pack of Red Raspberry.

Arnie
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 10:53
Contributing Member

Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%

You can buy Davinci syrup (limited selection) from JJ Bean on Comercial and Powel St. I think they sell it for the lowest price you will find the stuff.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 20:11
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the tip Arnie_g. As for Jean's journal, call me impatient but I'm not really into reading through 65 pages of stuff. Anyone else? Now I'm mainly concerned with the Tortillas (and similar products).
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 09:36
Registered Member

Stats: 238/190/155 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Look For This Thread

Hi Brian,
There is a thread a couple pages back called "LC Poducts in Blaine" I've included a quote from it, but if you go there you will get info on addresses and Free Trade Exemptions.

I hope this helps

Colin

Walmart - the section with atkins bars was pretty bare lot's of empty boxes but they did have endulge peanut butter cups for $4.23
for a box of five so I got 2 boxes for $8.46

cash and carry - This is a cool little place and they had tons of davinci syrups about 5 or 6 shelves just for the sugar free davinci
the also had torino sugar free, I got the davinci banana,chocolate,hazlebut,cherry,cola and root beer they were $3.65 each so 6 X $3.65 = $21.90
compared to 15.99 each at the low carb store in north van..next time I go i'm gonna bring a cooler with me I almost bought a 3pound block of cream chesse
for $2.99 but I thought it would not be a very good idea in the summer.

Natures Edge - I bought 2 atkins white bread mixes for 5.99 and pizza crust box for 5.89 atkins maple syrup for 3.99 atkins teriaki sauce for 3.99 some buns that come in a box for 2.59
and 2 ashers milk chocolate bars for 1.35 each. I wanted to get the ashers liquid caramel bar and tortias but the lady sold out of them in the morning she also told me that they have fresh
bread and ice cream but they were sold out and they will be getting more later this week it would be a good idea to give the store a call first before you go to see if they have any bread that day.

Cost Cutter - it was right next to the natures edge store so I popped in a bought 2 cases of diet rite the rasberry and the white grape for 3.99 each

the border was no trouble the guy just wanted to know if I bought any poultry and I said no and he waved me through.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 10:48
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks colinjn, this is exactly the info I was looking for.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 12:04
Recovering Yo-Yo

Plan: What's best for me
Stats: 291.6/147/164 Female 5'8"
BF:A work in progress
Progress: 113%

Hi Brian,

Here is the list that Jean posted for me in my journal for when I go south next weekend:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanyyy
Blaine - 1733 H Street "Natural Edge" vitamin store - Atkins mixes, shakes, bakemix and sauces, Keto pudding and cereal, Carbsense bake mix, Low Carb Creations cheesecake (frozen), Atkins ice cream, LC bread sometimes. There's a Cost Cutter in that mall too (Diet Rite and God knows what else).

Smart & Final Cash & Carry - 405 Ohio Street (Exit 254) Davinci and Torani syrups galore! And cheap! Talking Rain Ice Botanical drinks too.

Walmart - 4420 Meridien - SF candy, mostly

Costco - 4299 Meridien - 1 lb bags of Hormel real bacon bits, 700 envelope Splenda, Talking Rain drinks

GNC - 1225 East Sunset Drive (Exit 255) - Keto stuff, Atkins stuff, etc

Fred Meyer - 1225 W Bakerview Rd (near Bellis Fair) - Atkins ice cream, Fit for Life LC bread (freezer), Soy Slender Splenda-sweetened soy milk, Atkins stuff, Carbsense, etc.

Safeway - La Tortilla brand LC tortillas, Diet Rite drinks, spaghetti sauces, Alpine SF apple cider drink, Swiss Miss diet hot cocoa, Jimmy Dean sausage, cheese.

Haggen's - 1815 Main Street, Ferndale - Another grocery store with Diet Rite, Atkins products, cheese, sausage etc.

This should help. Happy shopping!

Jo
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 02:23
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks josiecat.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 21:25

Stats: 146/136/133 Female 5'8.5"
BF:
Progress: 77%

[COLOR=darkslateblue]
I was at Bellis Fair mall a couple of weeks ago, and checked out the GNC (next to Target), they have a ton of LC items there! It is really worth checking out. As for diet rite, I ususally buy it at any Fred Meyer. If you live close to Point Roberts, the big grocery store there sells it too.

I also checked out the Low Carb Wellness Centre in North Van, they also have a fairly good selection of items, but are having difficulty bringing in some brands due to english/french labeling. I'm also told that the Low Carb baker has a fairly good selection of baked goodies too.

Happy Shopping!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 00:13
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks everyone. I went down there and picked up a ton of low-carb goodies. The biggest shocker of all was the unexpected find of Diet Cherry Coke. I love Cherry Coke! I was also surprised at how much more low-carb stuff they had in general in the US, and weird stuff too (I bought microwave pork rinds).
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 01:20

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Brian,

I just saw this thread! Glad Josie posted the info I'd given her for you, though Where did you find the microwave pork rinds? I've been wanting to try those!

I hope you made it to the Cash & Carry, the Da Vinci and Torani syrups there are $3.29 to $3.65 US.. a wonderful deal and sooooooo many flavours!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 13:43
Registered Member

BF:

The microwave pork rinds were at Walmart. They only had a few in one of the checkout isles. I did get to Cash & Carry, great selection, the only one I wanted & wasn't able to get was Orange (sold out).
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 15:06

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Darn! I've been wanting the Gingerbread syrup, but I don't think I've ever seen it there. Must send them email on that topic! I will look for the microwave pork rinds next time I'm down there. Thanks for the tip!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 08:32

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 168/150/148 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 90%

Can anyone tell me if there is any store in Blaine/Bellingham that carries "Just the Cheese brand Crunchy Baked Cheese"?

http://www.specialcheese.com/orders.htm

They look like a great snack food, but the company doesn't distribute to Canada, and the company could not tell me which stores carry the product.

Thank you.

John