Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 04:44

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 220/203/186 Female 5 ft 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default When did you REALLY believe you could reach the goal?

I'm really only just starting but have realised I am saying 'if I reach my goal' rather than 'when'. This may sound negative thinking but I just think it seems so far away and I have failed so many times. I think it is like they say at AA (not that I am an AA member!) - one day at a time. Perhaps little goals at a time. One big goal seems too daunting. I think I will know I can do it when I reach the weight I was before my son was born. I'll still be 30lbs away, but I'll have enough confidence in my determination and be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

So, I just wanted to ask you maintainers, when did you really know you were going to make it?

And of course, very well done all of you!

Last Chance
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 15:24

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

I knew I would succeed as soon as I was past induction. The ease of this WOE and the way it fit into my 'way' of thinking was part of it and losing an initial 9 pounds was the other.

I initally set my goal too high (150) because I still had an underlying fear I wouldn't make it if I set it "too low". Then I read somewhere that to set a goal too high was actually working AGAINST what I was trying to do. That the correct goal was the weight that I remember feeling 'best' at. So I reset it to 140-144 believing that a range was best, since I didn't believe for a second that I could wake up every morning for the rest of my life being at an exact weight.

On the journey downward, however, I did set mini-goals of every 5 pounds. I promised myself a reward each time I got to each goal, but I kept deferring the "reward" telling myself, "oh go on, you can do better" - this kept me motivated and I kept "upping" the reward. At 149 pounds I bought myself a ring in my birthstone (sapphire) - that was to reward me for going below my original goal.

Now my reward is how great I feel - I just shovelled 8 inches of snow for 45 minutes - I am not breathing hard, and I'm not sweating and nothing hurts.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 22:35
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm not a maintainer, but I'm close.

My goal was originally 150, but I changed it to 140 after hitting the 150 range.

I thought I would reach it sooner. Maybe I'll hit it by the end of this year, maybe I won't.

Shortly after starting, I knew this would be my way of eating for life. I could still eat great and tasty food, not be hungry, improve my health and lose weight. It was, and still is a miracle.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 10:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%

I have never doubted reaching my goal. I have done that several times on other ways of eating...my biggest fear was maintaining it which I have done now for 5 months. I feel well, am satisfied and so now Im much more confident I will be able to maintain it.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 10:52

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 220/203/186 Female 5 ft 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Thanks girls, I have raised my goal but it now has a time goal too - my holiday in the summer so it is a time and size I can relate to. When I get there (don't doubt I can get there) I am also sure I will lower it to the original one. I am aiming for 1.5 lbs per week + 7 extra on average till July 4th. That gets me into some very nice designer suits for work! And that's a good start. I am of course, planning skimpier clothing for the hols!!

I'll get out of the maintainers forum now. Thanks for answering my question, oh admirable ones!

Last Chance
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 10:55

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm not at maintenance by any means, but I noticed about 6 weeks into this WOE that I stopped saying "IF" and switched to "When" - I've never looked back.

Now that I have adoped LC as my WOL the fat loss becomes less important - this is how I live and eat every day, the weight is going to come off eventually - it can't help but.

Realizing that I am relatively close to my goal hasnt hit home - perhaps I should start making some decisions!

Nat